BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #23
macoutu
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I'm not sure about the US but up here in Montreal they are relatively easy to find in tire shops. Dunno, maybe cause we're a northern country lol.

Here's mine, 205's all around.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff dude View Post
I'm not sure about the US but up here in Montreal they are relatively easy to find in tire shops. Dunno, maybe cause we're a northern country lol.

Here's mine, 205's all around.
nice! they look hardcore. digging the shiny black wheels too.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #25
macoutu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
Thanks, getting them on next week, it's starting to get slippery on cold mornings. Honestly, i thought the OEM all season run flats would grip a bit more than that in the cold... Traction control is kicking in more and more this week!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #26
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff dude
Quote:
Thanks, getting them on next week, it's starting to get slippery on cold mornings. Honestly, i thought the OEM all season run flats would grip a bit more than that in the cold... Traction control is kicking in more and more this week!
you have OEM all seasons? not summer tires?

yeah once temps get under 40....non winter tires just get hard like plastic! ha
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #27
macoutu
Private
Rep

Yes the car is delivered with Goodyear Eagle LS2 run flats. They call them Luxury Sport all season tires... They are useless once the temps hit 30's, never mind snow!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #28
angler
love to fish!
Rep
Drives: 13: SG 135i M-Sport Cabrio 6mt

I made the mistake of buying 205/50/17 nokian r2 this year. Put them on about a week ago and they were two skinny for the car. My car was all over the road with them. Traction control was going on every time I went moderatley into a turn, also the back end was very squirrelly. Not sure why BMW would recommend 205's for a 135. Luckily my wife needed new snows for her mini so I put them on her car. Much better match. Went out and got the x-ice in a 225/45/17, much better on the road. Anyone out there considering the 205 tire size for a 135 should reconsider IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #29
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by angler
I made the mistake of buying 205/50/17 nokian r2 this year. Put them on about a week ago and they were two skinny for the car. My car was all over the road with them. Traction control was going on every time I went moderatley into a turn, also the back end was very squirrelly. Not sure why BMW would recommend 205's for a 135. Luckily my wife needed new snows for her mini so I put them on her car. Much better match. Went out and got the x-ice in a 225/45/17, much better on the road. Anyone out there considering the 205 tire size for a 135 should reconsider IMO.
yeah 205s would be great bit I've read a few stories like yours saying 205 is just too thin to control the 135s power....I think 225s seem like a decent compromise! glad you were able to use the 205s for the Mini though....so it worked out in the end!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
I made the mistake of buying 205/50/17 nokian r2 this year. Put them on about a week ago and they were two skinny for the car. My car was all over the road with them. Traction control was going on every time I went moderatley into a turn, also the back end was very squirrelly. Not sure why BMW would recommend 205's for a 135.
205 is their recommendation primarily for snow conditions rather than general winter conditions.

The trouble is BMW dealers will just go with this recommendation rather than using that alien to modern life thing called common sense and advise to suit what the conditions in their general location would warrant

Here in the UK and in the south where we probably get no more than a few days snow per winter at best and yet the local BMW dealers will still advise the factory winter sizes of the 205 tyre.....'cos that's what the book says.
      11-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #31
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Yes the car is delivered with Goodyear Eagle LS2 run flats. They call them Luxury Sport all season tires... They are useless once the temps hit 30's, never mind snow!
Is this on a 128 or 135? I thought the only all season tire that was offered in the stock 135 sizes is the Mich A/S 3?

Reason I ask is because I am going to get a set of all seasons as an intermediate tire, and thought the Mich was the only option.

Edit: Nevermind, just looked at your list of cars, saw the 128.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 11-09-2013 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
205 is their recommendation primarily for snow conditions rather than general winter conditions.

The trouble is BMW dealers will just go with this recommendation rather than using that alien to modern life thing called common sense and advise to suit what the conditions in their general location would warrant

Here in the UK and in the south where we probably get no more than a few days snow per winter at best and yet the local BMW dealers will still advise the factory winter sizes of the 205 tyre.....'cos that's what the book says.
I'm not sure why BMW doesn't offer a more reasonable winter tire option for those of us who don't need a hardcore studless ice & snow tire. I asked my dealer to propose a package that included performance winter tires. They got back to me a week later with a ridiculous quote based on full retail pricing for each individual part number and said the only way to get 'package pricing' was to stick with the single winter package offered.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #33
macoutu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
I made the mistake of buying 205/50/17 nokian r2 this year.
Yes i agree that 225 makes more sense for a 135i. I don't have 300 lb of torque to deal with so i expect smooth sailing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #34
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

^ This Nokian article refers to the rating standard to earn the snowflake within the mountain.
"In order to meet this standard, tires must be tested using an American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) testing procedure described in “RMA Definition for Passenger and Light Truck Tires for use in Severe Snow Conditions”. Tires designed for use in severe snow conditions are recognized by manufacturers to attain a traction index equal to or greater than 110 compared to the ASTM E-1136 Standard Reference Test Tire when using the ASTM F-1805 snow traction test with equivalent percentage loads."
http://www.snowtyres.com.au/severe-service-emblem

Seems like a lot of Nokian users here. Thus, I will ask did anyone note any problems ( transfer case, driveline shunt issues, balanced) associated with these non BMW approved tires? Also, kindly state whether your experience is with RF or Non-RFT. I had 3 sets of the WR2 ( year round use) on non-BMW's, excellent for my location not too much snow. Looking to buy another set. I concur for lots of snow, going skiing, lots of winter driving then R2, is best option over WRA2/3.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #35
angler
love to fish!
Rep

BMW approved tires is crap. What's that supposed to mean? All other tires not approved shouldn't be used? Are we going to break our cars if we use other tires? I laugh every time I come across this.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #36
macoutu
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
^ Thus, I will ask did anyone note any problems ( transfer case, driveline shunt issues, balanced) associated with these non BMW approved tires? Also, kindly state whether your experience is with RF or Non-RFT. I had 3 sets of the WR2 ( year round use) on non-BMW's, excellent for my location not too much snow.
I've run Hakka 7's run flat on the X1 last winter, which included city driving with a few longer distance highway trips. I did not notice any issues whatsoever. Handling was good, and tires would loose grip in a predictable manner when pushed too hard.

