BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #67
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwal View Post
Here is a link the the pictures again. Finally got an engine bay shot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HFoJ9joJDijFHATD8
It's a diamond in the rough, but $12,995.00 is too rough.
      12-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #68
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat View Post
Quote:
Here is a link the the pictures again. Finally got an engine bay shot: https://photos.app.goo.gl/HFoJ9joJDijFHATD8
It's a diamond in the rough, but $12,995.00 is too rough.
I totally agree, but it's only about 10k after dealer fees and stuff. The Facebook ad is 13k but the dealer ad is 9k.
Not sure how it compares to the newly posted one owner car in CT.
      12-18-2020, 08:27 PM   #69
Suprgnat
Слава Украине!
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LMB 6MT ZMP Slicktop

Garage List
2013 128i  [9.58]
Quote:
I totally agree, but it's only about 10k after dealer fees and stuff. The Facebook ad is 13k but the dealer ad is 9k.
Not sure how it compares to the newly posted one owner car in CT.
$10k all in I'd consider.
      12-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #70
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Wow, thanks 413, that car at Bach is a pretty good spec too! And one owner is really nice.

I'm not sure if it is an auto or not. I don't understand that about the VIN decoders, as they say auto, but there is not option shown below for an auto trans, and the pictures on bimmer.work show a manual.

Anyone understand this mystery?
Is manual and not auto. PM me with your contact and I’ll sent you all the info and photos I got.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #71
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Got pictures and a video of the car in CT. One owner, with a minor accident in the rear about 6 years ago.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZaTnvZow3Q55srN46
      12-19-2020, 10:28 AM   #72
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Got pictures and a video of the car in CT. One owner, with a minor accident in the rear about 6 years ago.

Got the same photos too, I’m going pass on it due to the accident and no xenon headlamps.

Planning on getting it?

Last edited by 415; 12-19-2020 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 10:54 AM   #73
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415 View Post
no xenon headlamps
I was glad to have these when I got my 135i, I figured it would be cool to have HID's for the first time ever and as I get older it's incrementally harder to see at night.

However, for someone either younger or potentially wanting to swap headlights out someday for a cooler looking set, the non-Xenons are much less expensive to do that on. Not to mention easier to repair when needed (no HID ballast, etc.)

Just putting it out there for consideration.

Also - they might be swappable. Not sure. It would have to be looked into. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a crap ton of work though but maybe if one is bored they could do a little research to see. New lights are $$$'s but used lights not as much.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 11:40 AM   #74
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

Quote:

There's plenty of rust on the rear subframe, and not just surface rust but flakey rust. Those shocks also look awful.
Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
Jwal16.50
      12-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #75
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Hey guys, yeah I saw the rust too. It's only natural as it's a totally northern car. Rust is a big issue for me, as I've worked on many rusty cars in my life. Makes every job an absolutely arduous and unpredictable task. Might go ok and just take twice as long, might require getting in new parts, bolts, blow torch, hacksaw, etc. That with the distance, leatherette interior, and halogens makes it a pass for me.
From everything I've read, swapping in stock US xenons and getting full functionality is still not possible. Best I've seen are retrofit to halogen housings, aftermarket hids (ugh), or euro spec lights which are not bi-xenon, auto leveling, or swivel.
Anyone else know something I don't about putting xenons in a halogen car? A big issue for me and my current car is the visibility at night. Becomes a safety issue and I would rather not deal with bad lights for another 10 years.
      12-19-2020, 12:24 PM   #76
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Anyone have opinions on the JC Auto car after seeing the engine bay? The intake looks pretty crappy and I don't see any sealing or heat shielding elements. Also can see some non-oem hose clamps, which sucks.
I tried to upload the picture, but I am not sure how to do it correctly.

Last edited by Jwal; 12-19-2020 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: Tried to upload a picture
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #77
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

It's unusually filthy, but I don't see any giant red flags other than the obvious intake. Why is the washer fluid filler neck green???

You should count on replacing most of the issue-prone areas...OFHG, serpentine belt + tensioner, valve cover gasket, ESS, and probably ignition coils + plugs, oil pan gasket, selector rod seal, and water pump + thermostat. The engine itself is pretty stout. If you take care of those things, you'd probably have little trouble for another 100k miles. For the love of all that's good about E82s, pressure wash that engine bay!
Attached Images

Official BMWP Whore - BMWP suspension kit w/ M3 arms, BMWP big brake kit, BMWP intake w/Mishimoto tube, BMWP exhaust, BMWP carbon strut brace, BMWP short shifter, and BMWP carbon spoiler. OZ Leggera HLT w/ 245 square setup.

Appreciate 1
Jwal16.50
      12-19-2020, 03:10 PM   #78
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
Why is the washer fluid filler neck green???
They're fairly see-through, mine looks blue when I refill the fluid.

