BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Nice Suprise!

PArked the car in an underground carpark, front in, up against a concrete pillar and felt pretty safe............

came back to the car an hour later to find this little message on the front of the wife's 135.

Needless to say she wasn't happy when I brought her car home in this condition. "why my car?", "my mini coped it last time in a car park now this"

Didn't have the heart to ssay I would rather her car than mine. Now the usual cr8p, insurance quote, car off the road for a week and $500 access plus chop goes the bonus.

I suppose one has to look at it this way, too keep it straight and clean, don't drive it otherwise deal with sh1t.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:18 AM   #2
white 125M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: White 125 M Sport

Hey mate, sorry to hear about the wife's 135 - are going on the run to Tidbinbilla next Monday with the club?

We decided to go for the 335 in the end rather than the 135 - which is why I haven't been around here for a while . Did you guys end up going to the Southern Highlands over Easter with the club?

Cheers,
Phil
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 06:22 AM   #3
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Ouch. What is wrong with people.
Let us know how much it cost to repair. Touch on wood, but I have yet to experience a carpark damage but I know its gonna happen one day.
Its inevitable but it helps to let it out .
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:23 AM   #4
~sarah~
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2008 135  [10.00]
No note i assume. Some people are so dishonest.
I would be devistated if that happened to my car. :-(
      04-21-2009, 08:44 AM   #5
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

That type of thing really annoys me. It shows 3 things:
1. Dishonesty - accidents happen, but at least own up to your mistakes.
2. Lack of respect for other people's property - if you break something that belongs to someone else, you should fix it. Don't we teach that to our children - maybe it's just me, but that's what we tought our kids
3. Incompetent driving - if you aren't capable of competant judgement, hand in your license.

I have a "pet peeve" with 4wd owners. I'm of the view that their vehicles instill in them an inappropriate level of confidence in their own ability and safety in their vehicles, which results in complete disregard for all other road (and carpark) users. For the most part, they are some of the most selfish drivers on the road, and appear quite happy with that role.

Every time a family friend announces that they've "bought the wife a 4wd", I reponds to "the wife" with - "Gee, I always though of you as a good driver. Most blokes buy those for their wives to wrap them in sheet metal so they don't hurt themselves or the kids." -- So far 2 4wd's have been replaced with a month of purchase - no BS!

I'm picking a 4wd did it!!!! nothing emotional in that statement.

I'm not making light of your situation, quite the opposite - it infuriates me that folks like us have to do "laps" of a carpark to find a spot where we think we're safe from the perils of incompetant and careless drivers, and 4wd's.

Sorry for your "scars", but they are fixable, and it'll be good as new.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Mark M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

Confused. If you were front in and hugging a concrete pillar, how could that type of damage happen on the front right of the car?

Not to be a doubter...but are you sure it happened in the parking garage? Perhaps it happened elsewhere but was not noticed till in the parking garage? Either way, you have my sympathy. People that can't drive and don't own up to their mistakes are scum!!! Like above...I bet it was a woman in an SUV.

Years back....was visiting a buddy. Came out of his apartment one morning to find that some A$$ had hit my parked e30 M3. Had damage to the lower driver's door and 1/4 panel. No note...nothing. And the night before I even parked at the far end of the lot under a light.

I use to have an old e28 535 as my pack mule car. The car I would take when going to NYC or Philly or any risky area. Was great, with those old aluminum bus bumpers, I never had to wrry about cars bumping me with on-street parking.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Mark, Keep in mind, this is the Australian part of the forum, so cars are right hand drive, and thus are usually parked to the left, which leaves the right side exposed.

If you're gonna get it in a car park, it'll be on the right side as a rule.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

sigh...people like that should be killed!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
man that really sucks... i wonder if the car park has any security cameras??? might be worth asking...
in a similar situation i was helping my bro fix something up on his front bumper, and we had found that someone had dented the front driver's side corner of the bumper....
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

That just plain bad luck mate.. You do all the right things parking close to a pillar and some fwit still manages to swipe you...
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys for the sympathetic comments..

I will try and not look at the front of the car till it is repaired, prolly turn it around in the shame corner of the garage or something. And resist the weekly wash till it is back to pristine again.

Mark M, It was parked front in rhs side against a pillar, the spot in front had no pillar so I am guessing it was some d1ck who reversed in blind and came back to far. It is a long story but it was my wife who parked the car not me, I normally park 150m (I need the exercise anyway) from the entry to the shops, taking up two car spaces with no parks available in front. Which creates it's own risk, someone thinks YOU are a d1ck and key scratches your car cause they are jealous and that you have taken up two spots.

