E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E46 vs. E90: what’s better / worse than before?

02-19-2006, 12:16 AM   #67
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I like my (A4) front end more, the front of the 3 looks like they had no idea what to make. The kidney grill is horrible, IMHO. The spy shoots of the forthcoming coupe look like they went back to the traditional grill design.

Every 3 series should aim to improve upon the E30 design, if it fails to do so, then the company is taking a step back. Bangles Bungles are really sad, and his philosophy of basing his car designs on buildings is just ridiculous.

Jon.
You and AEM makes almost similiar points.Which is quite different from majorities.
IIRC, 99% of the magazine reviewers and people on this forum say its the rear design that has problems. Front end, absoutely nothing but beauty. E46 is more classic and subtle, which I love. E90 is more modern with smooth lines. The modern look of the new E90 is what makes people think "E46 is aging". Aging gracefully.

I love AUDIs, but you have the ugliest generation possible in Audi's A4 history. really, I am an Audi fan(never really mentioned it here, hell its BMW forum). Especially the older A4/S4 bodies. But the new one, oh my lord. What is up with that ridiculous civic-alike tailight and the nasty 50" Plasma Screen sized chrome/black grille?

Look. Its turning into more of a bird than a car.

Its funny how Audi owners talk crap about E90 design. Really. I mean if an owner with a beautiful DB8 comes in and criticize about E90's design, I would understand. Because I would know that the man knows what he is doing(judging by his awesome taste, choosing the aston martin).

Again though, to each on your own. If you think your car is prettier, thats all it matters.
To me for the new Audi, they didn't change enough inside, and changed too much outside.
As one C&D magazine reviewer said, "but enthusiasm failed to thunderhead for the latest A4. Here is one reason: It remains pretty much as it has always been, and others have gotten better".

anyways, enjoy your Audi.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 09:06 AM   #68
abc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by aem
I think it's time for some pics...

The e90

The e46

You would agree that the e90's front is bland and not as classy as the e46.
- The part of the e90's bumper just below the lights and around to the sides is more slanty. It doesnt look good as it makes the headlights and nostrils look overly small and unproportional.
- The crab belly like centre section is the worse looking bit.

There is nothing to dislike about the e46's front. Everything is proportionaled...

Here's is the ugliness of the e90 highlighted through this angle of a shot...
i miss how on the e46, the kidneys are part of the hood, i like how the sheetmetal from the hood swoops down to catch the grill, rounding along the edge of the headlights.

e90, it cuts down into the headlights, and the grill is not part of the hood. There's a line that slices between the hood and the kidneys. The only thing on the hood are the eyebrows of the grill.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #69
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep
Drives: 06' Audi A4 2.0T

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh
You and AEM makes almost similiar points.Which is quite different from majorities.
IIRC, 99% of the magazine reviewers and people on this forum say its the rear design that has problems. Front end, absoutely nothing but beauty. E46 is more classic and subtle, which I love. E90 is more modern with smooth lines. The modern look of the new E90 is what makes people think "E46 is aging". Aging gracefully.

I love AUDIs, but you have the ugliest generation possible in Audi's A4 history. really, I am an Audi fan(never really mentioned it here, hell its BMW forum). Especially the older A4/S4 bodies. But the new one, oh my lord. What is up with that ridiculous civic-alike tailight and the nasty 50" Plasma Screen sized chrome/black grille?

Look. Its turning into more of a bird than a car.

Its funny how Audi owners talk crap about E90 design. Really. I mean if an owner with a beautiful DB8 comes in and criticize about E90's design, I would understand. Because I would know that the man knows what he is doing(judging by his awesome taste, choosing the aston martin).

Again though, to each on your own. If you think your car is prettier, thats all it matters.
To me for the new Audi, they didn't change enough inside, and changed too much outside.
As one C&D magazine reviewer said, "but enthusiasm failed to thunderhead for the latest A4. Here is one reason: It remains pretty much as it has always been, and others have gotten better".

anyways, enjoy your Audi.
Actually, I think Audi is going really retro with the grill…after all it mimics the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s style of floor to hood grill:

Auto Union Silver Arrow (Silberpfeile):

Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial-Roadster:

BMW 328 Roadster:

Jon.

Sucker love is heaven sent.
You pucker up, our passion’s spent.
My hearts a tart, your body’s rent.
My body’s broken, yours is spent.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #70
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

I prefer the mechanical bits, engine, ergonomics and torsional rigidity of the E 90. However, the E 30, E 36 and E 46 cars look like BMWs whereas the E 90 exterior looks like everything else with a couple extra creases thrown in. BMW will do well with the E 90 but is likely to cause a few of the heretofore faithful to consider the dark side where some of the competition is getting very close in areas where BMW excelled for so long.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #71
PittWm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i SP pack, Prem pack, CW

Let's see, I don't like the DTC right next to the vents and I missed my temp gauge in my E46
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 02:57 PM   #72
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc
i miss how on the e46, the kidneys are part of the hood, i like how the sheetmetal from the hood swoops down to catch the grill, rounding along the edge of the headlights.

e90, it cuts down into the headlights, and the grill is not part of the hood. There's a line that slices between the hood and the kidneys. The only thing on the hood are the eyebrows of the grill.
I miss that too on my previous E46.
However, I think BMW eliminated that design partly because the swooping hood invariably gets damage in a front collision.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #73
imageWIS
Audi Roamer…
Rep
Drives: 06' Audi A4 2.0T

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lux.sh

That’s not a good shot btw, this is:

Anyways, wasn’t it Bangle that said that his designs don’t photograph well and should be viewed in real life?

Jon.

