BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
Sasha4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 1 Series Sport

Going for custom COBB tune

So this weekend my wife's 135i will become a tire scorcher. Plans are to have the final mod completed and then give it a run on the rollers. I have no base line runs but Im sure this will be part of the plan.

The shop (Kozmic Motorsports) has a great rep for tuning DSMs/ Subis/ GTRs (they are working on my GTR next) but hasn't had the chance to get into the BMW world. When I approached them, they were eager and ordered the COBB Pro tune as they already have it for the others. They have both skilled BMW mechanics and tuners that have made some incredible builds. Best part is, "Heidi" (wife's name for her patent leather wearing Dominatrix of a BMW) will end up being their poster child for the new venture. Could make a FB appearance

So we just added the intercooler this week which is why the map is still Stage 1 and not +

Current list of mods
  • aFe dual cone intake with outwears
  • Corsa axle back exhaust
  • COBB tuner (currently Stage 1 aggressive)
  • Wagner Evo 1 Stepped intercooler
  • COBB Charge Pipe
  • Turbosmart plumb back diverter valves (stealth)
  • BMS Catch Can
  • 18" OZ Ultraleggera wrapped in MPSS
  • Stop Tech slotted brakes w/ street pads
  • Turner MS SS Brake lines
  • Cusco Strut Bar
  • BMW Performance suspension (dealer installed)

To be installed this week
  • COBB catted Down Pipes (wanted CP-e non-catted but wife doesnt like the fumes)

Details will be after the weekend but Im very excited to see the results. Shop has a heartbreaker so it will lower numbers than some expect from a Dynajet but its just a tool/ measuring stick. Expecting the delta to be about 120 hp/ tq over stock. I guess Ill have to see if he can pull anything like a stock with the mods currently on

Old picture with different tires

My beast

Last edited by Sasha4; 05-26-2015 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Sound like a fun weekend! What shop are you using?
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

I'll bite - what is that cover in the intake filter?

Nice VR38.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:14 AM   #4
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Im pretty sure its a sock that prevents a traditional CAI from sucking up water and getting hydrolocked. But clearly that's not the intent here.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
Sasha4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135TX View Post
Sound like a fun weekend! What shop are you using?
Kozmic Motorsports. The Bimmer is greatly outnumbered by about 20 EVOs and Subis in various stages of builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I'll bite - what is that cover in the intake filter?

Nice VR38.
Quote:
Im pretty sure its a sock that prevents a traditional CAI from sucking up water and getting hydrolocked. But clearly that's not the intent here.
Yup- its typically used for preventing hydrolock but in this case its excellent in preventing a ton of large particles- (dust/ pollen) from getting into the filter. Houston is always under construction and that meant cleaning those filters almost monthly. Now once every 6 months and even then they dont look dirty. Used pretty heavily in the GTR community due to the issue with getting to the filters (read- PITA) so these cut down number of cleanings needed and at most may lose a single horsepower

Also helps when washing the engine bay by preventing water from getting into the filters. No more bagging them like I used to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 12:01 PM   #6
Sasha4
Private
Rep

Couldnt believe the DPs were ordered yesterday and came in this morning!

They are like works of art!

Love the welds and casting. This is why Im doing AMS on my GTR- excellent build quality
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I like the finish quality on that DP
Im not entirely sure i understood what you said last though about doing AMS on your GTR. The downpipe you got is the Cobb one not AMS.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Sasha4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I like the finish quality on that DP
Im not entirely sure i understood what you said last though about doing AMS on your GTR. The downpipe you got is the Cobb one not AMS.
Sorry for the confusion. Like Cobb- AMS uses cast ends but on both sides with a larger core (3.5") on the GTR. Just comparing the two in that they chose to cast the ends closest to the turbos. Better quality that way. Seen a few of the non-cast DPs in the GTR world crack.

The only issue I have with these DPs is you don't get to admire the work when they are installed
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cruiser View Post
Sorry for the confusion. Like Cobb- AMS uses cast ends but on both sides with a larger core (3.5") on the GTR. Just comparing the two in that they chose to cast the ends closest to the turbos. Better quality that way. Seen a few of the non-cast DPs in the GTR world crack.

The only issue I have with these DPs is you don't get to admire the work when they are installed
now i get it, for a second i thought Cobb and AMS are one company now.
I felt the same when i got an intercooler for my car, it was just so nice that i wanted to keep it where i can see it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Sasha4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
now i get it, for a second i thought Cobb and AMS are one company now.
I felt the same when i got an intercooler for my car, it was just so nice that i wanted to keep it where i can see it

Yup. My new ETS intercooler for the GTR and the Wagner in the 135i get no love for visibility

At least we know they rock and keep the temps down when crushing others dreams
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #11
Griffster
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Be interesting to see the dyno before and after custom tune. My car was night and day between a Cobb OTS tune and a PTF tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #12
Sasha4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffster View Post
Be interesting to see the dyno before and after custom tune. My car was night and day between a Cobb OTS tune and a PTF tune.
That is what Im hoping for. I hope to have your response.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #13
EM58NDS 135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 M135i

You can expect an extra 20-25hp with a protune over an OTS map, maybe more depending on mods. It should also get up to boost alot smoother.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #14
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Hey I'm lazy where can I buy a sock for my DCI? OP your GTR...... I want it
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
iconone
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 207 swapped Wrx

