E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Comparison of the 2.0d to my 325i (long)

04-16-2006, 06:56 AM   #1
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Comparison of the 2.0d to my 325i (long)

Last week my parents went on holiday and left their 120d Sport on the driveway. After all the reports here debating the 325i vs the 320d I thought it would be a good time to spend a week using the diesel engine to compare the two engines...

The 120d Sport is a Steptronic, whereas my 325i SE (standard suspension) is a manual.

Noise:
No contest here. The diesel engine sounds like a truck at idle in comparison to the 325i. You are left in no doubt that it's a diesel. As the revs rise it gets a little better, but it's not a straight-six by any means. The noise is something you try to ignore rather than enjoy.

Driving:
This is where I was surprised. The diesel has so much torque off the line! Around town it actually feels faster than my 325 - I was astonished. The auto gearbox is the perfect compliment to the diesel engine - my last two cars were auto's (a 316i and a 318i) and I quickly found out that lots of low-down torque is what you need to get off the line quickly in an auto. The diesel delivers. There's a very steep hill at the end of my road that you turn on to from a standstill and it has a 60mph limit. I think it's fair to say that the diesel destroys that road. It powers up there like a thing posessed. Absolutely unreal. I can't hit the same peak speed at the top of the hill in the 325i.
Get the 325 into the country and extend the revs and the roles are reversed, but in town I was genuinely shocked at the difference. I had to try the 50-70mph acceleration on the motorway as that's where diesel owners say the car whups a 325 - it does if you neuter the 325 by leaving it in 4th gear. However, drop to 2nd like I would do and the roles are reversed.

Fuel economy:
Not as impressive as I thought it would be. I reset the average MPG on the on-board computer of the diesel at the start of the week, and by the end of the week it read 25.4mpg. The same driving in my 325i gets 21.5mpg. Granted, the diesel I was driving was an auto but I was expecting a bigger difference. I guess if you spend most of your time at 0mph in a town as gridlocked as mine it doesn't matter what your driving you're going to get bad mpg. I'll remember that when I try justifying getting an M5 in a few years time...

Handling:
Nothing to do with the diesel debate really, but a good time to see the difference between sport suspension and standard suspension, even if they were fitted to different models. The 120d Sport has 16" wheels, whereas my 325i has 17" wheels. This surprised me as well - they were pretty much identical in handling, comfort and ride. Couldn't separate them. Maybe I wasn't trying hard enough, or maybe thicker tyre sidewalls are all it takes to make sports suspension as supple as standard suspension.

Overall:
Not as clear cut as I thought it would be! On my experience, the increased fuel economy of the diesel wouldn't win me over. 4mpg isn't going to be enough to do that. I could never understand why 320d owners said that in the real world their car felt faster, but now I do. I love the surge of torque when you squeeze the throttle and the turbo kicks in. That is addictive.
So is the screaming banshee wail emitted by the 325i's engine, though. As someone who's only ever owned 4 cylinder BMWs, the six cylinder's noise is a revelation. And when you use all the revs, the 325i is clearly the faster car in most conditions.

You know what? If the diesel sounded anywhere near the 325 I would seriously consider it. I think a 335d auto could be worth a try when it comes out if the six cylinder diesel sounds better than the four. If you are a sporty driver most of the time, the 325 is the winner. But if you want the more relaxing drive, where a mere flex of the right foot surges you forward on a wave of torque no matter what the gear without any drama, the diesel is the best bet.

And that surprises me.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Nice review Jay.

What about bringing them both to Donington next Saturday for the meet??!
Are you still on for it?

Viv

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 07:06 AM   #3
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sports

Nice write up of your little group test there. Good to see a balanced view by someone who has direct experience of both petrol and diesel.

FD
      04-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

The 2 to really test against each other woud be the 335i and 335d

Both being turbo engines
      04-16-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk
Nice review Jay.

What about bringing them both to Donington next Saturday for the meet??!
Are you still on for it?

Viv
I'll be there mate! Dad was due to come with me so he could have brought the 120d for some comparison tests, but he's just started a new job so it'll just the the 325 coming up!

-Jay
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 07:14 AM   #6
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
The 2 to really test against each other woud be the 335i and 335d

Both being turbo engines
I think you're right there Fleet - having never experienced a turbocharger before, I quite enjoyed the feeling of boost!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 07:16 AM   #7
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle
I'll be there mate! Dad was due to come with me so he could have brought the 120d for some comparison tests, but he's just started a new job so it'll just the the 325 coming up!

