BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #1
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Mod/upgrade/tuner Glossary?

Hey gang,

New here... Maybe I missed it.

Is there a "glossary of terms" here somewhere? I've seen references to mods, etc. by acronym, but don't know what they are/mean.

I don't know if/when someone is talking about an exhaust swap, a tune, or what.

Thanks!

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
Hey gang,

Is there a "glossary of terms" here somewhere? I've seen references to mods, etc. by acronym, but don't know what they are/mean.

Thanks!
Sadly, don't think there is one and it's a lil overwhelming at first. Might as well just compile and ask a ton of them or keep posting, asking here and most people will be glad to help. Once in awhile some may mock you, but such is life and the internet. I'll help of course, but only cause your new car is mineral grey. Ha!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Hey gang,

Thanks!
You can always go back to the beginning to catch up!
      08-04-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Heh heh -- thanks!

Love your license plate.

OK, here's the first one: PPK

2013 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #5
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Heh heh -- thanks!

Love your license plate.

OK, here's the first one: PPK
Ones you'll see a lot are:

PPK (Performance Power Kit) - BMW's software flash that will up you 20 horsies and 17 ft-lb of torque. You'll also see PPK2 sometimes as there's a more expensive version that also includes some additional cooling hardware in addition to the software tune/flash.

PE - BMW's performance exhaust which many people will rave about and makes a lovely lovely intoxicating sound.

PS - BMW's performance suspension, though you won't see that one too much except from mineral grey-ites such as me and RickMSport and EvenEsteban

PSS - short-hand for michelin pilot super sports.

That should give you a head start. I still prefer my old plate from my 2008 135:

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #6
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
PS - BMW's performance suspension, though you won't see that one too much except from mineral grey-ites such as me and RickMSport and EvenEsteban
Hey, watch it! I'm no mineral grey!
      08-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #7
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Hey, watch it! I'm no mineral grey!
Ha, I could be a jerk and go edit my post and add a comma in there since I wrote it too quickly.

Mineral grey-ites such as me and Rick, and EvenEsteban, too.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ha, I could be a jerk and go edit my post and add a comma in there since I wrote it too quickly.

Mineral grey-ites such as me and Rick, and EvenEsteban, too.
Don't change for me.
      08-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #9
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OK, so I'm starting to get the picture: the car is great from the factory, but that doesn't stop people from modding it anyway! Very much like the Mazda MX-5 crowd I came from.

My first "mods" will be a clear bra, and tinted windows. Maybe some seat covers (have Oyster Boston Leather). I honestly can't think of a single thing it needs after that...

2013 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
OK, so I'm starting to get the picture: the car is great from the factory, but that doesn't stop people from modding it anyway! Very much like the Mazda MX-5 crowd I came from.

My first "mods" will be a clear bra, and tinted windows. Maybe some seat covers (have Oyster Boston Leather). I honestly can't think of a single thing it needs after that...
Its just that you can add so much HP for so little money.
And once you drive a tuned car, the once fun "great from the factory" stock car feels boring and slow

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OK, looked up the PPK -- 20 more HP/torque for about $800-$900. Not bad, actually. But since I'll rarely (if ever) use the 300 I have, I think I'm good for now.

I did get a quote for the clear bra: $550 (bumper, front of hood, front of side fenders, side mirrors). $75 for the lights (thicker material there of course). Definitely doing all of that.

Window tint quote (sides and back, charcoal) any % was $200. Still on the fence about that. I like the factory look, but I know I do need to do something about the heat and UV down here in FL!

2013 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #12
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
OK, looked up the PPK -- 20 more HP/torque for about $800-$900. Not bad, actually. But since I'll rarely (if ever) use the 300 I have, I think I'm good for now.

I did get a quote for the clear bra: $550 (bumper, front of hood, front of side fenders, side mirrors). $75 for the lights (thicker material there of course). Definitely doing all of that.

Window tint quote (sides and back, charcoal) any % was $200. Still on the fence about that. I like the factory look, but I know I do need to do something about the heat and UV down here in FL!
You might be able to find the PPK for less than that. I think justinmj or I forget the last two letters in his new 135i convertible post the other day got it online for like $700.

I wish more women would wear clear bras.