I think the approved tire approach is just a product development thing. It allows BMW to have tires made specifically to meet their specs and test out their ideas on RFT (i.e. H2 hump or whatever they call it) and in return the tire manufacturer gets some guaranteed business. It's a win-win for them. Sometimes this will translate to nice product evolution for the consumer and sometimes it will just translate to overpriced pieces of crap like the Eagle LS2 on my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 04:47 AM   #37
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
I've run Hakka 7's run flat on the X1 last winter, which included city driving with a few longer distance highway trips. I did not notice any issues whatsoever. Handling was good, and tires would loose grip in a predictable manner when pushed too hard.

I think the approved tire approach is just a product development thing. It allows BMW to have tires made specifically to meet their specs and test out their ideas on RFT (i.e. H2 hump or whatever they call it) and in return the tire manufacturer gets some guaranteed business. It's a win-win for them. Sometimes this will translate to nice product evolution for the consumer and sometimes it will just translate to overpriced pieces of crap like the Eagle LS2 on my car.
Thanks spiff dude. Your comments are valid and appreciated.
My question was to learn more as others have experienced issues, not Nokian specific.
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898235

I will probably go with WRA rather than a dedicated Hakka as we are not mandated and the weather is milder with less snow than La Belle Province.

Nokian are not OEM tires, hence their profit margins are higher.
Naturally Nokian endorses BMW as per their website:

Does Nokian offer Run Flat winter tires?
"We do offer Run Flat winter tires and Run Flat summer tires. We have one of the most in depth winter tire run flat offerings which makes us a popular brand of choice for BMW owners"
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #38
JB007
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW135i MSport 6 Speed

Today was my first drive with my winter wheel setup:
BMW Style 141 wheels (17 x 7, offset 47)
Nokian akkapelitta R2 RFT in square setup 205/50/17
Cold air pressures: 36psi front, and 39psi rear.

Morning temperature was -5 degree C.
First drive impressions: It feels as if the car sits on four Marshmallows! Since I bought the RFT version, I was expecting a stiffer ride. But it is really soft. I doubt its the sidewall. I think the soft thread is causing this effect.
Changing lanes on the highway needs a bit of a "get used to".

No issues with traction, drives OK on mild accelerations (I went easy since I know I can light them up quite easily with 300hp).

I need to tweek the air pressure. Not convinced I got it right for those tires.

Now the wait for the good stuff, snow, freezing rain, -30C weather, etc.
Will provide feedback after some real life experience in those conditions.
2013 BMW 135i MSport Edition, Alpine White, 6 speed manual, Coral Red leather, Sound Package, Premium Package, Alarm, BMW Perf black kidneys, Tint (20%rear, 50% sides), XPel Ultimate full front end and side skirts, H8 PIAA Plasma Ion yellow bulbs
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #39
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB007

First drive impressions: It feels as if the car sits on four Marshmallows! Since I bought the RFT version, I was expecting a stiffer ride. But it is really soft. I doubt its the sidewall. I think the soft thread is causing this effect.

No issues with traction, drives OK on mild accelerations (I went easy since I know I can light them up quite easily with 300hp).

haha....I didn't get the runflats but the regular ones are soft for sure!! that being said.....I thought it drove great so far....will have to drive it much more to see how it really feels. I drove very 'gently' as well this far.

photo:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #40
kafou
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB007 View Post

That's my feeling too, I put 4 Hakka 7 studded. Of course they will be the best on real winter weather but for now on dry road I lost a bit of my pleasure to drive that car For now I have 32/35 tire pressure, maybe I can try something else...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #41
macoutu
Private
Rep

Woke up to jammed windows this morning. Tis the season to break out the Gummi Pflege

My snows are getting put on the car Thursday and i will report back on first impression at a that time.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #42
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
well initial impressions after 2 days----i really dig the tires. they are a bit 'soft', but coming from runflat summers, that is expected.

i have no idea how any of you can run 205s.....because honestly i think even the 225s are testing the limits of handling the power back there. i've activated the traction control light a few times already....once on the freeway while accelerating through a turn in the dry! I really think if you can change your order do so......a 205 should be a no-no with the 135. On a 128 they will be fine.

other than that, cornering is good! comfort is good.....they are not very loud....but the main reason i got these are for the Winter. so roll on winter!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #43
macoutu
Private
Rep

Got the Hakka R2 205 installed today. It always amazes me how soft the rubber is on these things.

On the 128 you can get them to break loose on the dry but it takes a deliberate action on the throttle, or taking corners as if you had your summers on.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #44
angler
love to fish!
Rep

Quote:
well initial impressions after 2 days----i really dig the tires. they are a bit 'soft', but coming from runflat summers, that is expected.

i have no idea how any of you can run 205s.....because honestly i think even the 225s are testing the limits of handling the power back there. i've activated the traction control light a few times already....once on the freeway while accelerating through a turn in the dry! I really think if you can change your order do so......a 205 should be a no-no with the 135. On a 128 they will be fine.

other than that, cornering is good! comfort is good.....they are not very loud....but the main reason i got these are for the Winter. so roll on winter!
+1, 205's to skinny. I was activating traction light all the time.
Appreciate 0