BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #45
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdboy View Post
Dinan is a little high in price...
Dinan is expensive because of the warranty. Most people don't care about the warranty, but I am lazy, so I like how easy it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
You need to have the flash installed by a Dinan BMW dealer and you can only have service done at a dinan BMW dealer (such as habberstad BMW on Long Island)
I get service on my Dinan 135i at the Dinan BMW dealer that installed the flash and at a non-Dinan BMW dealer that is ten miles closer (and gives me better loaner cars). So I only take my car to the Dinan BMW dealer if the Dinan code might need to be reflashed.

The non-Dinan dealer doesn't care at all. If BMW refuses to pay for this or that, Dinan will pay for it
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #46
1-2MANY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I used to have a JB3 and don't get me wrong, it was great, but decided to give Cobb a try due to the convenience. It's just too easy lol. I also love how it has built in live data logging, code clearing, and all free tunes they will release in the future. The performance isn't quite up to JB3 yet, but stage 2 should take care of it. Oh, and depending on the vendor you buy it from, you may be surprised at how much cheaper off the retail you can get it for.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 01:49 AM   #47
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

GIAC with switch and Love it !!!
      06-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #48
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamal View Post
JB4 + USB cable + BT tool (so you can tune, log, read/clear codes), and you're at or below the price point for the Cobb AP sold through a vendor like Sal@AutoCouture. Add to that the convenience of not having to mess with the ECU, running a USB cable through the firewall, keeping a laptop in the ride to datalog... made the choice incredibly easy for me.
The JB4 is $479 and includes code reading/deleting and adaption resets all built in for free. No need for a BT cable. It also displays boost, timing, IAT, EGT, AFR, water temp, etc, right in the dash real time. So no need for a laptop. If you do decide to get the $30 cable for laptop logging and firmware updates you just leave that in the engine bay and run it in the door jamb when you want to do a firmware update. No extra install/removal time.

Cobb is a great option as well but there are many factors to consider. I noticed you have downpipes. Unless you want to stare at a check engine light all the time you need to get a $80 BMS downpipe fix in to the DME box anyway. The JB4 has that all built in for free. The JB4 also gives you custom mapping ability for free out of the box using that $30 cable for those who choose to do it. Not to mention excellent methanol integration, race gas maps ready to go, absolute targeting, autotuning, etc.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:19 AM   #49
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Who is BrenTuning? I never have heard of them before. More info please.

And as for that video comparing a Cobb with a JB3... I don't think that is fair to compare a stage-1 tune(Cobb) against a JB3 tune(stage II). Just saying...
He's actually a close friend and has been tuning cars in the New England area for years. He connected with Jeremy from OE Tuning and they've been working together ever since.

His tunes are incredible! Check out my other friend's e92 M3...411whp!
HERE: (take out the spaces below)
bim mer bo ost.co m/ show t hr e ad.p hp?12208-New-N-A-E92-M3-record

www.brentuning.com/about.html
      06-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #50
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_m View Post
I just picked up my 135i with a Dinan S3 tune and it's AMAZING! So smooth, ridiculous torque, and keeps the warranty in tact!
Yes...yes, I know and very nice. Did you already have a 135 before you bought Jim's?
      06-20-2011, 07:30 AM   #51
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Cobb seems to be a really easy to use tune, however even when stg 2 comes out, it wont compare to the JB4. The JB4 is a power house of performance and rock solid reliability (having been selling performance tunes for the N54 since 2007).

If you plan to stay near stock, cobb is probably the way to go, but if you decide to mod, even when stg 2 cobb comes out, it wont match the abilities of JB4 like meth integration. When you flash tune the stock ecu, you are still limited to stock ecu logic and abilities. Piggybacks are able to bring extra's like meth integration.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #52
Juicehead
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
...When you flash tune the stock ecu, you are still limited to stock ecu logic and abilities. Piggybacks are able to bring extra's like meth integration.
Please give me more examples of other limitations with the flash tunes...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #53
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicehead View Post
Please give me more examples of other limitations with the flash tunes...
They are engineered from the ground up and control the intake and exhaust cams, boost settings, throttle inputs and everything that the engine does without tricking the computer into thinking that it's suffering from a low boost scenario...

They are the proper way to make power through a computer, but they cost a bit more and people don't want to wait 4 days or drive for 30 minutes to have their ecu flashed.

