BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Audio system backgrounder doc for comment

I'd appreciate any comments on this document. It's not a DIY or a suggested upgrade, but it is intended to answer the common questions about "What's in my audio system?"

Look forward to hearing from ya,,

VPE
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1-series Audio Background 1.0.pdf (18.1 KB, 655 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
fll_punk
It Feels like Summer in October
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mini

very good and clear.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Yes, a very clear understanding of what comes(audio wise) on our cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
steve_setzer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Good doc. I might suggest that since the doc would be used as a jumping off point for upgrading that some key upgrade paths be pointed out. Specifically, steps that would need to be taken for each system in general if someone wanted to add aftermarket equipment.

I know you were looking to avoid prescribing upgrades, but in particular for the stereo base system that almost certainly must be done to even begin an upgrade project like:
  • How to recode the headunit to Hi-Fi or make use of MOST network
  • Part numbers and other specifics for front tweeter pods
  • Potential options to install aftermarket equipment without cutting wires and trim etc.

Maybe with some expansion the doc would become a primer for upgrading these stereos in addition to the great baseline information it already contains.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
fll_punk
It Feels like Summer in October
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mini

would an option be a wiki styled page with edits peer reviews? that way it could grow without you having to be the the writer of all content?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

I'm keeping the prescriptive apart from the descriptive.

I have very firm opinions on what works and what doesn't work - and others don't always agree with me. There are many upgrade paths. That's fine - but I don't want to mix those opinions with my as-objective-as-possible description of what the factory system is.

I will be creating a different document for recommended upgrades.

As a vendor, now, on E90Post (most of my 1,500 posts were well before I was a vendor there and I know that 1addicts DOESN'T show me as a vendor, even though I'm authorized here too) I feel that it's important to insulate the info I furnish from my recommendations. Otherwise, people might think the info is intended to sell them something, and that's not my intent.

As far as the wiki goes, I'm not sold on the wiki concept yet, in that the qualified contributors don't seem to have much motive to contribute. We are going to convert OEinterface.com from a forum to a wiki, and we will see how it goes, but I know that there have been 20 people pulling info off of OEinterface.com for every person who's posted at all (and so far only one person other than myself has posted any data at all).
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 01:20 PM   #7
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

VPE,

I think it is GREAT. I have no plans to modify my system at the moment but I like understanding what I have and what would be required to change it. I also agree, it is best to separate the description from the recommendations for changes. Multiple documents is one way, multiple sections would be another - but I can see why you might prefer multiple documents.

My only criticism of this document is the top level system description seems to be a bit truncated. It is shorter than the others. I don't have that system and the people that do may not want to make changes, however. It would be interesting to know a bit more about the equilization, like the number of adjustments, whether there are effects like "concert" or "dance" pre-programmed, for instance.

The power level of each of the systems might be useful to add - if it has remained about constant. Even if it need to be "about" or a range it would be interesting to include.

Jim
      07-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
Mister Cool
Rep
Drives: 1er

Hi,

you wrote:

The Stereo system consists of:
- Underseat 6” cone speakers with 8” frames, inverted-mounted in 8” enclosures

I believe that the latest cars (at least in Germany) are delivered with one 6" speaker only

Furher on it would be interesting to show:
- which has AUX IN / USB
- which output power:
Type: Stereo - HiFi - Top-HiFi
Output: 4*15W (4Ω) - 2*40W (2Ω) Bass + 4*25W (2Ω) - 2*70W (4Ω) Bass + 7*40W (2Ω)
Chasis: 100 mm/Philips - 100 mm (Medium+High)/HarmanBecker - 100 mm (Medium+High)/HarmanBecker
Bass: 160 mm/Philips - 217 mm/Harman/Becker - 217 mm/Harman/Becker

Last edited by Mister Cool; 07-15-2010 at 09:45 AM..
Appreciate 0