BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #45
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc
Sadly, I didn't put the new discs & pads in myself

The workshop who put in my DPs the week before last noticed my performance discs were cracked though all the drill holes. Pads were ~2/3s worn & car's done 23,000km (about 14,000 miles for the imperialists). As they already had the car in bits I've gave them the original discs I removed when the car was new & a new set of OEM pads to install. They put these in but I didn't ask them specifically about the sensors. Maybe they stuffed up here? Alarm didn't come up until a week later so I presume the sensor was at least working when they handed the car back to me.

I'll check the sensor myself. Just one on each axle isn't there? Which side on the front?
Left on the front for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #46
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
...I'll check the sensor myself. Just one on each axle isn't there? Which side on the front?

Ok, so it sounds like the just reused your old sensor. ?

The front left has a pad wear sensor and the rear right has a pad sensor. Only one per axle. I bet all you need is a new sensor and then reset the light with my DIY.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #47
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Left on the front for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Ok, so it sounds like the just reused your old sensor. ?

The front left has a pad wear sensor and the rear right has a pad sensor. Only one per axle. I bet all you need is a new sensor and then reset the light with my DIY.
Thanks both of you.
Excuse my obvious ignorance here (I come from a long line of E30s with the sensors removed), but can't you just reuse the old sensor if it wasn't worn/tripped before?
      04-16-2012, 07:21 AM   #48
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

May have answered this myself... Looks like mine could have been reused without issue. I'll check the connection.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...Brake_Pads.htm

"If your brake sensors activated the lamp on your dashboard, they should be replaced with new ones. Disconnect the sensor (Figure 14), and plug in the new one. Then snap the new sensor into the small gap in the brake pad (Figure 15)."

"Rick Comments: I have a 2008 528xi with 31,000 miles. The brake light sensor has not gone off yet but I am replacing all the pads anyway. Do I have to replace the sensors when I do the pads?
April 5, 2011
Followup from the Pelican Staff: If the light has not gone off, then you probably don't need to replace the sensors. I would take a close look at them when you remove them from the pads - make sure that they have not started to wear at all, and are like new. If yes, then simply reinstall them into the new pads - don't even unplug them, as that can sometimes cause issues if the plugs don't seat properly. - Wayne at Pelican Parts"
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #49
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Thanks both of you.
Excuse my obvious ignorance here (I come from a long line of E30s with the sensors removed), but can't you just reuse the old sensor if it wasn't worn/tripped before?

Not really - bc the old sensor is very brittle, it is hard to reuse. You could "bypass" the sensor by cutting off the sensor short up by teh connector - then solder the two wires together. Some people on older cars do that. But then your pad light will never come on. And on our 1er's the rear pads go fast(bc of the DTC).

Dack
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #50
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Thanks both of you.
dack is correct, but i have found that if you are real carefull and pull the sensors out carefully you can re use them .. the biggest issue is the littl clip that is wrapped around the sensor head.. this tends to loose its tension once removed, but a quick squeeze and its good to go.. If the clip breaks, you have to buy the whole sensor..
      04-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #51
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Not really - bc the old sensor is very brittle, it is hard to reuse. You could "bypass" the sensor by cutting off the sensor short up by teh connector - then solder the two wires together. Some people on older cars do that. But then your pad light will never come on. And on our 1er's the rear pads go fast(bc of the DTC).

Dack
I've just bought a new front sensor... Will check it all out in the morning.
Yeah I've done the bypass/short thing on my old E30s. Don't want to do it on the E82.
I fixed the rear brake issue with my Quaife.
      04-17-2012, 04:57 AM   #52
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHard View Post
dack is correct, but i have found that if you are real carefull and pull the sensors out carefully you can re use them .. the biggest issue is the littl clip that is wrapped around the sensor head.. this tends to loose its tension once removed, but a quick squeeze and its good to go.. If the clip breaks, you have to buy the whole sensor..
Taa. I'll check this out in the morning. If it's unserviceable I'll put the new one in & attempt a reset again.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 10:47 PM   #53
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Yeah, they'd broken the sensor somehow. New one installed & all good
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #54
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, they'd broken the sensor somehow. New one installed & all good

