BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #177
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryFitz View Post
With PPK installation, the dealer places several PPK warning stickers on the engine and door panel, so techs will know if additional ECM upgrades are made at a later point. My understanding of COBB is that when you install it, it will re-write specific existing ECM codes, then revert to these codes if it is uninstalled. Thus, any PPK upgrades and subsequent BMW upgrades are retained.

At any rate the PPK upgrade provides noticable improvements, but won't actually transform the 135i into an M3. I also think it's a better mod for a Steptronic compated to a manual.
It's only my educated guess, based on how software works...
I think the Cobb (as well as Dinan an other such software) takes a snapshot of the software you currently have and stores that for later use. Then it replaces it with their software. Uninstall is simply copying the stored image back.

Their software was created on a base BMW software. They alter whatever parameters they see fit.
If BMW releases a new version of that software to fix something unrelated to engine, say an issue with the radio or the HPFF, Cobb would need to take that new version and port all the alterations over, and then upload that new software to your Cob device.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #178
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
It's only my educated guess, based on how software works...
I think the Cobb (as well as Dinan an other such software) takes a snapshot of the software you currently have and stores that for later use. Then it replaces it with their software. Uninstall is simply copying the stored image back.

Their software was created on a base BMW software. They alter whatever parameters they see fit.
If BMW releases a new version of that software to fix something unrelated to engine, say an issue with the radio or the HPFF, Cobb would need to take that new version and port all the alterations over, and then upload that new software to your Cob device.

No this is not correct. Dinan writes over the top so you would need a new flash fom them if you CPU was reflashed by the dealer. With Cobb you have a handheld device that will store the BMW tune and then you can replace the cars maps with one of cobbs and you can switch between maps whenever you want so there would be no issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #179
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
No this is not correct. Dinan writes over the top so you would need a new flash fom them if you CPU was reflashed by the dealer. With Cobb you have a handheld device that will store the BMW tune and then you can replace the cars maps with one of cobbs and you can switch between maps whenever you want so there would be no issues.
Well, maybe Dinan doesn't save the current BMW software, but Cobb (and others) does.
I was addressing his statement that "any PPK upgrades and subsequent BMW upgrades are retained."
It's retained as a copy in the Cobb hand held device, true. But it's not available if you're running the Cobb software.
As I mentioned, if a subsequent BMW revision fixes an issue with the radio, you won't get the fix if you install the Cobb software, and you'll have to wait (and hope it happens) for Cobb to port their changes over the that BMW revised software. That point is true with Dinan as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #180
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I think but am not sure that you would still be fine in that case with Cobb. Cobb is only going to adjust tables to make power and keep it safe. As such and change to other components of the CPU would remain as given by BMW and you new stock maps would be updated on the device when you change tunes such again you are not missing anything. The only downside of the coob ap is that if a dealer knows about it they might not cover warranty repairs for something they think it could have caused the failure of. You will not miss out on anything though.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #181
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovef View Post
I think but am not sure that you would still be fine in that case with Cobb. Cobb is only going to adjust tables to make power and keep it safe. As such and change to other components of the CPU would remain as given by BMW and you new stock maps would be updated on the device when you change tunes such again you are not missing anything. The only downside of the coob ap is that if a dealer knows about it they might not cover warranty repairs for something they think it could have caused the failure of. You will not miss out on anything though.
I see what you're saying now, and I disagree.
In my opinion (yes, I have no evidence, just from my experience with software development) Cobb software replaces the BMW software entirely.
ECU software isn't like your computer, where you can just replace a few (table) files, leaving the main .exe alone. Even if Cobb only changes tables, it's all compiled in one unit. They replace the BMW software entirely with their own version.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #182
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Like many of you I also had this flash done. I only have positive opinions of the results. My question is has anyone with a boost gage noticed a lb or 2 of boost or has all this been done with timing, fuel trim ect? Would like to know wheither to put my JB+ back on and at what setting. My SA doesnt have a clue.
Appreciate 0