E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > The things you do not like about the E90...

07-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #23
Dani
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325I Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHC
As much as I love my ride, here are some minor gripes:

(1) The intermittent wipers are too fast. I've turned the sensitivity down to the lowest setting but it's still ridiculous.
I use the automatic wiper function and the wipers are always just the right speed!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 07:42 PM   #24
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by David325Australia
Hey Ward,

why are you not happy with the pirelli tyres?
I have them on my car but I am not taking delivery of the car until 30th July.

Oh dear????
They work fine, but if you're into spirited driving they're not great

For example, on lots of on/off ramps on the freeway I can play a game where I first, get the tires to squeal, then the tricky part is to keep the squeal at a constant pitch throughout the corner.

The runflats on my Z4 aren't quite as bad, (bridgestones potenza re50, maybe the same as 330 sport pack) but when I autocrossed it last weekend those made tons of noise too.

I haven't had tires this squeally before on anything (given all cars have been BMW, tires have been high performance yoko, bridgestone, michelin)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #25
Pangearox
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kao BMW
7. the car looks too damn cool that I have to look at it for a while after I park my car anywhere.
HAHAHA,...i totally do this too....I love the look of my car soooo much that i stare at it while i walk away from the car....

my only pet peve with the car is that i am so carefull with the car i have to walk a mile in parking lots cause i park so far away from everyone else!
      07-20-2005, 08:04 PM   #26
Execution
The Executive
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90-325 ZSP Black/Black

Thumbs up

Instead of replying each post in this thread, unfortunately I have a lengthy summary so please bear with me:

WIPERS - They work great! Once I figured out the button (on the wiper stalk) to turn on the automatic sensing wipers, they have been a joy to use while driving in the rain. That is the best way to use your wipers. I owned a couple of E46's and these wipers work better than those ever did, of course, in my opinion.

DRIVERS SIDE WINDOW BUTTONS - I agree that they are a little further down than I would have liked. I have caught myself accidently opening the rear windows on more than a few occasions. Sometimes I have to look at the door to make sure that I am opening the correct windows.

CUPHOLDERS - They are not designed to hold "open" drinks i.e. cups with lightweight lids for example from fast food restaurants, like McDonalds. The cupholders are designed to hold small bottles (8 - 24 ounces) with secured twisting caps. Anything else and you are at your own risk. If BMW were to really have its way, there would be no cupholders in the vehicle.

SEATBELTS - I love these seatbelts! The have adjustable "click" holders so that you don't have to go searching for the male click on the strap, making it ver convenient to use for both driver and passengers. I have mine set high on the seatbelt strap so that it is always an easy 2 second snap, once I am seated.

MOONROOF - The only thing I don't like about this is that if I forget to close the roof after I turn off the car, I will have to turn the car back on to then close the roof or of course I can close it using the key on the drivers side key hole. Not really a big deal but different from my E46 and E36.

TRUNK - In my E46, I had a reversable mat with a rubber side. It was great because you could flip over from the carpet side and use the rubber side which would prevent loose items from sliding around in the trunk, especially when you go grocery shopping or travelling with a light load. Yes, there is an accessory for it from the parts department, but it was a standard feature in the E46. Now I am going to have to pay for it ... Oh, well ...

Other than that absolutely no complaints ... I completely enjoy and LOVE my E90! It is my favorite vehicle, ever!
:rocks:

Execution

Execution - The Executive:
E90 on ASA AR-1's front 19 x 8.5; rear 19 x 9.5

VEMMA & VERVE
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #27
Execution
The Executive
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90-325 ZSP Black/Black

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kao BMW
hey, spydrz. You can access the sunroof w/o turning the engine on by inserting the fob and press/hold the engine on/off button w/o your foot on the brakes.

1. everytime I try to open the front windows, i accidently open the rear windows.
2. annoying seat belt warning ring.
3. doesn't have standard fold down seats
4. the need to depress the brakes before starting engine. (i like to warm up the car a little and i have to get in, sit down, and keep foot on brake, and then come back out.)
5. angel eyes... just kidding
6. the little lights under the door handles... just kidding #2
7. the car looks too damn cool that I have to look at it for a while after I park my car anywhere.
8. constant examinations of paint surface.

