BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-26-2016, 04:11 AM   #1
K-Bag
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 OG M2

E82 Alcon Brake Install

Hey All

So I recently purchased a 2012 135, and after reading many stories here of standard brakes failing at the track, I decided to have them replaced the next time the pads and rotors were due with something a bit more durable. This is especially important to me as I plan to blast this thing around the track sooner or later.

So after much research, I contacted Brakes Direct and Purchased a front only Alcon kit for about AUD $4100 delivered.

Unfortunately they took 3 months to arrive due to a production delay with Alcon in the UK, but what can you do.

Specifics are;
CR6380 Caliper - 2.9kg
New Brackets and mounting hardware
355x32 semi-floating rotor. - 9.2kg
Project Mu Club Racer Pads (I forgot to weigh these but no matter)
Alcon Braided lines.

Compare the weight to previous
BMW Caliper (with very worn pads) - 6.5kg
BMW Rotor (24.3mm thickness too) - 9.2kg

The New caliper setup is significantly lighter than the old brake setup, with the rotors the same weight. All things being equal, probably a 2kg-ish saving each side in unsprung weight once the new brackets are included.

And now some pictures
Name:  Caliper 1.jpg
Views: 1269
Size:  12.6 KB

Name:  Back of Caliper.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  14.1 KB

Name:  Pistons.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  13.1 KB

Name:  Rotor Bobbins.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  10.7 KB

Name:  Weight.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  15.6 KB

Name:  Rotor Weight.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  16.2 KB

Name:  1. Old Caliper.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  17.9 KB

Name:  1. Old Rotor.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  18.5 KB

They were installed today, and I immediately have soft pedal and long pedal travel. The first inch or so of pedal travel does nothing. But when they start to grip, they do so in a good linear fashion all the way to ABS activation.

While the installation shop no doubt bled the brakes, I'm fairly sure there is still air in the system. So off to buy a pressure bleeder tomorrow!

So there you have it, an alternative for AP / Brembo / Stoptech for those considering brakes, available from an Australian supplier.

EDIT 1.
After a week of driving the pedal has firmed up quite nicely. I was able to do a bedding in procedure, which helped immensely. There is still a little play in the pedal, which should be resolved with the ABS bleed described below.

However, the calipers do not come with any pad retaining clips, so the pads rattle around in the caliper. It is embarrassingly noisy and annoying as hell. Brakes Direct was able to send some clips from a different caliper, so we'll see how that goes.

EDIT 2.
Pad retaining clips installed from a similar CAR97 Caliper. Clunking mostly gone. Only happens on the first brake application going forward or pack as the pad seats in the forward / rear position. I honestly dont know why the CR6380 Calipers dont come with the clips standard to save on heartache, but its sorted now.

BMW Dealer also bled lines and ABS module, pedal is now very firm. Pads have good linear application until ABS activation.

Overall, despite the delays and initial problems, I am now very happy.

Last edited by K-Bag; 09-07-2016 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: 2 Weeks of use. Issues solved.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2016, 04:23 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You need to use the ISTA or BMW tool to pulse the ABS/DSC block. You will feel a strong pulse - as the solenoids bleed out the air bubbles. Any BMW dealer can also do this. Otherwise you will have a "soft" pedal.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2016, 04:35 AM   #3
K-Bag
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
You need to use the ISTA or BMW tool to pulse the ABS/DSC block. You will feel a strong pulse - as the solenoids bleed out the air bubbles. Any BMW dealer can also do this. Otherwise you will have a "soft" pedal.
Hey mate. That's handy info. There's only 1 BMW dealer in Newcastle here, I'll get in touch with them Monday.

Also obligatory on car picture i forgot before.
Name:  2. Final.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  22.7 KB

Name:  2. Final 2.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  15.9 KB
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Looks good! Did you need a spacer to fit the calipers?
Sometimes these multipiston calipers harbour small bubbles and can be a bastard to bleed out.
When i fitted new calipers i had to do about 6 small bleeds before the pedal was satisfactory. You can also rattle the bubbles to the top with a rubber mallet and loose caliper bolts while bleeding under pressure - ABS module shouldn't have gone dry if they knew to hold the brake pedal down while swapping calipers
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
K-Bag
Private
Australia
Rep

Hey Mate. No spacer necessary. It fits wonderfully. After about 10k of driving, and a track day, these brakes are truly excellent.

Yeah I figured there were bubbles in them, on my old VE commodore, a 6 piston Brembo install took like 4 goes to get all the air out. They are good enough now, I'm just getting a fluid change with every oil change until its sorted.
Appreciate 0