Glad you fixed it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:50 AM   #55
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Glad you fixed it.
'Glad you guys pointed me in the right direction!
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      04-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #56
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
'Glad you guys pointed me in the right direction!
Your welcome !!
      04-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #57
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Is it same resetting service lights for cars equipped with I-Drive
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #58
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Is it same resetting service lights for cars equipped with I-Drive

Yes, I believe so. I know you can also reset these service due lights with a BT scan tool as well. But I still use my method... it is so much easier. Even the guys at my BMW Zentrum do it this way!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #59
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

And here I was 2 clicks away from buying the BT tool! Some very useful information. Just one thing though, if I intend to change my oil more frequently, can I enter manually a shorter amount of Kms prior to having the indicator go off? For example, instead of the indicator going off after 15000Kms, can I set it to say, 7500Kms?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:56 AM   #60
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
And here I was 2 clicks away from buying the BT tool! Some very useful information. Just one thing though, if I intend to change my oil more frequently, can I enter manually a shorter amount of Kms prior to having the indicator go off? For example, instead of the indicator going off after 15000Kms, can I set it to say, 7500Kms?

Not with resetting the oil service lights via the BC. But I think with the BT tool you can. There is an adjustment tab/button in the BT menu... (see photo bellow - far right tab)

Name:  IMG_9142.jpg
Views: 3400
Size:  126.7 KB

Sorry for the lousy photo. The reason I was just looking at the Condition Based Service (CBS) menu (w/my BT software) was I was curious IF the car knows when someone changes the oil but doesn't reset the CBS lights. I have read that the electronic dip stick also has a sensor for oil quality. Well.. the computer does NOT know. At least with the BT when looking at the CBS menu... it still showed an oil change coming soon. Even though I had fresh oil in the engine.

What I would do is just change the oil more often... and not reset the lights while your car is under the warranty. Then later when the car goes out of the free maintanence, you can use this DIY to reset your CBS lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #61
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Thanks for taking the time to take the photo, and the info Dackel. Now I guess I have to weigh up whether it's worth getting the BT tool just so I can adjust the values for oil servicing. Though obviously, there are other benefits and uses to be had by owning a BT tool...

My car is 6 months from going out of warranty, and I'm thinking of just doing the servicing myself - i was a bit peeved that they charged me nearly $200 just for inspection at the last 'service'. No actual 'servicing' as such. So I'm a bit wary about the costs of fluid replacement etc... I feel my money might be better spent on mods and DIY service equipment. Though knowing my luck, something will happen before the warranty expires, and I won't be covered cos I've tinkered with the car already
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #62
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
Though knowing my luck, something will happen before the warranty expires, and I won't be covered cos I've tinkered with the car already
You gotta pay to play...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #63
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Great thread,However I got one issue using this method. Jut got back from having my annuel oil change and dealer noticed in two months the brake fluid flush was due so he decided to do it along with the oil ch. The brake flush indicator was not reset so I tried this method. Mashed the trip indicator until I got the yellow triangle came on but as soon as i released the button the triangle went off and the cluster went back to normal.Hold the button to long and goes into the hidden menu.Am I doing something wrong or could the car have had a SW update that would prevent this. Car is 09 135i.Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 01:21 AM   #64
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fasst1 View Post
Great thread,However I got one issue using this method. Jut got back from having my annuel oil change and dealer noticed in two months the brake fluid flush was due so he decided to do it along with the oil ch. The brake flush indicator was not reset so I tried this method. Mashed the trip indicator until I got the yellow triangle came on but as soon as i released the button the triangle went off and the cluster went back to normal.Hold the button to long and goes into the hidden menu.Am I doing something wrong or could the car have had a SW update that would prevent this. Car is 09 135i.Thanks for any input.

You probably did it wrong. This method works - as as using the BT tool also can reset the service due lights.

After resetting the lights, one should always go back into the service menu screen on the BC and see what it reads. Then you know IF you did it correct of not.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #65
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Quote:
You probably did it wrong. This method works - as as using the BT tool also can reset the service due lights.

After resetting the lights, one should always go back into the service menu screen on the BC and see what it reads. Then you know IF you did it correct of not.
Just thought I would let you know that I finally got it to reset. I did notice that the only way I got the brake fluid flush to work was to have the ignition on but the car not running. Thanks for the info
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      11-01-2012, 03:48 AM   #66
help me
Australia
Rep
Drives: black on black 135i

Thumbs up

Thanks will help when I change the engine oil next week
Appreciate 0