That said, I don't see green fluid available often (ever, that I can remember) but wouldn't be surprised if it's available in that color. I've seen blue, pink, orange...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 03:30 PM   #79
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Agreed Thunder. I plan on doing all that maintenance, and performing inspection on all those parts when I see the car. I have used green washer fluid before. It's just a different formula than the standard blue.
Biggest concern I have is the intake and hose clamps on the power steering lines. I'll have to check for leaks, look at the fluid, and make sure everything is there. On the passenger side of the bay there is a big open area, but I don't really know what goes there. Based on photos online, that area houses some emissions equipment for the 135, but some 128s had a coolant hose routed there. Not sure why some cars have that and some done.
Also curious how I should check the oil. No dipstick, and my friend with a 335i said oil fills the OFH if you take the cap off without draining the oil. I just want to see what color it is and if it looks decent.
      12-19-2020, 06:22 PM   #80
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
Agreed Thunder. I plan on doing all that maintenance, and performing inspection on all those parts when I see the car. I have used green washer fluid before. It's just a different formula than the standard blue.
Biggest concern I have is the intake and hose clamps on the power steering lines. I'll have to check for leaks, look at the fluid, and make sure everything is there. On the passenger side of the bay there is a big open area, but I don't really know what goes there. Based on photos online, that area houses some emissions equipment for the 135, but some 128s had a coolant hose routed there. Not sure why some cars have that and some done.
Also curious how I should check the oil. No dipstick, and my friend with a 335i said oil fills the OFH if you take the cap off without draining the oil. I just want to see what color it is and if it looks decent.
Just replace the entire steering fluid reservoir and flush the system. That's a pretty common maintenance item on the E82 and easy to do. That's a shitty intake. You can probably find a used one pretty easily or get the Euro intake. There aren't any missing items that I can see other than the intake parts. The empty space is used for an oil cooler and the emissions you mentioned, but not on that car. Almost everyone laments the lack of a damn dipstick. This is one more reason why. I don't know how you would get a sample from the oil pan.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 07:18 PM   #81
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah, that makes sense. Reservoirs aren't that expensive, and they house the non-replaceable filter too. I'll get new hose clamps or use some of the ones I've kept over the years.
Yeah, pretty sure the belly pan will keep me out haha. I would like to crack something loose and just let out a bit of oil to see how it looks.
      12-20-2020, 09:26 AM   #82
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Unscrewing the oil fill cap could get you close. if the engine was recently running and of course turned off a the time, you might get an idea. Not as good as a few ounces sampled but an idea.

If you make it down there for a test drive I wonder about taking it to the nearby dealer for an inspection. It'd be hard to believe they won't let you do that. Even so what if you said you'd be right back w/ the car and then just did it anyhow? I don't see them calling the cops...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 01:59 PM   #83
anthony76
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i sport-smushed WTB another

Jwal - Good luck with this car. I am looking forward to seeing updates once you pick it up. I myself just found a Sport package 128i this weekend. Picking it up Tuesday!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=276092722
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #84
Thunderguts
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony76 View Post
Jwal - Good luck with this car. I am looking forward to seeing updates once you pick it up. I myself just found a Sport package 128i this weekend. Picking it up Tuesday!

Wow, that looks freakishly nice for the mileage.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #85
$iriu$black
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony76 View Post

Nice find. This is just two towns over where I usually am for work. Hopefully that seller is a good one. Quite pricey though for a car w 111K mi. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #86
Jwal
Private
United_States
Rep

I saw that red car, but it's a bit far for me and not as much my taste. Looks great though!
I'm headed down the Florida now and will be at the dealership before they open tomorrow. I've got the picture of the original ad from the Toyota dealership with the $6,477 price as well as a voicemail from them stating that it did not pass their safety inspection. Going to perform my own inspection, brought a scan tool, and use everything I can to haggle on the price.
Not sure how effective all of that will be, but I also plan on taking pictures during my inspection and posting them here before finalizing my decision. Any last minute advice?
      12-20-2020, 08:16 PM   #87
anthony76
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by $iriu$black View Post
Nice find. This is just two towns over where I usually am for work. Hopefully that seller is a good one. Quite pricey though for a car w 111K mi. Enjoy!
Yes i agree the price was a bit high. but it is a rare color combo (i know not the best looking combo, but different for sure) I am having a hard time finding one so i just went for it. He worked with me a bit on the price so im ok with it. My mazdaspeed will be up on Cars and Bids beginning the 28th! Check it out!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 08:17 PM   #88
anthony76
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I saw that red car, but it's a bit far for me and not as much my taste. Looks great though!
I'm headed down the Florida now and will be at the dealership before they open tomorrow. I've got the picture of the original ad from the Toyota dealership with the $6,477 price as well as a voicemail from them stating that it did not pass their safety inspection. Going to perform my own inspection, brought a scan tool, and use everything I can to haggle on the price.
Not sure how effective all of that will be, but I also plan on taking pictures during my inspection and posting them here before finalizing my decision. Any last minute advice?
Good Luck! look for leaky oil pan, leaky valve cover gasket, oil filter housing. the usual. I am still learning new stuff as I go as well. This is a new Platform for me!
Appreciate 0