It amazes me how people on this forum have no idea what real engine tuning is. go swap cams and driveshafts, forge the internals, bore and stroke your engine (granted that's a difficult proposition on an N54 due to cylinder spacing) but get some headers, or add some ITBs.

Actually change your engine. People just want to spend $600 now to get big power. And I for one think that's wrong.

It can't be turbo culture...all of this still exists in STi and Evo communities. So is it just that BMW owners are lazy people who don't understand how to jack up their car? And want such instant gratification that they cant be concerned with properly executing power gains?

/old man rant

Also an ecu is a computer. You can program a compute to do what you want it to do, you can program an ecu for meth integration.

/old man sassy response

Last edited by BrokenVert; 06-20-2011 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #54
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

+1
I agree 100%, this engines potential is yet to even be tapped into. So far the only thing 95% of people are doing is tunes and piping(me included).
Also, a flash can run meth integration, all it needs is a couple bits of additional hardware. Meth is just basically a pump, all you need is a switch to send voltage to the pump when certain conditions are met. You'll want a means to insure that meth is actually being injected and failsafe if its not.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #55
RnmEvo9
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

A flash is better than a piggyback no doubt, but at the time being the jb4 suits my needs with my modifications. Until Cobb comes out with stage 2, I'll be sticking with my handy jb4.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #56
KinoBoom
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

These conversations are getting more interesting. I think the more we dig the more information we are finding out.
So far I have learned a few new things but I have to agree with some of you here...
Unless you crack open that engine you are limited to the few hp's a tune can give you. I come from American Muscle methodology and to generate real power you build up your engine. We have an extra leg to stand on with the 135i or the N55/N54 engines: TURBO's so we can generate more power by generating more boost, a great way to make power from recycled gases... more and more automakers are going the turbo route these days because it is cheaper and more effective in the long run.
If I end up keeping my 135i I might go to building the engine route, bigger turbos, better cooling (FMIC and Oil) and better tubing (full exhaust) I seen some cars putting down close to 800-1000 HP to the rear wheels with such set ups, then you ask yourself a very important question: How will I go about improving the handling on my 1er to make it take on such power and keep it to the ground?
Ok, enough said on my end, I am going to look at some motorcycles today (R1 and 1198s)
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #57
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

(Off topic) 1198 ftw
(On topic) if I was you id check out e90post and look into unfor's build. As far as I know, he's pushed the N54 platform farther than anyone else.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #58
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The JB4 is $479 and includes code reading/deleting and adaption resets all built in for free. No need for a BT cable. It also displays boost, timing, IAT, EGT, AFR, water temp, etc, right in the dash real time. So no need for a laptop. If you do decide to get the $30 cable for laptop logging and firmware updates you just leave that in the engine bay and run it in the door jamb when you want to do a firmware update. No extra install/removal time.

Cobb is a great option as well but there are many factors to consider. I noticed you have downpipes. Unless you want to stare at a check engine light all the time you need to get a $80 BMS downpipe fix in to the DME box anyway. The JB4 has that all built in for free. The JB4 also gives you custom mapping ability for free out of the box using that $30 cable for those who choose to do it. Not to mention excellent methanol integration, race gas maps ready to go, absolute targeting, autotuning, etc.

Mike
I stand corrected on a number of points (pricing, reading/deleting codes).

I'm ok with the CEL light, stage 2 maps should take care of that. Cobb's relatively new to the N54/55 world so it's only a matter of time until there's a plethora of maps to choose from (including meth maps, race gas maps, etc.).

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #59
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:

I'm ok with the CEL light, stage 2 maps should take care of that. Cobb's relatively new to the N54/55 world so it's only a matter of time until there's a plethora of maps to choose from (including meth maps, race gas maps, etc.).
I agree with that. The Cobb option is only going to get better. But the JB4 is not standing still either. They recently added "MaxCool", "CANFlap", and some other nifty features. You access it all via the steering wheel controls on the fly.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #60
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
i love competition, it makes all parties involved think more and come out with better stuff!
      06-20-2011, 12:49 PM   #61
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampton View Post
i love competition, it makes all parties involved think more and come out with better stuff!
+1, you can definitely do some nifty things with the JB4!

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #62
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp XDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Not to mention once ATR comes out you can get a pro tune on a dyno customized to your particular car and mods. And for what its worth I've had catlesss dps on my car with cobb stage 1 for three months and 3k miles now and have yet to throw a code.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #63
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Actually change your engine. People just want to spend $600 now to get big power. And I for one think that's wrong.

