BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #45
luster
Major
Rep
Drives: e90, e88

You can always talk your way out of it at roadside, if you can't - then you will get defected.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #46
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Sorry 1M/M3 brakes will not fit the 1 series or the 3 series other than the M cars
they will not fit up, been there done that
why is that? different hubs? different brake line lengths?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey flinchy,

I have put together a Nashin kit for you, that is both 18" and 17" wheel friendly.

The front rotor is 345 x 28 mm and the caliper is a N3 (4 pot).

The rear rotor is 330 x 24 and the caliper is a N1-R (2 pot).

All the rotors are 1-piece fixed and the calipers are N-Series Monoblock.

Both front and rear calipers are supplied with "Street" series pads preinstalled.

The brake kit includes all the necessary high strength mounting brackets and fasteners for both front and rear rotors, as well as teflon lined brake lines, that are sleeved with a double layer of stainless steel.

I can supply the entire kit as above for $2,145 inclusive of GST.

I can't accurately comment on the suggestion that an aftermarket brake kit would defeat the dynamic stability control systems of the vehicle, as I am not across that but I will do some reading on the matter.

However when Clinton says, "I wouldn't trust my family in the hands of an unknown manufacturer, especially from china" he is way off the mark.

Nashin is made in Taiwan not China, if you talk to people in the know they will tell you that Taiwan is the new Japan of aftermarket performance parts, with regards build quality and workmanship.

The Nashin brake components are extremely well engineered and Nashin themselves have been around for quite some time now, their high-end premium BBK's are every bit as good as the likes of Brembo.

Peter has been using Nashin braking systems on purpose built, high horsepower Skyline GTR race cars for many years with excellent results. They have proven to outlast and outperform many big name brands around the race track, whilst being far more cost effective.

FYI,

the BMW OE 135i caliper made by Brembo is not all it's cracked up to be, no pun intended.

Whilst given your application it's unlikely to happen, the piston seals have been known to leak and the pistons themselves have been shown to crack and disintegrate under extreme track conditions, when running aftermarket pads.

Anyway here are a few pics of the components of the kit I have quoted up for you, just so you know the rotor shown is the rear unit, Irene did not have a pic handy of the front 345 mm unit.

Cheers,

JD.
cheers! so that's working out a little better than the BMWP kit, with nice shiney colours... and braided brake lines to boot! i've never read anything on the bmwp calipers breaking, just the rotors cracking sooner than they should, but i'll take your word for it still

how about weight over OEM/BMWP, fairly similar?

compatible pads/rotors, only nashin ones, for future replacement, i mean?

out of curiosity, how much would a 6/4 pot setup be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post

There is a service we offer for our Japanese modded car owners, we have an engineer that will do a report and safety certificate for the mods but it does cost. you would be looking at around $1,500 for a fully modded car. this would offer peace of mind but at a price.
as a rough guide, from friends that have had engineering done, they say expect $50-$100 per mod depending on what it is, as a rough guide... pretty steep, but worth it here in QLD at least usually.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #47
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post

cheers! so that's working out a little better than the BMWP kit, with nice shiney colours... and braided brake lines to boot! i've never read anything on the bmwp calipers breaking, just the rotors cracking sooner than they should, but i'll take your word for it still

as a rough guide, from friends that have had engineering done, they say expect $50-$100 per mod depending on what it is, as a rough guide... pretty steep, but worth it here in QLD at least usually.
The M brakes have a different mount, it would be like trying to fit a Toyota caliper on your hub it is just night and day.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:03 AM   #48
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat
Quote:

The M brakes have a different mount, it would be like trying to fit a Toyota caliper on your hub it is just night and day.
Ah, i'm guessing that bmw does it to 100% ensure that non m-cars can't easily use m-car brakes? Silly since it forces owners that want upgrades larger than just a bmwp kit to go 3rd party
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #49
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat
Quote:

Ah, i'm guessing that bmw does it to 100% ensure that non m-cars can't easily use m-car brakes? Silly since it forces owners that want upgrades larger than just a bmwp kit to go 3rd party
Don't forget 99% of BMW owners are buying a badge
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #50
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335
Don't forget 99% of BMW owners are buying a badge
*points at all base model 4cyl non-optioned 1/3 series*

seriously, who drives a stock 116/118 (or even a 3er) with no sunroof, non xenon headlights, no sport kit, just nothing that even makes it look good or handle good or.. Ugh! -_-.. They're not even that cheap!

I saw an e87 one the other day, my car looked like a pretty rainbow next to it :/

Or even the model-like ladies i see in a 135 that drive it like it never sees 3001 rpm
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #51
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:

Hey flinchy,

I cannot comment on the comparative weight of the BMW OE braking system versus the Nashin, do you know the weight of the OE hardware?

When the time comes you will be replacing Nashin components with Nashin.

However the Nashin spare parts range is very extensive, it pretty much covers the entire kit and is readily available whist being cost effective.

I can price up a "6/4 pot setup", but to do it properly the front rotor would be 355 mm and mated to a N5 6 piston caliper, which means it will not work with a 17" wheel.

Are you flexible on your wheel size?

If you are prepared to run 18" wheels I will quote you up a second kit.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #52
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance

Hey flinchy,

I cannot comment on the comparative weight of the BMW OE braking system versus the Nashin, do you know the weight of the OE hardware?

When the time comes you will be replacing Nashin components with Nashin.

However the Nashin spare parts range is very extensive, it pretty much covers the entire kit and is readily available whist being cost effective.

I can price up a "6/4 pot setup", but to do it properly the front rotor would be 355 mm and mated to a N5 6 piston caliper, which means it will not work with a 17" wheel.

