BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #67
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan '11 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipped B6 View Post
I cannot wait til one gets some procede software, catless downpipes and a meth kit.

400whp and handles better than an M3?

Holy crap i can't wait.
I bought an E93 M3 just so I won't get embarrassed by my son in his 1M when he gets it. :P
I don't think one can say it handles better than an M3. This is 1 test on one day. What I've read so far the M3 is still superior to this car as a stock machine. And one can't compare once modified. "what if" should be left out because "what if M3" had turbos or supercharger or run flats or x or y or z.

Again bottom line is these are 2 super awesome cars!!! I like em both. I can afford any car I want and am super happy with my 11 M3...
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #68
conneem-TT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi TT TFSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by clived View Post
I've got to 100% disagree about that.

I test drove a C63AMG, fully expecting to love it and order one. I was massively massively dissapointed. I currently have a 135i, and compared even to that (let alone the 1M) the handling is wallowy, lane changes dull-witted - all that weight up front.

The C63's engine is a massive 5kg heavier than the N54 and it has a 1% worse f/r weight distribution compared to the 135i also
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #69
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post
I don't think one can say it handles better than an M3. This is 1 test on one day. What I've read so far the M3 is still superior to this car as a stock machine. And one can't compare once modified. "what if" should be left out because "what if M3" had turbos or supercharger or run flats or x or y or z.

Again bottom line is these are 2 super awesome cars!!! I like em both. I can afford any car I want and am super happy with my 11 M3...

I have driven the 1M and the E9x M3 on the street, and on a track. Not the same streets and not the same track of course, but enough to get a decent feel for each. So... I CAN and DO say that the 1M handles better than the E9x M3. Anyone saying otherwise needs to put their thinking cap ON.

Consider the following variables

same suspension componentry
same differential
same wheel and tire combo
less weight in the 1M
shorter wheel base in the 1M.

I've never known increased weight or a longer wheelbase to contribute to better handling, unless discussing tow vehicles.
So tell me why you would think the M3 handles better?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #70
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by conneem-TT View Post
The C63's engine is a massive 5kg heavier than the N54 and it has a 1% worse f/r weight distribution compared to the 135i also
The new 5.5 V8 is only 2kg heavier than the M3 V8 but much more powerful (up to 571bhp with the performance pack). I really wanted to see it in the new C63 coupe!
      04-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #71
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauldramos View Post

I have driven the 1M and the E9x M3 on the street, and on a track. Not the same streets and not the same track of course, but enough to get a decent feel for each. So... I CAN and DO say that the 1M handles better than the E9x M3. Anyone saying otherwise needs to put their thinking cap ON.

same differential
less weight in the 1M

I've never known increased weight or a longer wheelbase to contribute to better handling, unless discussing tow vehicles.

Last edited by superchargedman; 04-24-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #72
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

M3 adjuster I appreciate the opinion of someone who has driven both cars. Thank you! I'd assume you are not biased. So, if I'm following you, your claim is based on the go-kart theory where the small wheel base, etc just sticks to the ground... I get that!

As for the sarcastic rhetoric from some on these threads, I'm not appreciating it. If you notice I'm one of the only willing to put my real name as my handle.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #73
l888apex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: #30/740 BSM 1M

lol I see my post was deleted. it was just a joke...you guys are way too uptight. obviously it was not aimed at anyone specific but I have seen a lot of M3 users on this forum saying things of that nature on every thread praising the 1er and it's getting a bit old. everyone should buy and drive the car that makes them happy and I am just looking forward to getting mine in the next few weeks so there can be topics of discussion besides mag reviews.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #74
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l888apex View Post
lol I see my post was deleted. it was just a joke...you guys are way too uptight. obviously it was not aimed at anyone specific but I have seen a lot of M3 users on this forum saying things of that nature on every thread praising the 1er and it's getting a bit old. everyone should buy and drive the car that makes them happy and I am just looking forward to getting mine in the next few weeks so there can be topics of discussion besides mag reviews.
Buy the car that makes them happy! Very well said. Thanks for that!!! Agreed! Besides most of us on this forum love our BMW cars and share that appreciation respectfully.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #75
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

[QUOTE= I can afford any car I want and am super happy with my 11 M3...[/QUOTE]

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #76
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Great result for the 1M.

