BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-05-2014, 03:49 PM   #1
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Route line masks traffic info on Navigation display -- upgrade possible?

We just purchased a 2015 X1 with nav and it reminded me of a very specific nav issue that I've been meaning to figure out on my 2013 128i. It’s somewhat difficult to describe, but I’ll do my best:

I’ve spent the time to learn the nav system in my 128i, I use it frequently, and I’ve only run across one annoyance that I can’t resolve. By default, I display the traffic flow information on the nav map at most times because I find to be helpful when selecting freeway routes, etc. Visually, the traffic flow info is overlaid on the road and most of the time it displays fine because I don’t have route guidance enabled (i.e. not needed when driving to/from work, etc.)

Unfortunately, when route guidance is enabled, the bright white line which visually represents the route on the map masks the traffic information along my route because it is also overlaid on top of the road, hence on top of the traffic information (i.e. the route becomes the top visual layer). On some BMWs, including our 2015 X1, I’ve noticed that the traffic information is displayed slightly differently such that route guidance line is overlaid on the road and the traffic flow information is displayed immediately to the left and right of the road, hence no visual conflict. This is a huge improvement.

I believe that the nav system in the X1 and my 128i represent the same generation hardware, but my nav software is dated 2013 and the X1 has 2014 software. Can the software on my 128i be upgraded to address this issue? any other suggested fix?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #2
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

No ideas yet from the board. How about we start with the 2nd part of the question:

Can nav in my 128i be upgraded from the North America Premium 2013-1A to anything newer?

Has anyone upgraded to a newer version than I have or did your car come with a newer version thank mine? My production date was around February 2013, so maybe the later 2013s/early 2014s had a newer revision.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

You can upgrade the maps. My 2009 has 2014 maps. It seems to me that I can see the traffic with a route displayed.
      12-10-2014, 01:53 AM   #4
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the response. A couple follow-up questions:

1) Any chance you can take a screen shot of your nav screen when there's traffic in your area? I'd love to see if it looks like the traffic info in our X1 (2014 maps) which would indicate that the map upgrade most likely improved the traffic info display.

2) How did you upgrade your nav software? Dealer? DIY? 3rd party?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

I'll see if I can take a screen shot.

I did the map upgrade myself, and bought the new maps from Baccus, who posts in this forum. It was a simple process, although I did have to also buy a 32GB Flash drive to hold the maps while they were being installed in the car.
      12-16-2014, 10:19 PM   #6
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Thanks again, man. If you don't mind saying, how much was the upgrade? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:42 PM   #7
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

Finally had some traffic with the Nav going. You can see traffic on both sides of the freeway, and the white route line showing. Not the best picture, but it gets the point across.
Attached Images

12-31-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Thanks again, man.

It looks like I forgot to post an important detail in my original description of the issue: I almost always leave my nav system in the "traffic conditions/grey map" mode where traffic shows as colored lines along the freeways. Because the underlying map is all flat grey in that mode, traffic issues really stand out visually as bright colored lines (yellow, orange and red in order of severity).

I switched my nav system to the traffic arrows mode like the picture you provided and, while I find that mode less visually useful, the arrows do show up on the sides of the roads like our picture displays.

My last favor request: when you have time, I'd really appreciate it if you would be willing to switch your nav display to the traffic conditions mode and let me know (or take a quick shot) if the traffic lines show up alongside the road. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #9
cpt97m3
AutoXer
Rep

I've been running in grey map mode for a while. Finally got into some traffic today, and then a yellow line appeared for the traffic. So different than the triangles, but I do see the white route line, and the yellow line for traffic. I hope this helps.
Attached Images

01-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #10
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep

Thanks again. After some more tinkering with my car, I think I may have figured out the issue and it may or may not be related to the version of maps I'm running.

Over time, I've noticed that the traffic flow lines frequently show on opposite sides of the road/route when I'm driving on straight roads. But as the roads get curvy, the traffic flow lines can't seem to maintain their shape in relation to the road, so they effectively blend in with the road/route lines, hence the masking effect. If I zoom in quite a bit, the traffic flow lines seem to follow the outsides of the road better even when the road curves, but when I zoom out a bit to see traffic for the local area (i.e. to pick a route that best avoids traffic and keep tabs on it), the traffic display lines are less accurate for lack of a better word.

You can see a small indication of the what I've noticed in your last photo -- notice how the yellow traffic line doesn't exactly follow the kink in the road. You were fairly zoomed in when you took the picture, but I imagine the accuracy would be lessened in the same situation had you zoomed out a few clicks.

It seems the graphical rendering of the traffic display lines is simply not as accurate as it needs to always maintain proper perspective when zoomed out. I still might update the maps at some point (I believe the 2015 maps are available or will be soon), but I won't necessarily expect that update to address what I'm experiencing. It's not a huge deal, but it is annoying when I'm trying to rely on the map for traffic-based route guidance.

In any event, thanks again for all your help. Case closed, I think!

Last edited by simianspeedster; 01-16-2015 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0