P.S. There are elements of the E90 that I do like, such as comfort access, the new key design, standard 6-speed; my original question was to owners as to how they compare one car design to the other.

Sucker love is heaven sent.
You pucker up, our passion’s spent.
My hearts a tart, your body’s rent.
My body’s broken, yours is spent.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #74
visor
BMW, can I have some LSD please?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittWm
Let's see, I don't like the DTC right next to the vents and I missed my temp gauge in my E46
DTC button location: yeah, as someone said once, it's more difficult to surreptitiously deactivate DSC to have a little fun without alerting your wife/gf sitting right there.

Temp gauge: is heavily buffered on the E46. Not needed on E90, as the N52 engine with the on-demand coolant pump runs at a much wider range of operating temp depending on power vs. fuel economy requirements. Search and you'll find lots of info on this.
2017 340i xDrive | Estoril | Black | Al | 8AT | M Package
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:38 PM   #75
tctic
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor
DTC button location: yeah, as someone said once, it's more difficult to surreptitiously deactivate DSC to have a little fun without alerting your wife/gf sitting right there.
Just press it 'accidentally' when locking the doors..lol
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 03:46 PM   #76
Haiko
Private
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

I liked how on my '01 325 ci, the wood gear shifter matched the wooden dash. I think the aluminum one in the e90 sticks out like a sore thumb if you have wood trim. Since mine is a lease I'm not willing to spend the $ and change it. Also the sport wheel on the e46 with the double lower bar was nicer than the new one IMO.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #77
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imageWIS
That’s not a good shot btw, this is:

Anyways, wasn’t it Bangle that said that his designs don’t photograph well and should be viewed in real life?

Jon.

P.S. There are elements of the E90 that I do like, such as comfort access, the new key design, standard 6-speed; my original question was to owners as to how they compare one car design to the other.
thats definitely a better shot.

I still prefer older generation A4s. My love for Audi has been demolished by the new styling.

I think we should do a poll though. In some other random car forum.
"Which car would you take if you can pick one? E90 or the new Audi?"
That'll be interesting.

As for your question, honestly. what do you expect?

This is an E90 forum. More will favor E90. Those few who doesn't, are the ones probably who doesn't have the E90 or owns E46.
No matter what others say, E90 is a step up from E46. BMW will not play stupid game with 3 series. It contributes 60% of their whole sales. And they did the job well. Go take a look in real life. See an E46/E90 parked together, see which one looks outdated(doesn't necessarily mean anything bad, I mean time flies and things change). I still LOVE E46 design though. Its very classic, and most "BMWish". The e90 design is more facing towards futuristic design with sharp&smooth lines combined.

Really, design debate between e46/e90 is stupid and its getting real old.
Pick what you like and move on.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #78
ben1364
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat
What about the E21 and E30?

The E30 is still my personal favorite to drive. Though I know the actual numbers belie this fact, they feel so much lighter and nimbler behind the wheel than the E36, E46, E90, et al...
I agree re the E 30 cars. I had two and kick myself or ever selling them. Same goes for the round talilight '02.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 06:30 AM   #79
ben1364
Captain
Rep

How did this thread deteriorate into an infantile shouting match? The BMW three series has evolved from the only 'sports sedan,' the 2002, to become a very competent mainstream near luxury car with sporting capability, arguably still the best in the segment.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 06:43 AM   #80
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc

I'm no automotive designer i must say lol, but imo anything that "cuts" or isn't smooth where it suppose to be is a flaw in the design.

I dare not put this pic up of the new Mitsubishi Magna but it has some similarities, a strong one being the hood cutting the grille....

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 07:16 AM   #81
davinet78
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 320d

Garage List
i think the e90 is better in every aspect but a bmw is always a bmw
      02-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #82
h_curtis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ordered blk s 330 sp, pr, cold

The pictures of silver e46 and the e90's front really show the e46 is really better looking. The rear on the e46 is better as well. I don't think most could say the e90's interior was an improvement. The side of the e90 is nice an clean and if you have the 330i w/sport with those nice 18's it looks good, but if you have any other stock rim, they are lost and the wheels look tiny.

All-in-all in the looks department I feel the e46 is better and the interior functionality is much better in the e46. Performance goes to the e90.

I think BMW didn't do a good job with this car. That flat dash is very hard to get excited about. Reminds me of an old American car from the 60's. The interior looks much cheaper and not driver oriented at all.

I just got back from a car show and was going to buy an e90, but now am unsure. I may look for an e46 with low miles. I know the car may look dated to some, but it is nicer. I am still on the fence though, because I may prefer the quieter interior of the e90 on trips. That sort or refinement is good. I am 40, not 22, so I really don't need engine growl to feel like a man.

JMHO,
Curt
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 11:17 AM   #83
ben1364
Captain
Rep

It would save both bandwidth and time if pictures were limited to truly unique and relevant vehicles. We really don'n benefit from pictures of ordinary cars. Just my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #84
wheeler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor

I have a very unique feature on my E90. If the DSC system interceeds on my behalf, not only do I get the warning lamp on my dash, I get an auditory alert as well--a high pitched scream from the passenger seat!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #85
aem
Why pay more for nothing?
Australia
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
It would save both bandwidth and time if pictures were limited to truly unique and relevant vehicles. We really don'n benefit from pictures of ordinary cars. Just my opinion...
Pics don't lie.

I choose to show silver (was looking for white ones) because it's a light color and my aim was to show it as clear as possible when trying to describe/compare. There may be some truth in what you're saying had it been black because with black you cannot see clearly...black cars tends to show less of everything (except dirt and dust).

I'm very much now undecided, but i will by my bimmer wanting low miles because it will be driven to work...and it has to be black to disguise all the negative points
Appreciate 0