BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #23
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Midday update:

They called me and told me that even though the top is working again, the tech found a TSB about the issue. He said it described my issue to a "T" (top almost closing, motor whirring, but the hooks not locking down to the windshield header).

Apparently, there is a cable in the top that gets caught on an exposed screw under there. The fix is to simply cover the exposed screw with some nylon tape so that the cable no longer gets caught. Seems like a likely scenario, and the cable had come dislodged from the screw while it was slack when I had the top down, hence the reason it started working again.

Kudos to Tulley BMW for actually LISTENING to their customer and trying to find a resolution even though the top was working perfectly. Lots of dealers would've given it the "working within spec" stamp and sent me on my way until the next time the cable caught.

I have a rattle in the back that they're sorting out now. I'll let everyone know if they find it and how to fix it.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #24
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

get news! can you find out the TSB number? I would like to have this proactively taken care of the dealership next time I bring the car in for service instead to wait for the top fail to close (when I really need it to).
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #25
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
get news! can you find out the TSB number? I would like to have this proactively taken care of the dealership next time I bring the car in for service instead to wait for the top fail to close (when I really need it to).
I will look at the paperwork when I pick it up and see if it's listed. If not I'll give them a call.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #26
BlackjackMulligan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
If the top is functioning as intended then there is no need to remove the SmartTop module. You can just "turn it off". One of the setting is to disable the SmartTop features and go back to the normal setting (effectively you bypass the module). Unless they pull out your back seat they will never know it is there.
True, you can set it to "off", but the problem is IF they had to remove the back seat for any reason while servicing the top (even to protect the leather) there's the SmarTTop module sitting there for all to see.

I removed mine just in case.....and in the process became an expert at it lol. I got it back in yesterday in about 20 minutes

Removing it can be a bit challenging....it's hard to get the wires out of the black plugs that they send you. I have a stab mark in my finger from a small screwdriver to prove it!

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #27
warmtoes
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: EBII 435i xDrive

Glad to hear your dealer has competent people working for them who don't automatically assume the customers are stupid.

Did you get the TSB number yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #28
Bill H
Rep
Drives: E93 330D

Same issue - just fixed sensor problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackjackMulligan View Post
Midday update:

They called me and told me that even though the top is working again, the tech found a TSB about the issue. He said it described my issue to a "T" (top almost closing, motor whirring, but the hooks not locking down to the windshield header).

Apparently, there is a cable in the top that gets caught on an exposed screw under there. The fix is to simply cover the exposed screw with some nylon tape so that the cable no longer gets caught. Seems like a likely scenario, and the cable had come dislodged from the screw while it was slack when I had the top down, hence the reason it started working again.

Kudos to Tulley BMW for actually LISTENING to their customer and trying to find a resolution even though the top was working perfectly. Lots of dealers would've given it the "working within spec" stamp and sent me on my way until the next time the cable caught.

I have a rattle in the back that they're sorting out now. I'll let everyone know if they find it and how to fix it.
This is an old thread but I guess people are still finding it for the roof problem.
I'll also post in a new thread.
I had this exact problem and in searching for clues found that several others have had it. Posting this as I just FIXED it.
Just had a problem on our 120i where the roof wont latch to the top of the windscreen when it closes.
The whole mechanism seems to work up until the final locking but then the hooks just dont move - so was then serenaded by the BMW bongs as you drive along.
AFter 3 days of intense problem determination have finally solved it - and I reckon it could be a common problem so hope this helps someone else.Name:  location of ram roof halfway up.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  221.9 KB

Name:  location of sensor close up.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  151.2 KB

The solution was one of the Hall Effect sensors on the mechanism that had become displaced by a few millimeters, managed to push back in place and secured with a cable tie. The sensor that caused this is called "Tensioning bar extended" but what it really means is the hydraulic ram is extended that pushes the rear window up and down.

There are a total of 8 Hall sensors on the mechanism - these are on a RH drive car I presume they are the same for LH drive as well.
1 in the cowl panel above the windscreen
2 under the rear storage compartment on the LH side of the vehicle (looking forward)
5 behind the rear RH quarter panel (when looking forward).

These can be really difficult to find as some are only exposed at certain points as the roof goes up/down, its easiest to find the cable and follow it to the sensor, - there are 2 towards the back of the mechanism that are obvious when the storage compartment cover is up, a third can be seen from the same point but looking forward under the rams, a fourth is buried deep down near the seat belt , and the 5th was the devil - it was on the hydraulic strut itself and very well camoflaged, the cable to it was tied to the hydraulic lines and had pulled tight - it had pulled the sensor out by just a mm or two. I cut off the cable ties and tied the sensor to the strut itself.

There was an awful lot more to the diagnosis than that, I ended up taking the Control Unit out and used a oscilloscope to monitor the sensor signals as the roof moved, once you've located the sensor you can actually test it by monitoring the pins on the control unit with a 'scope or digital voltmeter as you pass a steel bar in front of the sensor.
Trying tpo add a picture of the sensor layout and the pin numbers in the control unit - without success at moment.

Last edited by Bill H; 05-14-2020 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: correct errors
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 11:42 AM   #29
Bill H
Rep
Drives: E93 330D

added layout of sensors and pin out in the control unit

Name:  sensor locations with pin out.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  54.1 KB
Appreciate 0