Are you flexible on your wheel size?

If you are prepared to run 18" wheels I will quote you up a second kit.

Cheers,

JD.
I already have 18's, vmr v701's, so yes definitely prepared to keep running them/get new 18's when it comes time to upgrade

Not sure on the weight, will try do a bit of research and see ifi can find.. More of a curiousity anyway lol

Another question though.. Dustiness of the nashin pads? Super sick of the dusty stock pads.

And how do they compare perfoance wise to something like.. Iono, a ferodo, or another highly recommended performance pad?

Thanks heaps!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #53
pavo335
Banned
Rep

I am surprised at the number of posts about dusty pads, wash your car folks simple! Plus imho its all about stopping, full stop.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #54
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I am surprised at the number of posts about dusty pads, wash your car folks simple! Plus imho its all about stopping, full stop.
It takes me an hour to scrub my wheels alone, doesn't matter if it's a week, 2wk, or a month.. Gah i hate cleaning my wheels!! I don't even have that many spokes lol.. And its even longer if theres some dried on tar. Ugh.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #55
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
It takes me an hour to scrub my wheels alone, doesn't matter if it's a week, 2wk, or a month.. Gah i hate cleaning my wheels!! I don't even have that many spokes lol
An HOUR

fark dude i've got VB3's and wash the car weekly (weather permitting) and i would say 10 minutes tops, all clean and shiny
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #56
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It takes me an hour to scrub my wheels alone, doesn't matter if it's a week, 2wk, or a month.. Gah i hate cleaning my wheels!! I don't even have that many spokes lol
An HOUR

fark dude i've got VB3's and wash the car weekly (weather permitting) and i would say 10 minutes tops, all clean and shiny
Yeah, spray with pressure washer, then wheel cleaner, sit, then wire brushes for nuts, scrub with cloth, pressure spray again then maybe eve
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #57
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
An HOUR

Yeah, spray with pressure washer, then wheel cleaner, sit, then wire brushes for nuts, scrub with cloth, pressure spray again then maybe even another spray of wheel cleaner if it still has the oily film

Maybe it's the silver+bsm combo but it shows browny grey super badly
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #58
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, spray with pressure washer, then wheel cleaner, sit, then wire brushes for nuts, scrub with cloth, pressure spray again then maybe even another spray of wheel cleaner if it still has the oily film

just a suggestion but why not just use a sponge and give it a rub

I wash car with new sponge and then use old sponge on wheels and exhaust. With exception to post track day (and possible road works) works a treat
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #59
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

just a suggestion but why not just use a sponge and give it a rub

I wash car with new sponge and then use old sponge on wheels and exhaust. With exception to post track day (and possible road works) works a treat
Ya i do, it's half baked on half super oily, a sponge alone moves it around at best .. Unless it's the last little bit..

At the moment it's been 2 weeks (busy weekends) inc a hard mountain run a drive out to dalby + plenty of city driving.. Theyre not even brown or grey, it's just a thick oily black lol
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 11:10 PM   #60
luster
Major
Rep

use sonax on your wheels mate, saves a few steps.

SONAX
wipe with wet sponge
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #61
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
It takes me an hour to scrub my wheels alone, doesn't matter if it's a week, 2wk, or a month.. Gah i hate cleaning my wheels!! I don't even have that many spokes lol.. And its even longer if theres some dried on tar. Ugh.
Get a Daytona Wheel brush... take you 10 mins
Sweet will get one ^_^

Still wont be down to 10mins, im pretty anal about it lol

I'll at least use up the rest of my autoglym stuff before swapping product though
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #62
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
So next service is basically new brake time.. So some nice new discs and less dusty pads

So i figure i'd just get better discs and pads and keep everything else stock as is good enough, sensible.

But the cost to replace all 4 still gets fairly high, like probably 1000-1200 at an estimate... When a bmwp kit is 1800-1900 from what ive found, maybe even cheaper?

So, are there any (non price related) disadvantages to the bmwp kit? Limited disc/pad selection not so great maybe? The calipers are uprated with it too, yes?

Thanks

Ed i also have a question about which spark plugs to buy, but.. Would be different for 135's and there doesnt seem to be many n52 owners on here :/.. Denso's are good though normally yea?
Hey flinchy,

Have you decided which brake upgrade you are going with?

Thought you might want to know.... I have just ordered a front axle BMWP brake kit from Germany. I finally did it, no more procrastinating. haha.

Ken
      06-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #63
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmli5

Hey flinchy,

Have you decided which brake upgrade you are going with?

Thought you might want to know.... I have just ordered a front axle BMWP brake kit from Germany. I finally did it, no more procrastinating. haha.

Ken
Hey, at this stage more than likely the nashin.

Out of curiousity how much was it shipped?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:36 AM   #64
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

It was just over A$1600 shipped.
I was looking to buy from bmminiparts, but their shipping cost was outrageous.

I actually was thinking to get the nashin, as they appear to be really good for track use and price is very attractive. However, I don't track my car really and I wanted to keep my brakes street legal and stuff.
      06-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #65
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmli5
Quote:

It was just over A$1600 shipped.
I was looking to buy from bmminiparts, but their shipping cost was outrageous.

I actually was thinking to get the nashin, as they appear to be really good for track use and price is very attractive. However, I don't track my car really and I wanted to keep my brakes street legal and stuff.
Nashin's should still be street legal though?

Ouch 1600 >_<.. What's shipping like from bmmini, i never bothered looking into it?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:58 AM   #66
luster
Major
Rep

Ouch @ $1600?

$1600 for Brembo's expensive? Are you nuts?
Appreciate 0