BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2016, 06:02 PM   #1
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Another misfire thread -- Persistent 29D2 Cylinder 6 code at all times

A little backstory:

Went from stock to FBO (BMS DPs - VRSF 7" FMIC - BMS JB4 G5 ISO - BMS E85 BEF - Fuel It Stage 2 LPFP - MMP Silicone Inlets - BMS DCI - ER Charge Pipe - HKS BOV) over the course of about 1 month. Everything was running great, until one evening I up the E85 mixture and switch to Map 2 on my BEF (targets 17 psi). Injectors, plugs have been replaced very recently. Started my 1 hour commute to work, and with about 15 minutes left found some room to go WOT. At the top of 3rd gear, get a 29D2 misfire in cylinder 6 and started running rough. No problem, it's probably the coils, so I limped it to work.

At the end of the day, gently made the commute back home. About halfway home the car started missing even at normal throttle, and by the time I was pulling into the parking lot at home, car was throwing check engine light at any RPM. Even at idle, car was stumbling and running awful. Turned the car off and left it sitting for 2 days until my 6 new coils arrived, had planned on changing these soon for preventative maintenance this week anyways.

Replaced all 6 coils, no change. Still misfire on cylinder 6. Had a new plug on hand, so stuck a brand new plug in cylinder 6, no change, still misfire on cylinder 6. Here's a picture of the original plug in cylinder 6 with around 1,000 miles of easy use. Looks fine with no signs of anything funny going on.

Checked all vacuum hoses, injector connections, etc. and everything is secured and plugged in like it should. At this point, the only thing remaining would be a faulty injector, which I had originally ruled out because the previous owner had just had them replaced under recall somewhat recently.

Go check them and sure enough, cylinder 1, 2, 3, and 5 have 08 index injectors, while cylinders 4 and 6 (the faulty cylinder) have 07 index injectors. Makes me think only 1, 2, 3, and 5 have been upgraded, and 4/6 are the original injectors.

My question at this point, does it sound right that I would have virtually no issues out of an injector and then all of a sudden it fail completely? My car at idle is/sounds like it's running on 5 cylinders at all time. My previous car had injector problems and it resulted in a rough idle on cold starts, but this engine doesn't seem to be "hunting" idle RPM like that, and it in no way gets better after the engine has heated up.

After letting the engine run like in the video for a minute or two, I pull the plug and it looks exactly the same as before, which sounds to me like the injector is not the problem, or it's failed completely and is no longer moving any amount of fuel. Would love to hear some input before I bite the bullet and just swap all new index 12s in there. I would have swapped the injectors today, but would hate to have to deal with seals if I swapped injectors 5 and 6, and the misfire again stayed on 6. Again, this rough running condition is across the board, all RPMS, idle, partial throttle, etc. Going WOT is not even an option as rough as it's running.

Video of the car running poorly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELfDJqM6XcY

Last edited by chadillac2000; 08-30-2016 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
pysik
Private
Rep
Drives: 11' Le Mans Blue 135i

Did you ever figure this one out? I am having the same issue but on Cylinder 5. Did a swap of all the plugs and the coils. However still misfiring on Cylinder 5. Have the same sound as you do in the video.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysik View Post
Did you ever figure this one out? I am having the same issue but on Cylinder 5. Did a swap of all the plugs and the coils. However still misfiring on Cylinder 5. Have the same sound as you do in the video.
No not at the moment. The car has been sitting with the engine cover off all week. INPA cable and decouplers showed up today. Index 12 injectors and out of date laptop to run INPA and code injectors coming Friday.

So I will let you know this weekend if 6 brand new index 12 injectors solves my problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 08:16 AM   #4
pysik
Private
Rep
Drives: 11' Le Mans Blue 135i

If one of the injectors is bad, should we be changing the whole bank to new ones?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pysik View Post
If one of the injectors is bad, should we be changing the whole bank to new ones?
Not completely necessary, and most people would just find a used injector for cylinder 6, but after all the research I've done, I'm looking for peace of mind knowing I have all new index 12 injectors installed and coded so I don't have to worry in the future.

I don't think you can mix index 11/12 injectors with anything index 1-10 within the same bank. For example, if you had all index 9 in bank 1, you wouldn't be able to swap in a new index 12 to replace one of the 9s, even if it's coded.

Again this is just what I've read, so someone may be mixing them and their car is running fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 10:33 PM   #6
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

For those wondering...6 new index 12 injectors have seemed to do the trick. After coding them up, hit the start button and everything sounded much better than before. Idle is dead on the money and I'm back up on 6 cylinders again.

Cover off

Fuel lines removed

Where I kept everything for the install organized. Recorded all the values so I could code the injectors afterwards with INPA.

Not sure if the fact that cylinder 6 was giving me the trouble had anything to do with it, but the cylinder 6 injector was 10x as hard as the other 5 to remove. Had no issues at all getting 1-5 out, but 6 took forever. 1-5 looked pretty normal to me, but 6 did have some visible issues going on.

All buttoned back up. Also threw in some BMS cowl filters and a RB PVC valve while I had everything off for the injector swap.

And the after video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96JxLc7ynyI

Last edited by chadillac2000; 08-30-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 05:40 PM   #7
Crazy Legs
Rep
Drives: 135i

Where did you get your INPA software? The one I'm using doesn't have an E82 option, and it won't connect properly if I select E90.

BTW, I'm experiencing an identical situation as yours, with only cylinder 6 misfire at all rpms despite changing coils and spark plugs. I already have my index 12 injectors, and K+DCAN cable.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #8
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Legs View Post
Where did you get your INPA software? The one I'm using doesn't have an E82 option, and it won't connect properly if I select E90.

BTW, I'm experiencing an identical situation as yours, with only cylinder 6 misfire at all rpms despite changing coils and spark plugs. I already have my index 12 injectors, and K+DCAN cable.
I used the software found in post 1 of Vasil's DIY: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645844

And I was able to connect and code using the E90 option, and yes you are correct, no E82 option. Not sure why you are not able to connect using E90 though.
Appreciate 0