Life goes on, it's just a car..... (just don't touch my M or I will kill!!!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Alpine, here's your chance to get a CF widebody kit too! Hehe

Sarah, didn't realise you are here. How is the blue vert? I am assuming you have it in your posession now? See you at Sandown with it next time?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #13
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sarah~ View Post
No note i assume. Some people are so dishonest.
I would be devistated if that happened to my car. :-(
No note, maybe it blew off the car (NOT).

Yes my wife was and is devasted, we really look after our cars so anything like this issue hits a raw nerve!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 01:36 AM   #14
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep

I too like everyone else here look for a good spot away from other vechiles. But why is that when I park at the end of an almost empty parking lot, some twit will always park really close to you on drivers side when there are hundreds of other spots with plenty of room to park.

A recent close carpark experience I had was that a driver reversing out of a parking space did not look where he was going. I had to beep the horn relenstly to attract his attention, as I has stuck in the middle of a carpark queue. Lucky for myself he manage to stop, he didnt even acknowelege the close call.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 02:11 AM   #15
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbynoway View Post
... why is that when I park at the end of an almost empty parking lot, some twit will always park really close to you on drivers side when there are hundreds of other spots with plenty of room to park.
For the same reason as when I sit in a nearly empty movie theatre, someone will feel the need to sit right in front of me - or worse still, when I find a semi private spot at an almost empty urinal and some wierdo feels the need to stand right next to me...

Sorry to hear Alpine. Hope it's fixed soon.
      04-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #16
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

I don't mind if that person who parked next to me also owns a nice car and wants to look after it as they stop other goons parking on either side of me.

But If I come back with a dent in the door, there will be a foot in theirs.
      04-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #17
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiuM View Post
I don't mind if that person who parked next to me also owns a nice car and wants to look after it as they stop other goons parking on either side of me.

But If I come back with a dent in the door, there will be a foot in theirs.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #18
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

which car park?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2009, 08:30 PM   #19
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Hey,
Im a little refeshed! Thought this stuff only happend in NY.
Yeah came back couple weeks ago after getting car detailed with nice ding and crease on my passenger door.
$150 US later its gone. Thanks god for paintless dent removal.
But as OP says..
"I suppose one has to look at it this way, too keep it straight and clean, don't drive it otherwise deal with sh1t."
Well said!
btw...looks like a big SUV with big ass bumpers hit ya....bastard!!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2009, 02:48 AM   #20
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yep 135 View Post
which car park?
Under Big double U in Gungahlin, why? do you want to know where to get some good damage too?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 12:30 AM   #21
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

no just wont to know were not to park.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2009, 11:04 PM   #22
Furo125i
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW/CORAL 125i

Garage List
Sorry to hear that Alpine but it happens Alpine and i agree that the only to not deal with this shit is not to drive it, there are so many incompetent drivers out there.. mine was hit by a tow bar on the 10th of Feb, which created a nice hole on the left side of the number plate, and had to replace the whole front bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfi2906 View Post
That type of thing really annoys me. It shows 3 things:
1. Dishonesty - accidents happen, but at least own up to your mistakes.
2. Lack of respect for other people's property - if you break something that belongs to someone else, you should fix it. Don't we teach that to our children - maybe it's just me, but that's what we tought our kids
3. Incompetent driving - if you aren't capable of competant judgement, hand in your license.

I have a "pet peeve" with 4wd owners. I'm of the view that their vehicles instill in them an inappropriate level of confidence in their own ability and safety in their vehicles, which results in complete disregard for all other road (and carpark) users. For the most part, they are some of the most selfish drivers on the road, and appear quite happy with that role.

Every time a family friend announces that they've "bought the wife a 4wd", I reponds to "the wife" with - "Gee, I always though of you as a good driver. Most blokes buy those for their wives to wrap them in sheet metal so they don't hurt themselves or the kids." -- So far 2 4wd's have been replaced with a month of purchase - no BS!

I'm picking a 4wd did it!!!! nothing emotional in that statement.

I'm not making light of your situation, quite the opposite - it infuriates me that folks like us have to do "laps" of a carpark to find a spot where we think we're safe from the perils of incompetant and careless drivers, and 4wd's.

Sorry for your "scars", but they are fixable, and it'll be good as new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgad View Post
btw...looks like a big SUV with big ass bumpers hit ya....bastard!!

no note as well.. sigh..

It seems like our 1's is to small to be seen by SUVs.. and those with tow bars. I don't understand why they use them if they can't judge the distance especially those that extends 1 Meter out from the back.

I'm still against those that put on the tow bars for show -.- there should be regulations that forces them to at least cover them when it's not in use.