BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Which tune has proven to be best for N54 cars so far?

I have been reading this forum for a while now, red a lot of great things about JB tunes, Cobb and little about Procede...
Which tune is the best in terms of better performance, least issues, no excess heat, no damage and good customer service?
I want to be able to turn the tune off when I take the car to the dealer and I want to be able to have a catless exhaust and still be able to get the car inspected.
Thank you for your participation.
      06-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #2
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

The most controversial question on these forums, LOL

Depends what you are looking for. There are a bunch of threads on the e90 section of this board. All of the ones you've mentioned have there +s and -s.

COBB will likley be easiest to install/de-install becasue you do it all from the driver's seat, but I don't think the COBB alone supports any sort of o2 modifier functionality to prevent CELs with catless DPs. It also doens't have maps released yet to optimize bolt ons yet...

Proceed's CANClear keeps o2 codes clear and also provides an o2 modifier function as well so you can run CEL free and have CANClear disabled if you want. Lots of features with the V5, beyond just the tune. You can read about these on the e90 site as well. As a piggyback, you obviously have to commit to getting in/out of the ECU compartment for install/deinstall but its really not that bad to do. Lots of continuous development going on at Vishnu, free map/firmware updates, and great support.

Others options to consider as well. There is a bunch of data to be had on all of these options and lots of opinions too. In the end you really just need to decide whats important for you and do the research to understand what each option will provide for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinoBoom View Post
I have been reading this forum for a while now, red a lot of great things about JB tunes, Cobb and little about Procede...
Which tune is the best in terms of better performance, least issues, no excess heat, no damage and good customer service?
I want to be able to turn the tune off when I take the car to the dealer and I want to be able to have a catless exhaust and still be able to get the car inspected.
Thank you for your participation.
I would most definitely recommend for you to check out the COBB AccessPORT. The Cobb AccessPORT ECU Flash simply replaces conservative factory settings with more aggressive calibrations that result in impressive gains in torque and horsepower while still maintaining a high degree of safety for your N54 engine. The tuning is extremely flexible and allows you to choose on the fly one of the performance maps that are loaded onto the AccessPORT.Typical performance gains from the Cobb AccessPORT are increases of 30% peak horsepower and an amazing 38% increase in peak torque. This tune is an ECU flash, not a piggy-back tuner, there will be no added devices to your vehicle's ECU.

You will get a whole lot more functionality and accessibility with the COBB AP. You do get free software and map updates for life that be downloaded straight from the COBB AP Manager software. You will never be charged a penny more when an update is released!!! Not to mention that the COBB AP does allow for you to do live data logging, trouble shoot and scan codes, and of course switch maps on the fly as well! Installation is simple and it literally takes 10 minutes to download your stock map to the COBB AP and 8-10 minutes to flash your car to the stage 1 map. You can also export your stock map on your computer to back it up just in case you do ever lose your COBB AP Hand held unit. You can also export all of your data logs to your PC as well. The COBB AccessPORT Stage 2 Flash is due to be completed by the end of summer time. These maps will most definitely have the 02 sim aka DP fix to eliminate a CEL from increased emissions on a catless setup. I've tried nearly all the tunes that you've mentioned on my 335i and the COBB is the only one that has truly put a smile on my face!
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Definitely a question that can get personal and turn into a flame war (especially on E90post). The real answer depends on what you want... everyone will vouch for the tune that they're running. When running a tuned car you WILL get better performance, you will generate alot more heat, and you may run into issues as the greater power will expose components that may be on the fringe but not stressed on the factory tune (in most cases people quickly realize that their HPFP is failing after a tune). All three of the big players here have proven long-term reliability and great customer service.

That said, I vote for the Cobb tune. Easiest install/uninstall, updatable for life, flash-based tune, handheld diagnostic and data logging/monitoring features.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
onefast1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I got my 1er back in December and have been reading these threads like crazy since then... I had the same questions, and considered all of the tune options. For me it boiled down to the cobb, I literally just ordered it and got it in last Friday. The power gains are amazing, 3rd gear is ridiculous! I have a maintenance appointment with my dealer in 3 weeks so I'm curious to see how it goes (should be a breeze according to other cobb users on here). Another deciding factor for me was the updates and multiple maps that cobb will continue to release. Think about it, cobb has only been playing in the BMW space for roughly half a year, they are just getting started. I can't wait for further refinements and stage 2.

Yes it's more expensive but I say it's worth it. Several vendors sell Cobb and all of them are probably willing to work with you on price. I did however get mine from Mod Bargains and was very happy with the service/quick delivery.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

GIAC

Nobody really talks about them anymore...I wonder why

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
GIAC

Nobody really talks about them anymore...I wonder why

Yes, I was just gonna say what about GIAC! I think IF I was in the states I would be driving around with a GIAC tune. But I am happy with my MS Tuning flash. Just the other day I surprised a Carrera-S driver as we raced from 100kph to 270ish on the Autobahn. And... I was ahead!

