BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #45
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco135 View Post
With all of this talk about those bolts (which hope you get them), then what is the proper procedure to replace the brake pads? The procedure on the DIY point to remove those bolts for caliper removal.
If you look at the picture in the first post by the OP, bolt marked #2 are the ones to be removed..

theses two bolts IIRC are 17mm( dont hold me to that) and screw in from behind the spindle, thru the caliper bracket.

it takes a little to get to them, they are hard to see and re align when putting back together. you also have to wrestle more with the caliper / pads when getting it together.

the hex bolts we are looking for are just plain easier / simplier / faster / cleaner to get to .
      02-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #46
Joaco135
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
If you look at the picture in the first post by the OP, bolt marked #2 are the ones to be removed..

theses two bolts IIRC are 17mm( dont hold me to that) and screw in from behind the spindle, thru the caliper bracket.

it takes a little to get to them, they are hard to see and re align when putting back together. you also have to wrestle more with the caliper / pads when getting it together.

the hex bolts we are looking for are just plain easier / simplier / faster / cleaner to get to .
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #47
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

well guys... it looks like we are on to plan "D" ill pull the bolt off of my car tomorrow and measure it up, if i cant find a source in my backyard, ill give the dimensions to eric and have his source get them..

Just a thunbs up for Eric at Supreme Power from this thread http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651911
where i saw similar bolts to the ones we require. He really went above and beyond get the answers..

Below is the info that i got from Eric.

Sent you some info regarding this…..Brembo says its not the same bolt unfortunately

We have a great bolt place that has a lot of high grade bolts we can help check once you get the dimensions…

Best regards,
Eric Nareshni
SUPREMEPOWER
1025-B Ortega Way Placentia, CA 92870
ExperiencePerformance
Tel: 714-632-1951 ext 225 | Fax: 714 632 9249 | Mobile: 714-981-4223

Email: eric@supremepower.com | AIM: ericatspp | MSN:

THIS IS THE QUOTE FROM BREMBO DIRECT TO ERIC (BELOW)

The bolts, springs, pad pins, bridge pipe, etc, used on the OEM calipers are different than the parts and components used in the aftermarket calipers.

The bolts used in our GT kits are designed specifically to mount the Bracket to the caliper.

The bolts your customer needs are going to be specific to that caliper

any thoughts??
      02-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #48
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

This is what i got out of one of the bolts on my car.

all dimmensions in mm.. line drawing not to scale ( but close LOL )

There is a washer that is captive to the un threaded shoulder of the Bolt. it is 2mm thick and 21.4 mm wide with at least an 11mm hole

The bolt appears to be Zinc plated ??? I am not sure, but it does not appear to Rust and is silver / grey in color.

See picture below.. I tried looking locally MSC, McMaster, Grainger but i could not fine one that was available on line with all the necessary artributes. I did fine one un plated though with no captured washer.

I will forward to Eric at SupremePower as he said he might be able to still help.

for those hunting, let us know if you find something..

when looking you are looking for a bolt 70-75 mm long ( length from under the head to the end of thread) if you go 80mm you may hit the backing plate on the top bolt

p.s. under a magnifying glass, my bolt shows no signs of streatch / wear/ crack etc .. It has been off and on at least 6 or 7 times, hot, cold, at the track and in the shop.
Attached Images

Last edited by DriveHard; 02-25-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #49
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Freaky bolt size, I hate when companies do that.

12 x 1.50 is uncommon to start with, McMaster (what I was suggesting) has *almost* everything in the world but not this. Hex head 8.8 yes, but that's all (and as you probably know metric 8.8 < "grade 8").

Fastenal does have some 12 x 1.50, but not that long. Jeez!

Can't tell the grade on these but at least the size is right. It's a start? http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/M12-x-1...-A2_ARD47.aspx

Lame.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #50
BMWbab1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Might have found a place that has these bolts!!

Ok, lets not get too excited yet, lol. But i might have found a place that has these bolts. I called boltdepot.com were I usually can find odd fasteners. They said they did not carry the metric fine thread in this specific bolt but are almost certain Maryland Metrics (mdmetrics.com) or Metric Screw and Tool Co. (metricscrew-toolco.com) would have them. They said they would almost 100% have the bolt we are looking for but it might not have the washer on it which doesn't really matter as you can just add one that is slightly bigger than the threads. I am not knowledgeable enough about the exact bolt size. Drivehard you seem to be very knowledgeable about sizing up a bolt. Could you check them out and give them a call? We all would greatly appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #51
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbab1 View Post
Ok, lets not get too excited yet, lol. But i might have found a place that has these bolts. I called boltdepot.com were I usually can find odd fasteners. They said they did not carry the metric fine thread in this specific bolt but are almost certain Maryland Metrics (mdmetrics.com) or Metric Screw and Tool Co. (metricscrew-toolco.com) would have them. They said they would almost 100% have the bolt we are looking for but it might not have the washer on it which doesn't really matter as you can just add one that is slightly bigger than the threads. I am not knowledgeable enough about the exact bolt size. Drivehard you seem to be very knowledgeable about sizing up a bolt. Could you check them out and give them a call? We all would greatly appreciate your help!
I will look .. thanks for the heads up..
      03-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #52
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Any updates to this?
      03-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #53
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
Any updates to this?
actually yes and no.

about a good 2hours of searching didnt turn up the exact match we need.

i did send the info over to eric.. he sent back this reply ..........

