BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #1
RX-BMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i sport package 6AT

Creaking

Creaking noise between glove compartment and the black gloss trim. Can simulate the noise by pushing on the spot that creaks. Going over bumpy terrain the noise is annoying. Is there anyway to put some padding or anything between the trim and glove compartment? Should I just ignore it and turn my music up?

Thanks
      08-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
whitebimmer09
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i Auto

I just hit the search button and typed in "dash" and found this quickly
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...highlight=Dash
I was going to do this but never did. Didn't care too much about it,but since driving a new BMW, I may change my mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
NYHoustonman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Dinan S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-BMW View Post
Creaking noise between glove compartment and the black gloss trim. Can simulate the noise by pushing on the spot that creaks. Going over bumpy terrain the noise is annoying. Is there anyway to put some padding or anything between the trim and glove compartment? Should I just ignore it and turn my music up?

Thanks
Is the noise coming from the trim itself, which is easy to remove, or from below (i.e. where upper dash meets lower dash/glovebox)?

If the former, you might check that all four (I think?) clips are holding the trim down firmly. These can be tricky. Lubricating spray can help if the noise is coming from the interface between upper dash and trim (which can rub if the trim is loose),and you might be able to use felt or foam tape, as you've mentioned, as a buffer.

If the latter, I've had decent luck using a combination of lubricating spray and some 'spacing' (managed to wedge felt tape in a few key areas), without having to remove the lower dash pieces.

Every noise is likely fixable but it's a matter of how often it occurs vs. how difficult the fix will be. I've spent a lot of time trying to diagnose the more annoying noises in my car's interior (A-pillar, passenger airbag, center dash/trim), and to be honest I wish I could just go back and ignore everything! As these cars age, a few creaks and maybe even rattles are inevitable, sadly.
Appreciate 0