BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
135forthewin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: sideways

Water in the exhaust?

So I have a little story to tell, which then leads to quite an odd question. I was washing my car and my younger brother was outside with me. I walk inside to get a drink, and when I get back out he's spraying the hose down the exhaust pipes!

The good thing is the car was cold, so I don't think any damage was done. Now here's where it gets interesting: When I started the car up the next morning, at first I got some water shooting out the exhaust pipes and a large amount of condensation, but after that all I got was a nicer, deeper, and more exotic noise than normal!

My car has the stock exhaust, so i don't know what's up. Is it the way the sound waves bounce off the water in the muffler or what? Has this happened (or has anyone I guess tried this) and had good sound results? Thanks.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Water in the exhaust has zero effect on the exhaust. The catalytic converters convert carbon dioxide gas into water vapor. The system is designed to deal with condensed water vapor. The change in tone is either in your mind, or a result of a cold start.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135forthewin View Post
So I have a little story to tell, which then leads to quite an odd question. I was washing my car and my younger brother was outside with me. I walk inside to get a drink, and when I get back out he's spraying the hose down the exhaust pipes!

The good thing is the car was cold, so I don't think any damage was done. Now here's where it gets interesting: When I started the car up the next morning, at first I got some water shooting out the exhaust pipes and a large amount of condensation, but after that all I got was a nicer, deeper, and more exotic noise than normal!

My car has the stock exhaust, so i don't know what's up. Is it the way the sound waves bounce off the water in the muffler or what? Has this happened (or has anyone I guess tried this) and had good sound results? Thanks.
I was washing my car with my 4 year old son in the middle of the summer, and I took my eye off of him for a minute. I asked him, "Anthony, what are you doing?" He replies, "I'm rinsing the holes..."

Needless to say he filled my exhaust up... When I started her up the was a huge splash... No harm done, she runs hard and smooth as day one...
      09-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Rinsing the holes FTMFW haha.
      09-14-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
BerkTechnology
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Fast

Shouldn't do any harm. If there was a sound change then he may have "squished" the fiberglass packing down and somewhat "hollowed out" the muffler. But hey, it sounds better!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
Eazy-e
Dope-like a pound or a key
Rep
Drives: 09 e82 135i

hahaha Ive done that before when I was 5-7
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:15 PM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkTechnology View Post
Shouldn't do any harm. If there was a sound change then he may have "squished" the fiberglass packing down and somewhat "hollowed out" the muffler. But hey, it sounds better!

That or it's just soaking wet and will return to normal when it dries out.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Im curious, what was your brothers explination for doing that?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #9
mad chemist
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
Water in the exhaust has zero effect on the exhaust. The catalytic converters convert carbon dioxide gas into water vapor. The system is designed to deal with condensed water vapor. The change in tone is either in your mind, or a result of a cold start.

I like the sound of this.

So if I squirt molten lead up my car's exhaust pipe, will it turn into gold??
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #10
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance28 View Post
Rinsing the holes FTMFW haha.
My first reaction was

When my engine fired up and the exhaust blew like a fire hose

The reaction of most when I tell them this story (Knowing I'm a crazy car guy) is usually