For me, the best tune is one that simply works and needs NO fiddling around with! Just have the car flashed and DRIVE it. No engine check lights/no codes thrown, no limp modes and no running problems.

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 06-17-2011 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Love my Dinan S2
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 11:41 AM   #9
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
the way i see it is.... cobb is a really good boost with stockers. procede and jb are almost the same. i love the torque that the procede produces, jb is more of a sudden spike. giac is pretty slow....
      06-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #10
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp XDrive

Garage List
Very debatable, but I have cobb and I'll rep it pretty hard. The accessport is sweet, datalogs are easy, clears codes, tune is great, install is a joke. Like mentioned before it won't get rid of the CEL for dps, yet. Only stage 1 available right now, but stage 2 and stage 2+ should be here soon. Also, once they release ATR it will be on another level. GIAC is a great tune but not very convenient, as you need to take your car in to have the ecu flashed. Evolve and eurocharged have some decent options as well, along with the other obvious choices in the procede and jb4, which are much further along in development right now. Best thing to do is do your research and decide what your goals are and what tune will best suit your needs because it is going to be different for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
COBB +1
      06-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

I'm still not a fan of tunes that only trick the ecu into creating more boost.

My friend said it best today

"Burger's jack pad failed me and broke my side skirt, I'm not trusting his piggyback on my engine. And shiv, c'mon, he's named after an improvised prison weapon"

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
If you're going to stay relatively stock..possibly Cobb; people seem to be pretty happy with it based on my experiences.

If you're going meth or more all out, you'll probably want to check out Procede since it has very dynamic integration with meth and they also sell a great meth kit. Also they have maps for upgraded turbos and/or nitrous i believe
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 01:32 PM   #14
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
Also there is ESS to consider. From what I've heard they can do a custom tune with your specific requirements. This sounded really appealing to me since I would like my additional boost to come in later in the power range than sooner. 1st gear in stock tune is almost unusable as it is so I would like to see my boost higher in the rev range. Have to make a decision soon between Cobb & ESS
      06-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
If you're going to stay relatively stock..possibly Cobb; people seem to be pretty happy with it based on my experiences.

If you're going meth or more all out, you'll probably want to check out Procede since it has very dynamic integration with meth and they also sell a great meth kit. Also they have maps for upgraded turbos and/or nitrous i believe
What is your idea of "relatively stock"? I will never use meth as there is no need for it to use the full potential of this car.
I will be doing a full catless exhaust and catless DP's. I will install an aftermarket FMIC, not sure about air intake as most of them (at least the open ones) raise the air temp instead of lowering it. A Charge Pipe possibly. So to me this should put a good 360+ HP at the rear wheels which is more than enough for the 135 before you have to go into serious suspension modification to improve the poor traction and other issues the car has (I plan to go full coilovers on this setup and sway bar along with some bushings and control arms).
So is Cobb good enough for my "simple modification plan"?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

From what I am reading here, Cobb seems to be the top choice to a lot of you. I talked to a reputable vendor today and asked some questions about Cobb's tune and they informed me that it was very "stout" and awaiting stage 2 which should resolve some concerns for those who went "catless" on their set up and other things.
I do like the idea of easy install and removal of the software as BMW Service departments are not as "friendly" like GM or ford ones when I could walk in with a crap load of mods and they still honored the warranty (one of the biggest reasons why i miss my Vette )

I do want to thank everyone of you for your positive and great feedback.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #17
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
I'm still not a fan of tunes that only trick the ecu into creating more boost.

My friend said it best today

"Burger's jack pad failed me and broke my side skirt, I'm not trusting his piggyback on my engine. And shiv, c'mon, he's named after an improvised prison weapon"
Your friend must be pretty ignorant of world religions. Shiv - short for Shiva, a Hindu deity.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Your friend must be pretty ignorant of world religions. Shiv - short for Shiva, a Hindu deity.

You are way too serious

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #19
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
Your friend must be pretty ignorant of world religions. Shiv - short for Shiva, a Hindu deity

BrokenVert

You are way too serious
Come on guys, let's all keep to topic. In all honesty no need for any derogatory comments of any sort, Kamal, I would not know the indu religion particulars either just an FYI and I studied several in the course of going to two international colleges...

Thank you both
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
igzekyativ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
COBB FTW! Have it on my 135i and had it on my WRX.. COBB is awesome! It displays tons of live data and has the ability to log this data..
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #21
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
wait till you all see the stage 2 dyno charts

this engine, and even the stock turbos, are beast with a good tune!
      06-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I'm very happy with my JB4.
Appreciate 0