Will go to the bolt shop tomorrow for u….keep ur fingers crossed. I have 2 great sources actually…

Best regards,

Eric Nareshni

SUPREMEPOWER
ExperiencePerformance

and also this.....................................

Will get u some details tomorrow. Im always here to help u guys J

Best regards,

Eric Nareshni
SUPREMEPOWER
ExperiencePerformance
      03-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #54
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Who would have thought that a bolt that was produced in fairly high quantities is so hard to track down
      03-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #55
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
you know the only logical explanation is that brembo has many of these calipers sitting around in their warehouses so they must be thinking this a good way to getting rid of them.
      03-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #56
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had no idea this thread was going to get so much positive attention. Was expecting a WTF douche, you're doing it wrong ( which I did obviously) but glad if it can at least help someone out..
      03-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #57
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Im amazed myself..

questions.. how do the masses feel about a stainless bolt ???

also

Brembo had to get it from somewhere..LOL they are not in the business on making there own.. Im sure given enough time we will track it down..

so, after all of this, are we all scared to use those bolts to replace pads??????
      03-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #58
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Alex,
what other choice do we have? still not sure about the other method. I don't understand how the other method will get you to the pads! other words, how do you extract the pads without removing the caliper? I guess stainless is better than nothing
      03-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #59
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Don't give up hope guys. Next week on Monday, I will go an check on a huge fastener place over here.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #60
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm still not changing the way i change my pads...just being more careful torquing things down. I'm perfectly fine with stainless. Almost prefer it since it doesn't corrode as easily.
      03-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #61
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I just got this back from Brembo:

Chris,

Thanks for contacting Race Technologies through the Brembo website. The products that are designed for the OE market and for your BMW are unique to those cars. We don’t have access to their parts or specs so I’m very limited in what information I can help you with. For example, we would need to know what size, thread pitch, hardness, material and finish was used on the OE vehicle.

That information may be stamped on the original bolts that you have. Using that information and a thread pitch gauge, you should be able to source bolts from any large bolt supplier like McMaster-Carr.

Jerry Buza
Account Manager
Race Technologies, LLC
Brembo U.S. Commercial Partner
      03-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #62
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

And another fast response after I sent him the link to this post:

Chris,

I looked at some of the descriptions and the closest I can find is the bolt and washer we use on many of our GT kits.

Kit/Package: 105573271
BOLT (SHCS, M12X1.5X72MM) & Washer (12mm Small OD Flat)

Cost is $5.00 ea.

I can’t guarantee that they would be correct . Most of our caliper bolts are 12.9 hardness and black anodized cap head bolts, but this one doesn’t state what it is.
      03-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #63
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Seems to be your bolt. Nice find.

In theory there will be marks on the head of the bolt to tell you the grade...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #64
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm going to order a set to test fit. Let see if we get lucky.
      03-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #65
yandy
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 MR "Civic" ///M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm going to order a set to test fit. Let see if we get lucky.

nice find man, hopefully this is some luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
Im amazed myself..

questions.. how do the masses feel about a stainless bolt ???

also

Brembo had to get it from somewhere..LOL they are not in the business on making there own.. Im sure given enough time we will track it down..

so, after all of this, are we all scared to use those bolts to replace pads??????
I don't see anything wrong with stainless, and I'll continue doing it the same way, just pay attention to my torque settings next time..
      03-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #66
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep

Quote:
And another fast response after I sent him the link to this post:

Chris,

I looked at some of the descriptions and the closest I can find is the bolt and washer we use on many of our GT kits.

Kit/Package: 105573271
BOLT (SHCS, M12X1.5X72MM) & Washer (12mm Small OD Flat)

Cost is $5.00 ea.

I can’t guarantee that they would be correct . Most of our caliper bolts are 12.9 hardness and black anodized cap head bolts, but this one doesn’t state what it is.
you the man !!!!

from what i can see those would be Puuuuuuuurrrrrrrfect !!!

The black anodize is better looking than the zinc grey stuff anyway.

ours are marked 10.9 OEM (so 12.9 will be fine BTW, actually a little freakin overkill)

for $20.00 for 4 its a steal...

what a freakin hooptie ride to get 4 bolts ... jeeeze

ok take one for the team and order them and post it up.

thanks!!!

and No, I wont change the way i do brakes either.. i just got so good at it this way, its mear minutes ( once car is up )

edit... if you google that new part number, click images, you see my little drawing from the previous post....... IM FAMOUS LOL

Last edited by DriveHard; 03-02-2012 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0