BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
thinkbig
Private
Rep
Drives: None

Change oil?

Just bought a 128i 4 months ago...

After 5k of use, should I change the oil?

I've read on these boards that you need to change it after around 2k.. when the car is new in order to make a proper burn in (or something called similarly)

Today, I go and ask my dealership and they tell me that there is no need..

Should I worry?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #2
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

If you plan on keeping the car for a while (financed/bought), it honestly can't hurt and can only be a good thing to just go ahead and change the oil yourself. 1200mi is still the recommendation on the M-cars for the first break-in oil change. If it's a lease, don't bother.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
thinkbig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
If you plan on keeping the car for a while (financed/bought), it honestly can't hurt and can only be a good thing to just go ahead and change the oil yourself. 1200mi is still the recommendation on the M-cars for the first break-in oil change. If it's a lease, don't bother.
Yea I plan on keeping it.. will it really make a difference to make the break-in oil change?

I think first oil change is scheduled to 15k kilometers.

Do it myself? Is it that easy?

* OH and btw, how do you keep your coral leather seats clean? I'm looking for a cleaner that will not change the color nor shine the leather..

Last edited by thinkbig; 11-26-2010 at 05:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
soupy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkbig View Post
Yea I plan on keeping it.. will it really make a difference to make the break-in oil change?

I think first oil change is scheduled to 15k kilometers.

Do it myself? Is it that easy?

* OH and btw, how do you keep your coral leather seats clean? I'm looking for a cleaner that will not change the color nor shine the leather..
The break-in oil change topic has been exhaustively covered on the forum. Take a peak in the Maintenance sub-forum and just run a quick search. You won't really know whether it's worth it unless you run regular oil analysis tests at a lab such as Blackstone. The peace of mind however is probably worth the price admission imo.

There's a very good DIY guide on our DIY section on how to do an oil change, complete with a youtube video. If you've ever done an oil change by yourself on any other car, doing it on the 1er will be even easier. The only catch is that we got unique jackpoints that need a jack adapter or just use ramps.

Take a look at our detailing sponsors such as DetailersDomain and DetailedImage for their products. If you'd like something off-the-shelf, I like Lexol and find it works just fine on our leather.

Alpine White, Coral Red Leather, Sport Package, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
thinkbig
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupy View Post
The break-in oil change topic has been exhaustively covered on the forum. Take a peak in the Maintenance sub-forum and just run a quick search. You won't really know whether it's worth it unless you run regular oil analysis tests at a lab such as Blackstone. The peace of mind however is probably worth the price admission imo.

There's a very good DIY guide on our DIY section on how to do an oil change, complete with a youtube video. If you've ever done an oil change by yourself on any other car, doing it on the 1er will be even easier. The only catch is that we got unique jackpoints that need a jack adapter or just use ramps.

Take a look at our detailing sponsors such as DetailersDomain and DetailedImage for their products. If you'd like something off-the-shelf, I like Lexol and find it works just fine on our leather.
Great thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0