However, one must use caution when comparing two non back-to-back tests on a track. Different driver, different state of break in (drive train and tires) and different environmental conditions all can add up to WAY WAY more than 1 second per minute, let along 1/10th second. I strongly suspect that in a purely apples to apples comparison, even on this track that due to its nearly equivalent handling and significantly better power to weight ratio the M3 would post a better time.

And although I am sure some 1M fan boys will simply call me an insecure M3 owner, rest assured, I would come to this same conclusion regardless of what I drive. Rational enthusiasts will all share the same point of view. Environmental conditions could swing power at least 5% either way for either car!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #77
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

I have said it manny times the 3 series is to big and to heavy to begin with as a sporty car basis.

new M5 is a 7 series M
M3 is a 5 series M

1M is the new 3 series M.

It s just a different number but it s all about the size.

I have had a E90 M3 also but now a 1M coupe on order. The looks and size of that car is the best. I don t need a bigger fun car. Just lighter
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:27 PM   #78
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Great result for the 1M.

However, one must use caution when comparing two non back-to-back tests on a track. Different driver, different state of break in (drive train and tires) and different environmental conditions all can add up to WAY WAY more than 1 second per minute, let along 1/10th second. I strongly suspect that in a purely apples to apples comparison, even on this track that due to its nearly equivalent handling and significantly better power to weight ratio the M3 would post a better time.

And although I am sure some 1M fan boys will simply call me an insecure M3 owner, rest assured, I would come to this same conclusion regardless of what I drive. Rational enthusiasts will all share the same point of view. Environmental conditions could swing power at least 5% either way for either car!
I totally agree with you, but the fact that the 1M can even put a time up in the ballpark of the M3 is impressive.

For those that feel they might be able to afford the 1M but not the M3, this is an exciting result (but of course there is much more to learn from reviews and test driving).
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #79
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

same differential
less weight in the 1M

I've been saying this for so long and can't believe how many people are thick-headed when it comes to the simple laws of physics. If anything, I'm surprised the M3 can keep up.

And to the comments about the C63, sure it's a bit softer and duller in its responses than the M3 but that engine more than makes up for it my brother is trying to find a used C63 now and we've driven a couple of them so I can say from experience that it is truly awe-inspiring. I can not wait for him to get it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #80
hajohehe
Private
Rep
Drives:

Lol numerous M3 tests and only one 1 series M test beats M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 10:46 PM   #81
Pauldramos
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajohehe View Post
Lol numerous M3 tests and only one 1 series M test beats M3.
Actually, the only other recorded lap time, which was on the Nürburgring; the 1m is 7 seconds slower than the M3.

See here - http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464652
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #82
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

1M is on par with the M3, not really beat with .1 of a second ahead, on manual gear box is really something to be said. Light weight has always been the key to success. Just look at that scoreboard, Porsche Cayman holds 3 of the top 5 position and the rest are lightest of BMW M division.

Last edited by Robert; 04-25-2011 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #83
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Here is a scan of the article...

Name:  SCAN0091.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  105.2 KB

Name:  SCAN0092.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  97.4 KBName:  SCAN0094.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  SCAN0095.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  117.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:08 AM   #84
Advevo
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, E30 M3 DTM

Just for the record.

M3 GTS on semi slicks does 1.12.5 on hockenheim short

Imagine this put a good coiloverset and some semi slicks on the 1M and 2 Recaro race seat to get 50kg weight out also.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #85
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
Just for the record.

M3 GTS on semi slicks does 1.12.5 on hockenheim short

Imagine this put a good coiloverset and some semi slicks on the 1M and 2 Recaro race seat to get 50kg weight out also.

Need to say no more!

Btw you would'nt be interested to give some driving instructions once the 1M's
are delivered? If so thanks in advance (alvast bedankt).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #86
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

A very interesting statement from this article (if someone has a better translation, please reply):

"Although this same biturbo motor resides in the Z4 35i, it doesn't have nearly the same effectiveness."
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:51 AM   #87
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

What they mean is that this engine appears way more powerful in the 1M than in the Z4 35iS, and they assume it's due to the lower weight.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:52 AM   #88
Madozu
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M / M3 E36 3.2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///1M View Post
A very interesting statement from this article (if someone has a better translation, please reply):

"Although this same biturbo motor resides in the Z4 35i, it doesn't have nearly the same effectiveness."
Although it's the same engine, it has different piston rings, different exhaust and different engine mapping ... and the Z4 is heavier.
Appreciate 0