I finally "allowed" my wife to drive my E90 today, while I drove her E36 on our way home today ... oh my, oh my ... what a freaking sight!!! It was the coolest, most incredibly (?) looking thing I have seen on the road!

On our way home, she was looking at me like I was crazy ... I would let her pass me, then I would pass her, and then we would rotate the leads again. I was just admiring the vehicle from all angles, it looked so darn gone sweeeet on those meaty shoes. The electric shades and the manual side shades stay up at all times to give it that tinted window look, making it look extra sweet on the Jet Black/Black ride.

E90's do look too darn cool, for real ... but I tell you, it looks even cooler on the road. I did the same thing when I finally saw an E90 330i on the road. First I honked at him and then waved ... good thing, he waved back and I am sure that his wife was probably asking him, "Who is that idiot waving at you and smiling so wide?" ... LMAO ... then I passed his car and then let him pass me. He was driving an SG 330i SP ... sweet looking thing! I was busy admiring his ride, but I doubt he was admiring mine ...

... he looked like he was on his 10th LUXURY CAR! LOL

Execution

Execution - The Executive:
E90 on ASA AR-1's front 19 x 8.5; rear 19 x 9.5

VEMMA & VERVE
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2005, 10:16 PM   #28
rad21
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

SEATBELTS - I love these seatbelts! The have adjustable "click" holders so that you don't have to go searching for the male click on the strap, making it ver convenient to use for both driver and passengers. I have mine set high on the seatbelt strap so that it is always an easy 2 second snap, once I am seated.

What do you mean by this
      07-21-2005, 12:29 AM   #29
bookman2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i SP, PP

Mine is a manual and the throws are longer than I would have liked. The clutch engagment is a little high as well. These are minor complaints which won't faze me after I've become accustomed to them. Love my car. Oh, by the way, I picked it up on the 18th.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 12:34 AM   #30
z1ppo325i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: blk.s e90 325i

rear seat belt.. if i have my windows open, the rear seat belt flaps in the wind... very annoying.. prevents me from opening the windows... also the vaccum sound effect with rear right window open....few thing i can avoid by not opening the windows...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 12:43 AM   #31
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

My list of minor gripes :

- The window controls are too far down the door handle. This is a popular one.
- The child window lock is in front of the windows so you bump it when trying to open the windows. You also can't tell by touch if you've engaged the window lock.
- The trunk release button is tiny and hidden. It is convenient to pop the trunk when dropping off passengers and its a pain to find. I had to read the manual to find it the first time.
- The seat memory functions do not record side bolster or lumbar positions!?
- The passenger seat does not have memory functions.
- The glove box is too small to fit the manual binder they give you. Mine now lives in the storage compartment in the trunk.
- The turn signal control stalk. Canceling a turn signal is a nightmare. The triple blink is okay, but wouldn't be necessary if it were simple to cancel the turn signal.
- The CD player can't be set to automatically display the current MP3 title. You have to keep pushing the CURR button every other song.
- The switching audio input button is weird. Press it once it brings up a selection menu. Press it again and it goes back to the input you were on. Press it again and it changes the input. Luckily the one on the steering wheel works sensibly. Each time you press it, it changes the input.
- The engine needs to be on to open or close the sunroof from the inside. You can however open the sunroof from the remote while the engine is off.

Finally I essentially loath this silly key fob ignition. My kingdom for an E46 style key!

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 02:32 AM   #32
nexus66
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp
- The CD player can't be set to automatically display the current MP3 title. You have to keep pushing the CURR button every other song.
- Collin
Collin, when you press the CURR button to get the current song shown on the display (with a tick beside it), the button then changes to TRACK (I think) press it again and you get a nice display of the Artist and Track names which changes when the track changes. Not so good for navigating the tracks though. Oh - and you also need to have the Id tags populated in the MP3s before writing to disk otherwise you'll get No Artist/No Track displayed.

