BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
solved! drivers mirror not staying in place

I've noticed that after the following -
  1. park car
  2. transmission in neutral
  3. apply handbrake
  4. turn engine off by hitting stop button
  5. remove fob
when I push the fob in to release it the drivers mirror resets its position away from the one I stored it in. I can get it back to where it should be by hitting the memory setting I've saved it to, but I figure I shouldn't have to do this.

It doesn't move far, but far enough to move it from my ideal viewing position.

This shouldn't be confused with the auto-tilt on the curb side mirror.

Anyone else had this happen and know if I can prevent it from moving everytime I want to remove the fob?

Clearly I don't use CA.

TIA,
Matt.

Last edited by MikeVictor; 08-10-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
BMW-NC
Selling drugs to BMW addicts
Germany
Rep
Drives: 135i e82 6MT N55

Well while I have no explanation whatsoever, I am curious why it is bugging you? Do you spend time sitting in your car watching people in your driver side rear view mirror? Dio you stake out places? Lol, J/K. Or is it that the mirror is not coming back to your saved position as you start up the car?

Ray
      03-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #3
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Try going into setup menu. Goto the menu where you can adjust locks.
Some where in that menu there are options for seats. Some thing about remembering seating position when another person adjust seats or returning to original position when car is turned off.
The mirrors are linked with the seats memory. So try that if it works.
Sorry for the vague response, Ive got bad memory.
BTW this is for idrive. I dont know about using the stalks for the setup menu.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
Breville
Scum in the sun
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe TiAg

Garage List
2008 135i Coupe  [0.00]
Doesn't happen to me

One should love animals. They are so tasty.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-NC View Post
Well while I have no explanation whatsoever, I am curious why it is bugging you? Do you spend time sitting in your car watching people in your driver side rear view mirror? Dio you stake out places? Lol, J/K. Or is it that the mirror is not coming back to your saved position as you start up the car?

Ray
In order-

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Update - just went down to BBMW and the service manager, Thomas (top guy btw, he's great to deal with) says he thinks it might be the mirror returning to a "neutral" state before adjusting to the my memory setting when I get in the car.

Also bought a nice ///M jacket using my gift voucher I'd been hanging on to these past few months and have asked for prices and availability on the Performance Kit and exhaust. Will let you guys know what I find out.

Last edited by MikeVictor; 03-26-2009 at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
kingtut1970
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Titan Silver

Wow someone else with the same issues i reported a lil while back (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232525)

I can tell you now that BMW have identified this as a real problem and it got progressively worse over time where my mirror faces up so you looking at the sky sorta anyway i got my car booked in this week as i am having the cracked boot lid brake light cover replaced and BMW have asked my dealer they try these isolation tests to rectify the mirror issues as there was no fault/error code coming up before they sent a diag report to germany. I keep you posted on the results.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #7
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
My mirror's still changing on me, so my educated and scientific guess is that it's possessed.

I've booked it in for another exorcism at BBMW on Monday week, and I'm going to leave it with them until it can get fixed. I'm over having to adjust it every time I get in the car, it's the one thing spoiling what would otherwise be a perfect experience when I get in to go for a drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #8
x5mad
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: iX 40

Garage List
bmw  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
I've noticed that after the following -
  1. park car
  2. transmission in neutral
  3. apply handbrake
  4. turn engine off by hitting stop button
  5. remove fob
when I push the fob in to release it the drivers mirror resets its position away from the one I stored it in. I can get it back to where it should be by hitting the memory setting I've saved it to, but I figure I shouldn't have to do this.

It doesn't move far, but far enough to move it from my ideal viewing position.

This shouldn't be confused with the auto-tilt on the curb side mirror.

Anyone else had this happen and know if I can prevent it from moving everytime I want to remove the fob?

Clearly I don't use CA.

TIA,
Matt.
How strange, funny you should post this as just this week:

My drivers side mirror would tilt all the way down whenever I take the key out. It will not return to its normal position.

I will do a BT scan to see if any codes are thrown. If not will wait a while before taking it in. I seem to be spending too much time at BMW, the last time they gave me an M3 convertible to play with for a few days. Very nearly bought it but I think the missus would have been very upset as I only just bought the 135. Oh well, maybe next year.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 05:33 PM   #9
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
All fixed! BBMW did their usual great job of looking after me and have fixed my problem.

Turns out a loose wire connection was the culprit. Anyone else experiencing this may want to get it checked out. apparently you have to get in behind the inside drivers door to get at the wires.
Appreciate 0