-Jay
Nice one!
At this rate, we'll have to provide a free box of Kleenex with every American's viewing of our meet shots- there's going to be THAT many clear indicators there to make them cry!
(Sorry Mark & Jason- but you know I'm right!!!)
Attached Images

Last edited by vivekk; 04-16-2006 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 07:19 AM   #8
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Nice one!
At this rate, we'll have to provide a free box of Kleenex with every American's viewing of our meet shots- there's going to be THAT many clear indicators there to make them cry!
(Sorry Mark & Jason- but you know I'm right!!!)
Box of Kleenex for when they see our clear indicators? I am glad you mentioned that they will need them because they will be crying!
      04-16-2006, 07:25 AM   #9
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
I'm sure I made some resolution about NOT hi-jacking other members threads to advertise...
...the First UK meet at Donington Park, on April 22nd at 12pm

...sod it, can't remember exactly why I meant to do that anyway...

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
jhbodle
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sure I made some resolution about NOT hi-jacking other members threads to advertise...
...the First UK meet at Donington Park, on April 22nd at 12pm

...sod it, can't remember exactly why I meant to do that anyway...
Lol, well we can always do some comparison tests on the day! I'll have my HD camcorder with me too...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #11
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The clear indicators are the least of it. The M-packs, diesels, etc. are what will really have us bawling...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 09:52 AM   #12
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc
The clear indicators are the least of it. The M-packs, diesels, etc. are what will really have us bawling...
Well we will do our best then. Keep your eyes peeled.
      04-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #13
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle
Lol, well we can always do some comparison tests on the day! I'll have my HD camcorder with me too...
Excellent Jay!
A friend of mine should be bringing a broadcast-quality video cam from work also.
We don't want to start a petrol v diesel battle at the meet before it has even begun, do we??!!!

Quote:
stressdoc, I think the entire UK combo package of clear indicators, M Sport pack, alloys & diesels will be enough to make you boys cry like babies!

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #14
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

Quote:
...I think the entire UK combo package of clear indicators, M Sport pack, alloys & diesels will be enough to make you boys cry like babies!...
Oh yeah I forgot the alloys. I will be bringing my 193's so more tears to be expected.

Oh, and I just went out and got a mate to record the sound of my BMW 'tractor' driving past. Who said diesels dont sound good?

Only kidding, it is actually the 1953 BRM 1.5 litre Supercharged V16 formula one car. What a sound though.
      04-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingdwarf
Oh yeah I forgot the alloys. I will be bringing my 193's so more tears to be expected.

Oh, and I just went out and got a mate to record the sound of my BMW 'tractor' driving past. Who said diesels dont sound good?

Only kidding, it is actually the 1953 BRM 1.5 litre Supercharged V16 formula one car. What a sound though.
Oh Criag- you could have started a whole argument about diesel engines sounding better than petrol!

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #16
Flyingdwarf
First Officer
England
Rep

I was thinking about it, but I didnt think too many would fall for it, besides there is a little hint in the address. Maybe when you do the video you can sneakily add these sound to it everytime one of the diesels goes bye!? Actually, I am starting to feel guilty as this is very . Got something else to say about the meet but will post it in the right place.
      04-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #17
quincy
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Oh Criag- you could have started a whole argument about diesel engines sounding better than petrol!
LOL.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
StevoSEA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i(SA) TiAg/Blk ZSP 6mt

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #19
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Sorry for being again Jay, but I just thought I'd say that the First UK meet now has more expected attendees than for any previous meet organised anywhere on the forum.

If things turn out ok, the First UK meet will have more cars, more colours, more alloys, more diesels, more petrols, more M Sport kits, more clear indicators & more people than any meet so far!

...but it hasn't happened yet, so I'd better keep my mouth shut for now....

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 12:20 PM   #20
JonMad
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320d SE;Mazda MX-5

Garage List
1990 Mazda MX-5  [0.00]
2005 BMW 320d  [0.00]
yeah, don't big it up too much (oh, too late) 320d manual available for comparisons next weekend to anyone over 25. Ah, the joys of company insurance
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #21
Ghunger
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

I was going to post some cause you have clear indicators, but after looking at the BMW UK site and seeing the prices you guys have to pay. I think I'll be ok with my amber corners.

330i Monaco Blue, Terra /w aluminum trim, SP, PP, CA, PDC, Nav, Folding Seats, Sat Prep
European Delivery Blog
Picture Gallery
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2006, 04:13 PM   #22
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Don't forget photos of the M-pack alcantara interiors...
Appreciate 0