You think the e90 stereo is a pain for MP3's you wanna try a MINI's!!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 02:50 AM   #33
Broken1
Addict
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinp

- The glove box is too small to fit the manual binder they give you. Mine now lives in the storage compartment in the trunk.
- The turn signal control stalk. Canceling a turn signal is a nightmare. The triple blink is okay, but wouldn't be necessary if it were simple to cancel the turn signal.

- The engine needs to be on to open or close the sunroof from the inside. You can however open the sunroof from the remote while the engine is off.

Finally I essentially loath this silly key fob ignition. My kingdom for an E46 style key!

- Collin
The glove box does fit the manual, but then not much else. My dealer told me, most people don't want to keep their manuals in the glove box - because you look at it a few times when you buy the car and then never again! Above the toolbox in the boot (trunk) is the space for the manual and binder. It fits perfectly there. I'll take a photo of it this weekend!

The turn signal works perfectly. You actually can cancell it in the same direction as you are turning. When cancelling - just remember to not "click" it. You must push it as if you were going for a triple click function. I actually LOVE how it doesn't CLICK back when taking a corner...I think it feels quality and good.

My sunroof closes when the engine is on, when the engine has been switched off (for 15 mins) and from the keyfob remote and also if I keep touching the grooves on my door handle (Comf Acc). - This is not a hate the car problem, this is a hate the US regulations problem!

On a side note: The seatbelt reminder also irritates me when I am drinving around a parking lot, trying different parkings to see which one I feel most happy putting my E90 into!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 03:29 AM   #34
Swoosh
Private
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord EXR

Overall I'm quite happy with my E90 but I do have a few gripes ...

1.) Interior storage space is really lacking. The glove box doesn't offer a lot of space, and for rear passengers there's that center console slot that comes out but can store basically nothing.

2.) The orange interior lighting for the instrument/radio panels ... I dunno, it just kinda screams "1980s" to me, heh. I wish it were green or preferably light blue instead.

3.) As other posters have mentioned, there can be issues with blind spots. I dunno what it is, but its hard to spot a car if its right next to you in some cases.

4.) Could use a little more room in the rear.

5.) Factory alarm not standard kinda sucks.

6.) It's nice that you can hook up your i-Pod via the Auxiliary out ... but then you can't control/change songs through the stereo or the steering wheel. Also not displaying MP3 song titles is another gripe of mine.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 04:08 AM   #35
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Nobody has mentioned it yet, but I will

The E90 is a great car, but sometimes feels/is too heavy/big

Would be great if the car would weigh 100kg less.

I know because of safety etc etc cars are getting heavier/bigger all the time.

TVR/Lotus rule
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 04:31 AM   #36
collinp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken1
The glove box does fit the manual, but then not much else. My dealer told me, most people don't want to keep their manuals in the glove box - because you look at it a few times when you buy the car and then never again! Above the toolbox in the boot (trunk) is the space for the manual and binder. It fits perfectly there. I'll take a photo of it this weekend!
I can fit it in the glove box if I cram it, but the leather gets all indented from being wedged against the latch. It doesn't feel like its supposed to fit. I admit its kind of nice to reclaim an interior compartment from the manual. It works well in the trunk, though I find myself fishing it out to refer to it quite a bit.

I'll give your above the toolbox suggestion a try. I'll have to take a look to see exactly where you mean.

Quote:
The turn signal works perfectly. You actually can cancell it in the same direction as you are turning. When cancelling - just remember to not "click" it. You must push it as if you were going for a triple click function. I actually LOVE how it doesn't CLICK back when taking a corner...I think it feels quality and good.
The turn signal definitely feels high quality; I'm just not sold that its weird complexity really buys you anything. They'll become second nature to me eventually (though I'm pushing 2K miles and I still screw them up). I doubt, however, that I'm going to learn to love them.

