BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-07-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
e46m3to135i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 MR E92 M3

Half engine light tonight.....

Well I got my first half engine light tonight while doing some hard autobahn pulls. Mods are in sig below. Im running map 5 so im sure thats not the problem. I installed my SLD about a week ago and finally got a chance tonight to test it out. I did a couple 80-180 mph runs and cruised back home at around 100-110 mph. While cruising back the half engine light came on along with the yellow traction control symbol and the yellow ebrake light(not cool at 110MPH, lol). The engine stayed running but when I gave it gas, it did absolutely nothing. I turned on my hazards and merged over to the shoulder. As I was comingto a stop on the shoulder, I could hear a loud groaning noised coming from what sounded to belike the rear brakes, like the ebrake was on, which it was NOT. I came to a stop and the half engine light and everything else went away 10-20 seconds later. I pulled back on to the autobahn and everything seemed fine except my boost was very inconsistent and it seemed kind of doggy. For some reason, my exhaust seems a little louder, but it could just be me. I do have a can tool but I have it stowed under my dash so I couldn't pull any codes if there are any. I also have it setup for auto code delete so I dont even know if there will be a code to read with the auto delete thing turned on. So, does anyone have any idea what may have happened during my pulls? My first thought is oil temp got too high during hard hi speed pulls and triggered limp mode but that doesnt really explain the lack of boost after it cooled back down or the different sounding exhaust tone. I currently have IAT on my oil temp gauge so I wasnt able to monitor oil temp during pulls. I will be pulling codes tomorrow but has anyone heard of anything like this before???? Any help would be greatly appreiciated!

-Nick

Evolve Stage 1 Tune / GTS DCT Flash / Servo Tune / OEM Exhaust Mod / BMC Drop In / H&R Sports Springs / BMS 15/12mm Spacers / CF Grilles / CF Gills / CF Hood Vents / Painted Reflectors / Extended Paddles / BMS ARC AE's / Cyba Scoops / 20% Tint
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
moveswiftly
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman GT4, 135i

Garage List
2012 335iS  [0.00]
Not sure contact terry though and check for codes or shadow codes if anything remains.

Gone but not forgotten: Cayman GT4, M2C, 2011 135i, E83 X3 6MT, 2016 SO M3, 2012 335iS, 2010 135i and 2006 e90 325xi
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

UPDATE: Checked for codes the day after and zero code came up. The same thing happened today while crusing on the autobahn at 110MPH for about 30 minutes. Half engine light came on with an exclamation mark next to it, DTC was on and the yellow ebrake light was on all at the same time. I came to a stop on the side of the autobahn and the car was surging in RPM's from 1000 to 2000 up and down over and over again, and was also making a horribly loud grouning noise with each surge up. After about 20 seconds of it doing that, I shut it off for about 10 seconds and started it. It started like normal and idled perfect. I got back on to the autobahn, drove it home and it ran like nothing ever happened?????????? I dont get it. NO CODES and it only happens at high cruisng speeds. I do NOT have the usual HPFP symptoms of long cranks and rough idle. It sucks because I was ready to pull the trigger on a meth kit in the next couple days. Anybody have any ideas?????

-Nick
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
romak47
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a bat out of hell

well being an aircraft electrician id say go with the last thing that was installed if a new problem arrises.

So that would be the SLD.. I cant remember what the SLD does but isnt it a BMS part? Its the thing that deletes codes automatically and also does a whole bunch of other features like changes JB3 maps by using the steering wheel? If thats right, id look at all the connections of the SLD>. Never know. Maybe that tracking jarred something loose?

GL
JB4, DCI, Digi boost, CSL eyelids, 5% tint, KW v2's. Bastuck 85mm quad w/ berk resonated mids, LED int ltg, Perf SSK, CF int trim, 19" SF-71 rims, CDV mod, BMS OCC, ER+tial charge pipe. AR DP's, Helix IC,meth, drilled slotted rotors
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
e46m3to335i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by romak47 View Post
well being an aircraft electrician id say go with the last thing that was installed if a new problem arrises.

So that would be the SLD.. I cant remember what the SLD does but isnt it a BMS part? Its the thing that deletes codes automatically and also does a whole bunch of other features like changes JB3 maps by using the steering wheel? If thats right, id look at all the connections of the SLD>. Never know. Maybe that tracking jarred something loose?

GL
SLD is the speed limit defender. It is a BMS product and it basically removes the governer. The other thing that you were refering to is the Can Tool which I also have. Off topic question for you, where are you located in Germany??

-Nick
Appreciate 0