BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

DIY over the weekend. VRSF IC and CP

Ok, so it wasn't really that bad. You need a complete set of tools. Extensions, 6 sided sockets, internal ratcheting wrench made getting to the VBand bolt VERY easy.

Actually the IC was more challenging getting the clamps clocked and tightened and the IC up into the car than doing the downpipe. I recommend removal of the front bumper cover but you don't have to. It makes the trimming of the plastic much easier and less painful. (Hot plastic being thrown off from the Dremel) I think it's mandatory to have a second person.

The DP was very straightforward. Unless you're very, very good this is also a two person job. I messed with it for about an hour trying to get it just right. No deal. I ended up with holding the pipe tight against the turbo while my son reached up and focused entirely on the VBand and getting the bolt back in.

I blasted the exhaust bolts with PB Blaster a couple of times while doing the Intercooler. Top two came off, bottom two snapped. New nuts and bolts are provided with the Down pipe.

This is a very good write up IMO:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=27

Thoughts on it and my experience though. I did not have to drop the subframe to get it out. With patience, care and a little geometry it comes out. Nor did I have to use an O2 sensor wrench. I held the pipe snug and they came out with gentle persuasion.

Sound is absolutely acceptable and glorious. It's how the car should have come. I'm still on MHD Map 1 and will work my way up. When you're on the boost it has a powerful sound. When you're driving it around town or on the highway it's barely distinguishable from stock. I do mean barely. No drone, no rumble, no vibration. If you didn't know, you wouldn't know it's on there.

I chose to do the Go Fast Bits diverter valve which I'm going to have someone else do. Stock one won't hold the Stage 2+ boost level. Do it right. I don't like the PSSSSHHHHHH of a BOV. Do the charge pipe.

Some exhaust smell when idling. None in the cabin while driving. Tolerable.

I'll post a follow-up after it's all done.

-Jim

Last edited by Luftmeister; 06-04-2018 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: Additional info.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

You're going to love 2+ it's a blast and good thing you don't like Bovs because you would have been hurt to find out there is no bov solution for our n55.
Overall sounds like you made pretty easy work of it all. My bolts on the exhaust end were impossible, ended up having to drop the mids and dp together and cut the bolts off. Great writeup!
Appreciate 1
      06-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Luftmeister
Office Linebacker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
You're going to love 2+ it's a blast and good thing you don't like Bovs because you would have been hurt to find out there is no bov solution for our n55.
Overall sounds like you made pretty easy work of it all. My bolts on the exhaust end were impossible, ended up having to drop the mids and dp together and cut the bolts off. Great writeup!
Thank you and I consider myself a reasonably good mechanic. Patience is important with this stuff. I had done similar stuff when I was an STI guy and thought, "Screw it. I'll try the pipe."

Did you do your diverter valve or are you stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftmeister View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YearOneOne View Post
Thank you and I consider myself a reasonably good mechanic. Patience is important with this stuff. I had done similar stuff when I was an STI guy and thought, "Screw it. I'll try the pipe."

Did you do your diverter valve or are you stock?
Yeah I read all the diys and was like this will be hell but it was very quick and simple. If you need to take it off and put it back on or something I found that if you hang the vband on the turbo flange, butt the dp up and knock the clamp on its easy peasy lemon squeezy!

I still have my stock dv. It's holding up alright at the moment but I'm gonna to change it when I get some time it does leak off a bit of boost under wot though
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Thanks for the review, good luck with it!
Appreciate 0