Quote:
My sunroof closes when the engine is on, when the engine has been switched off (for 15 mins) and from the keyfob remote and also if I keep touching the grooves on my door handle (Comf Acc). - This is not a hate the car problem, this is a hate the US regulations problem!
Our litigious American society could easily cause car manufacturers to do this, however I've owned a bunch of cars and none of them prohibited you from doing things like closing the sunroof when the engine is off. I mean the car lets you close the windows when the engine is off, why not the sunroof? The E46 let you do this. Why can I open the sunroof with a remote with the engine off, but not from the inside with the engine off? I'm not sure regulations explain this sort of behavior. If it weren't documented in the manual I'd think these were bugs.

Quote:
On a side note: The seatbelt reminder also irritates me when I am drinving around a parking lot, trying different parkings to see which one I feel most happy putting my E90 into!
It is kind of annoying how militant the car is about making you wear your seatbelt. I'm pretty religious about it so its not that much of a problem. My wife has set it off a few times as a passenger however.

Someone on another thread mentioned that if the car detects someone in the seat without a belt it will be more likely to deploy the airbags even in relatively minor accidents. So buckling up even in situations where your life's probably not in danger could save you in airbag replacement costs if an accident were to occur.

- Collin
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 05:43 AM   #37
MPowerE90
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 2005

No angel eyes!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 06:43 AM   #38
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
The rear view mirror vibrates terribly...like in a Kia or something. I think it's linked to the fact that the engine vibrates much more than any other BMW I've owned...the 3.0 in the X was so smooth at idle that you didn't feel anything, other than a few shakes in the shift knob that all manuals do.
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #39
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz
The rear view mirror vibrates terribly...like in a Kia or something. I think it's linked to the fact that the engine vibrates much more than any other BMW I've owned...the 3.0 in the X was so smooth at idle that you didn't feel anything, other than a few shakes in the shift knob that all manuals do.
The ones i drove were so smooth you didnt know the engine was on at idle.

Maybe you got the rough running fault the lates software takes care of
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 07:33 AM   #40
spydrz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4, '15 i3

Garage List
06 330i  [7.00]
2002 X5 3.0i  [0.00]
2001 525i  [0.00]
Well, I did take it in for that...they didn't find anything wrong and said the software was the newest available.
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Dinan Stage 2
*retired
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 07:57 AM   #41
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

My main gripe is that the I-Drive response is sometimes slow. Like when entering a phone number with the knob, or trying to switch between the main menu and entertainment or nav.

BMW should have used a Pentium rather than a PIC.

-Dave C. '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 08:07 AM   #42
Cloud9
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Execution
I finally "allowed" my wife to drive my E90 today, while I drove her E36 on our way home today ... oh my, oh my ... what a freaking sight!!! It was the coolest, most incredibly (?) looking thing I have seen on the road!

On our way home, she was looking at me like I was crazy ... I would let her pass me, then I would pass her, and then we would rotate the leads again. I was just admiring the vehicle from all angles, it looked so darn gone sweeeet on those meaty shoes. The electric shades and the manual side shades stay up at all times to give it that tinted window look, making it look extra sweet on the Jet Black/Black ride.

E90's do look too darn cool, for real ... but I tell you, it looks even cooler on the road. I did the same thing when I finally saw an E90 330i on the road. First I honked at him and then waved ... good thing, he waved back and I am sure that his wife was probably asking him, "Who is that idiot waving at you and smiling so wide?" ... LMAO ... then I passed his car and then let him pass me. He was driving an SG 330i SP ... sweet looking thing! I was busy admiring his ride, but I doubt he was admiring mine ...

... he looked like he was on his 10th LUXURY CAR! LOL

Execution
LOL

My Exs: '03 540, '01 330ci and '00 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #43
PhilS
Private
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

It takes too long to get one!
      07-21-2005, 09:14 AM   #44
Big Foot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Sedan

Smile

I noted the following:
Window Switches - I am tall, so I find the window switches perfect.
I hated the ones in my E36
Glove Box - Owners Manual - I printed the PDF format manual found on this board long before I took delivery and have it in a binder which I keep in the car and use regularly.
I would probably damage the regular owners manual if i used it as much and I keep it in the trunk storage compartment along with warranty documents.
I also printed and laminated the list of the i Drive voice commands.
I have approx. 800 km on the clock with no problems.