It can't be turbo culture...all of this still exists in STi and Evo communities. So is it just that BMW owners are lazy people who don't understand how to jack up their car? And want such instant gratification that they cant be concerned with properly executing power gains?
Nothing wrong with wanting big power for $600 if the drivetrain has that much headroom.

Subaru/Mitsu tuning is much more mature. There are so many excellent tuning tools to choose from and a huge base of tuners out there with experience tuning the engines. Most of those cars require injectors, fuel pumps, turbos, and MAF upgrades to push too much more power. These factors become a real pain and add up quickly. They're hard to tune for in pre-fab tunes, and once you add up so many mods then every car ends up being a bit different. The N54 just has a ton of headroom bone stock and there are less worries about dozens of different injectors and MAF/intake systems that people could have. The fact that the N54 is speed density is quite a boon, also.

For every Subaru/Mitsu owner who understands he needs injectors, fuel pump, turbo, downpipe, catback, etc. to hit 400hp, there is an ARMY of owners who immediately slap a blow off valve and an intake on their car with no tuning, then complain that it runs poorly. They just don't survive on the forums as long after the ridicule...
Quote:
Also an ecu is a computer. You can program a compute to do what you want it to do, you can program an ecu for meth integration.
Yeah, you could program a look up table to drive a PWM output for something like meth, but if you don't have a pin to drive it won't do you much good. One of the limits of an ECU flash in that regard is they aren't going to have extra input and output pins just sitting there waiting to be programmed. You may have to take some other feature away to do it. It could also be extremely hard to figure out how to schedule your code in a reverse-engineered code base. This is hard work, and good luck getting Dinan, GIAC, or Cobb to give you a raw ROM file so you can disassemble it yourself, or good luck convincing them to produce feature X that you want. It's very hard work... It took many, many years for Cobb to finally spit out end user self-tuning and things like flatfoot shifting and launch control, and all of that was timed after OpenECU started to poach their business as engineers started programming these features in themselves and the tools quickly caught up with or surpassed what Cobb offered.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:26 PM   #64
uberschnell
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Wide Body 1

I loved the very refined smoothness of my GIAC tune.

Unfortunately when I sold my 335 I had to kiss away my $600.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 05:46 AM   #65
808_m
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinoBoom View Post
Do you care to share the following please:

1- Gain in HP
2- Gain in torque
3- Did you have other mods done besides the tune (like an oil cooler, exhaust...)
4- Cost of tune

Thank you
Sorry, forgot about this thread... I honestly don't know the difference between (dyno #'s) stock and the Dinan stage 3. I do have the oil cooler, intercooler, CAI, exhaust. I got lucky and picked this car up from a guy that had great taste in parts. I can say though the cost is $$$. The tune alone is $2200 and the parts add up to ~$7600...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
Yes...yes, I know and very nice. Did you already have a 135 before you bought Jim's?
This is my first 135i. My previous cars were track a dedicated S2000 and EvoX. The S2000 was no doubt faster on the track, but this is much more refined.

Back on topic, if I hadn't picked this car up "as is", I probably would have picked up the Dinan tune anyway. As I intend to track the car, peak power is fine for everyday, occasionally "spirited" driving, but I think there's an additional level of comfort for the "conservative" Dinan tune while still making power. Having not experienced the competition, I can't and won't say anything bad about their tunes, but do like the added Dinan background and experience. Kind of like preferring a babysitter who's been in the business for a long time and with lots of references. It doesn't mean they're better than all the rest, just an additional level of comfort.

S2000 --> Evo X --> 135i
|| Brembo GT BBK F/R || Dinan intercooler || Dinan Oil Cooler || Dinan exhaust || Dinan stage 3 ECU || Quaife LSD|| Bilstein PSS10||H&R Sways F/R || Vorshlag camber plates || E92 M3 control arm upgrade ||

Last edited by 808_m; 07-01-2011 at 03:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 07:14 AM   #66
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_m View Post
As I intend to track the car, peak power is fine for everyday, occasionally "spirited" driving, but I think there's an additional level of comfort for the "conservative" Dinan tune while still making power.
I have Dinan stage 2 tune plus CAI plus muffler, plus cp-e FMIC/OC (also a Wavetrac LSD), and I mix in 1/3 - 1/2 race gas for track. My instructors are amazed how fast my car is. So I'm content and not interested in higher boost or running any hotter.

edit: removed irrelevant comment

Last edited by GaryS; 07-01-2011 at 07:19 AM..
Appreciate 0