I hear a lot about kozmic from the Subaru guys here in Houston. I'm looking to get a pro tune for my fbo 135i real soon. Interested to see how yours turns out.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #16
n54door
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09' 135i 6AT FBO - MHD Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM58NDS 135i View Post
You can expect an extra 20-25hp with a protune over an OTS map, maybe more depending on mods. It should also get up to boost alot smoother.
Not with Cobb tuning it, unfortunately. They are VERY conservative. From what I've seen and from my own experience, they only get about 5-7% over their OTS maps.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 11:25 PM   #17
Sasha4
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM58NDS 135i View Post
Smoother would be great and 25 Hp would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie1 View Post
Hey I'm lazy where can I buy a sock for my DCI? OP your GTR...... I want it
Amazon.com is your friend. You need to know your filter size and then look it up under "Pre filter". Outerwears, Injen and aFe all make them- I got the Injen's since they were half the price of the aFe brand and identical except for the logo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconone View Post
I hear a lot about kozmic from the Subaru guys here in Houston. I'm looking to get a pro tune for my fbo 135i real soon. Interested to see how yours turns out.
I pick it up on Tuesday and will let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54door View Post
Not with Cobb tuning it, unfortunately. They are VERY conservative. From what I've seen and from my own experience, they only get about 5-7% over their OTS maps.
7% over Cobb would be around 25 Hp
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #18
Sasha4
Private
Rep

Got the 135i back today which was great considering all the flooding thats been happening here in Houston and Texas in general.

Factory DP's were removed and new ones installed. They stated they were a tight fit but perfect.

I knew the numbers wouldn't be super high considering the Mustang Dyno and finding out that Kosmic's consistently hits 16% under Cobbs- I was quite happy with the outcome.Some people are all about the numbers so Im comparing know differences between Cobb's tunes (OTS) and the known differences between their mustang and Kosmic's mustang (-16% - verified by 3 cars dynoed at Plano, TX at Cobb and then on the same day- Dynoed at Kosmic)

OTS map from Cobb- 343 Hp/ 370 Tq

Custom tune- 348 Hp/ 383 Tq

With the correction factor in (adding the 16%)- this would dyno at Cobb at 404 Hp/444 Tq

Thats considerably higher than the base map shown for a Stage 2+ and Ive still got factory mid pipes with cats.

Kosmic is looking into performing the walnut shell blasting as Cobb stated that on my car- it would have net another 10 Hp/ Tq.

How it feels-

Very composed at idle. Smooth with no hint of any DPs. I attribute this to the catted DPs from Cobb with the factory mid pipes with cats.

You can hear the diverter valves more pronounced now that the DPs are on. I would say its like a BOV at 20% loudness. Low RPM around town is more pronounced.

Get on the accelerator and its slightly louder than before with just the Corsa but not terribly. Sounds great- no rasp- just a nice burble.

Off the Line- You need a limited slip and drag radials because this will break the MPSS tires loose in every gear including 5th!

At speed- Tried to run a 60-130 run to see how it feels compared to my stock GTR with exhaust (nothing tuned or installed other than the 80mm exhaust) - Without definitive numbers- Id say this would stay with my GTR and if it shifted faster- possibly beat it. Id say it runs about 7- 7 1/2 seconds and thats a guess. The pronounced shifts really lose both speed and time. But when its on- its a rocket! Small bumps like 60-90mph in 6th gear took about 2 1/2 seconds. This thing runs hard!

Main difference is when I used to get on it at speed- the car would respond instantly at full throttle and accelerate about 1/2 as quickly as now. To get the same response as before, I barely need to feather the throttle.

I will say the largest improvement is the smooth feel in acceleration it has (aside from shifting). Kosmic also downloaded a Cobb E85 map and stated I could bring it by with a tank full and likely see a huge bump.

The part you should know if you live in Houston and want to try Kosmic out
  • Their shop is clean and well maintained.
  • They have an awesome rep with Subis, Evos and GTRs with the Evo stock turbo world record.
  • Everyone there is professional- no joy rides in customers cars
  • My car was on the dyno being dialed in for hours because they wanted to make it the best they could. Cobb couldnt send them a Master tuner set-up (needs a two week window) so they used Cobb Race and then contacted a lot of tuners including Cobb over the holiday weekend to gain maps so they could complete this on time. In the end- Cobb was very impressed with their numbers. Thats commitment you dont find in a lot of shops.

I know I'll be heading back with my GTR in the near future.

Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #19
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

NIce write- up and congrats again on getting the protune.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 02:34 PM   #20
Sasha4
Private
Rep

Quote:
NIce write- up and congrats again on getting the protune.
When you run yours, do you feel a noticeable delay in the shifts? Wondering if I need to get the transmission flushed.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #21
HOGGLIFE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/CR 135

I will be getting my n55 COBB pro tuned through Kosmic as well. I'm in North Houston and heard good things about them. I actually got on here to search for info on which OTS tune to run but I feel like I need a pro tune after going FBO.

Even more coincidentally, I just drove a GT-R for the first time yesterday and they are a dream.

Thanks for your feedback on their abilities.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #22
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
When you run yours, do you feel a noticeable delay in the shifts? Wondering if I need to get the transmission flushed.
If you are thinking you might need it then pull the trigger. It's worth whatever you will pay, and yes it helped speed up my shifts without a doubt!!
Appreciate 0