BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-17-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
135i vs 1M Springs & Sway

I'm trying to decide what parts to carry over to a 1M if I so get one.

Will my HR springs and or sway work?

Sorry if this has been covered, I'm on my mobile.

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

H&R made specific springs for the 1M so I doubt yours would calibrate correctly. Not sure about the sways.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

The 1M is already stiffer than stock 135. Why don't you drive it before modding it? It's much better than 135i. The steering rack is faster and has better feedback. It has a real diff. It has aluminum suspension bits and hellacious brakes that. I doubt any of the suspension bits will carry over. The M is wider and especially the rear suspension. I almost bought 135 but not quite hard core enough until 1M. Finally I put mine up for sale but it is strictly for financial considerations not because I don't love the car! I do.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Since everyone bolts on 1M/M3 suspensions onto a 135i... I would think the reverse would work fine. They should fit, but will it work properly(tuned) is another question. ?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Since everyone bolts on 1M/M3 suspensions onto a 135i... I would think the reverse would work fine. They should fit, but will it work properly(tuned) is another question. ?
That's the logic I was using. Just trying to figure out what parts to swap over.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I would never put h&r springs alone on a 1m, as it will diminish handling on anything but the smoothest surfaces and greatly diminish ride quality

1m suspension either needs to remain stock or upgrade to kw v3 at the minimum. And even then lowering to the same levels as hr springs likely will result in sub optimal ride quality and handling

Jmo
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I would never put h&r springs alone on a 1m, as it will diminish handling on anything but the smoothest surfaces and greatly diminish ride quality

1m suspension either needs to remain stock or upgrade to kw v3 at the minimum. And even then lowering to the same levels as hr springs likely will result in sub optimal ride quality and handling

Jmo
I would but I really don't like coil overs. I'm constantly messing with them trying to make them "just right" lol
That is why I went with the cup kit on my 135i.

I read a lot of reviews for the H&R springs and figured I would ask.

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Quote:
I've had them on my car for over two years and disagree with your comment. While coilovers ultimately are the better choice, these springs have been great in improving the handling of my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
SpencerMH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, M6 GC, 718GT4, F355GTS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M
Quote:
I've had them on my car for over two years and disagree with your comment. While coilovers ultimately are the better choice, these springs have been great in improving the handling of my car.
I agree, if you have nice roads, h&r springs are great, and an improvement on track; if you have bad roads, a bad option and of course kw's or the likes are better.

However, a cup kit from a 135? Sell it and you can buy h&r springs tuned for the 1m for less than you'll get for your cup kit, win win. Now engine mods, bring the chip, occ, charge pipe, intake, intercooler everything but the axle back.