And if you want to see what your car will look like with a nice tint, you should check out pics of my car or maybe RickMSport's since he has mineral grey on oyster as opposed to my black interior, so the tint won't look quite as dark with the lighter interior. He has 30% but looks a bit lighter than my similar 30%.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep

One thing I really love about this 2013 135i with M-Sport package: no need to do any suspension mods! That's something that most MX-5 owners (NC model - 2006-present) feel was mandatory. I thought it was fine as-is (MUCH better than most cars out there), other than the wheel gap (which I "fixed" with slightly larger tires).

Does the M-Sport package change any of the suspension bits/tuning, or is it just the "Sport" button (standard in all 135i models, right)? that changes things?

2013 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You might be able to find the PPK for less than that. I think justinmj or I forget the last two letters in his new 135i convertible post the other day got it online for like $700.

I wish more women would wear clear bras.

And if you want to see what your car will look like with a nice tint, you should check out pics of my car or maybe RickMSport's since he has mineral grey on oyster as opposed to my black interior, so the tint won't look quite as dark with the lighter interior. He has 30% but looks a bit lighter than my similar 30%.
Greg - thanks. Link to your pics?

I had the clear bra stuff on my MX-5, and it kept it looking great the whole time I had it. No-brainer, IMO.

Also, how do I post pics here? Guess I have to upload my photos to some photo hosting site first? Or can I upload them here to my "gallery" like some other boards?

Thanks!

2013 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Greg - thanks. Link to your pics?

I had the clear bra stuff on my MX-5, and it kept it looking great the whole time I had it. No-brainer, IMO.

Also, how do I post pics here? Guess I have to upload my photos to some photo hosting site first? Or can I upload them here to my "gallery" like some other boards?

Thanks!
I have so many, mostly in the 135is owners thread, though I have my initial pics in a thread called something like Toreador Delivered my 135is something or other. Hang on, let me get a few links to recent pics as I did a photo shoot a few weeks ago:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...postcount=3532

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...postcount=3628

And here are some after I had the car for a week in May '13 right after the tint:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839644

You can post pics when you go to post either by linking them via the lil yellow landscape picture box if you have them hosted online, or hit the paperclip attachment thing and you can upload the pic directly.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #16
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
One thing I really love about this 2013 135i with M-Sport package: no need to do any suspension mods! That's something that most MX-5 owners (NC model - 2006-present) feel was mandatory. I thought it was fine as-is (MUCH better than most cars out there), other than the wheel gap (which I "fixed" with slightly larger tires).

Does the M-Sport package change any of the suspension bits/tuning, or is it just the "Sport" button (standard in all 135i models, right)? that changes things?
Well, you may not want to read about my performance suspension install then from a few weeks ago. All the cool mineral grey kids are doing it now.

I don't think it's necessary on our cars and wasn't expecting a HUGE difference, but after putting bmw's performance suspension on there, I can tell you it's a night and day difference the way the entire car feels, handles, and drives. I perhaps didn't realize how bad the stock suspension was til I upgraded. Or perhaps the upgraded suspension is just that good.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:22 PM   #17
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks again, Greg! Damn, Mineral Gray owners sure are friendly!

I'll will upload some pics to my "intro" thread as soon as I take some decent ones - promise!

OK, so here's my next batch of "what the heck does this mean?" (saw on another thread) - anyone?:

1) JB4 tune G5 ISO with USB in ashtray for JB4 App
2) BMS intake

2013 135i M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again, Greg! Damn, Mineral Gray owners sure are friendly!

I'll will upload some pics to my "intro" thread as soon as I take some decent ones - promise!

OK, so here's my next batch of "what the heck does this mean?" (saw on another thread) - anyone?:

1) JB4 tune G5 ISO with USB in ashtray for JB4 App
2) BMS intake
So few of us mineral grey owners. If your car was blue I probably wouldn't help you at all. Ha!

I don't know too much about the JB4 other than it's probably the cheapest way for you to tune your car and guess they have a USB way of linking it to your phone via an app I guess. Others can chime in on that.

The BMS intake is Burger Motorsports who makes some parts for our car, including the JB4 I think. Many people run this dual cone intake thingy:

http://www.burgertuning.com/dcintake.html
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #19
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If your car was blue I probably wouldn't help you at all. Ha!
Now my feelings are hurt!