BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-30-2009, 03:23 AM   #1
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Anyone worried about about tunes/mods affecting warranty?

Just seen some with some pretty major tunes and modifications to their cars. I know the BMW only comes with a standard 3 yr warranty.
But does anyone here with mods care if they lose say their engine warranty?

Has BMW voided anyone's warranty yet?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 03:46 AM   #2
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

there has been people on here that have had their warranty viod, there are some people who have had close calls and only gotten away with it because they are quite friendly with the BMW sales staff or service tech. All in all, if you dont want to risk it then dont do it because ANY modification has the ability to void your warranty. some people say what they dont know wont hurt them, I also believe that you need to have a good relationship with your dealership because at the end of the day the parts are paid for by BMW AG not the dealership themselves so providing your car does not have massive mods then they will always try and get it over the line if they can. Also your warranty is not always going to be void if you mod your car but only if they can prove that your problem is directly related to your modification. I hope this helps.

Matt.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Just seen some with some pretty major tunes and modifications to their cars. I know the BMW only comes with a standard 3 yr warranty.
But does anyone here with mods care if they lose say their engine warranty?

Has BMW voided anyone's warranty yet?
BMW can void your warranty for something as small as changing your exhaust if they believe it damaged something else. One poor sucker did his turbo's & motor with a packaging peanut from an intake / bov in the US from memory.

If you have tune then be honest and prepared to pay to play. That said don't take any crap for issues that effect stock cars i.e hpfp, vanos jamming etc.

Best advise is choose a tune that has proven reliable and has lots of expertise behind it. I've run my car for 35000 km tuned and no issue associated with it.

BTW I noticed today that one of the major ones was selling stock turbos for cores, IMHO they must have pushed something too far I guess you need to choose wisely

Cheers,

S
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 05:20 AM   #4
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Well Im only doing cosmetic mods until the warrenty period is over.
Only performance mods I will consider putting on the car are totally reversible ones like intakes, DDV, ecu.
And if you going to do performance mods get a bit of insurance by buying the BT tool. This tool will wipe out all codes from the ecu before going to the dealers. No manipulation codes = warranty intact.
Unless anyone else knows how the dealers can void your warranty, please chime in.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 05:27 AM   #5
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynoway View Post
Well Im only doing cosmetic mods until the warrenty period is over.
Only performance mods I will consider putting on the car are totally reversible ones like intakes, DDV, ecu.
And if you going to do performance mods get a bit of insurance by buying the BT tool. This tool will wipe out all codes from the ecu before going to the dealers. No manipulation codes = warranty intact.
Unless anyone else knows how the dealers can void your warranty, please chime in.

A BT tool is necessary for SSTT, JB and Active Tunes.

Proceed now wipes codes & tells you what they were as well in the user software so no need for BT tool (that said i have both).
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 07:25 AM   #6
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

hey Stewart nice pic, im in it too... hahahha
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I was just thinking...the first service is at around 2 years. That leaves just one year of warranty left anyway they can take away from you if they find anything. People keep peddling these BT scanners. To get one of those BT scanners to Australia would cost around AU$600 delivered. That is a bit steep for a year's worth of warranty assuming nothing engine-related goes wrong in that time. The most common failure is the HPFP, which probably wont cost much more than that installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

If you want to mod with 100% chance of having zero problems, wait for the BMW tune. Sure, it will be expensive in typical BMW fashion. Your warranty wont be voided though.
      03-30-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
CeeJay
Private
Rep
Drives:

Gravity Autosports have a group buy on the BT Enthusiast scanner tool at the moment.
Delivered price is looking like coming in around AUD $380 for anyone on here with a tune.
Check in the commercial forums,I think it ends the 4th April.
(Sorry for the thread jack)
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
hey Stewart nice pic, im in it too... hahahha
Yeah, it was a fun day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
To get one of those BT scanners to Australia would cost around AU$600 delivered.
$324.28 USD delivered to Sydney. Keep in mind it's not just so you can clear codes to keep warranty. It allows you to troubleshoot issues with the car so you can go to service knowing what needs to be done, or do the work yourself.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

anyone in melb have a BT scanner?
Appreciate 0