BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #23
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport /w PDC and ComAcc

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by axoid View Post
I went through this search a couple of weeks ago. No one had anything to the 128. So I ended up a Berk Tech 135 exhaust and I'm having it adapted to my 128.
Oh dude post the details. What type of work is going in to adapt it? That can be useful for all of us. If you can break it down.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #24
Blacky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Hey mate, if you are posted in Europe / Germany why wouldn't you go for a local product Bastuck.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #25
K03sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver GTI, yeah I know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_2_B_P View Post
Thank you on the forced induction call. Any sites you can post for facts on that? Are you saying not to go 3" TILL I get the forced induction(SC/TC) upgrade?
Well, it may not matter if companies have pretty much ignored the 128i with exhaust selections.

Headers, downpipes, and cats are the biggest culprits in hampering exhaust flow. After the cat, its the muffler, but the other pieces have already done their part to slow the flow.

If you are only going to replace the axle-back portion, 3" probably wouldn't be bad. My call to not go 3" until getting FI was due to a possible loss of some low end TQ below the curve if you went with a full cat-back.

One more thing, mufflers designed for turbo cars may be a bit more free flowing than those mufflers designed for NA cars. The turbos provide back-pressure and opening up the exhaust after the turbo helps those turbos spool faster.

At this rate, you may have to use a 135i designed axle back and change out the midpipe on down the road when ready.
      07-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #26
axoid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 128i

Quote:
Oh dude post the details. What type of work is going in to adapt it? That can be useful for all of us. If you can break it down.
It hasn't been done yet. The car is in the body shop, has been for 7 weeks and will be for at least 2-3 more. The shop is going to cut the two pipes that come from the 128s exhaust manifolds and graft them into the Berk pipes after cutting the angled ends that connect them 135s down pipes and then TIG weld them.

Bill [92 Camaro RS (Autocross ESP / Trackrat) | 09 BMW 128i Sport Package]
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #27
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Jesus I didn't know they were that different. I would love to get at leasta muffler swap to a less restrictive one. Of course still legal. But at the same time maybe I should wait for Magnaflow. These other exhaust are SO expensive.
Black Badge - Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 18" - ASA AR1 18" - B&M Short Shifter - aFe Stage 2 CAI Pro 5 R - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Performance Pedal Kit - CDV delete - Custom Tint - Bastuck Exhaust w/o Silencer - Custom Tune
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 11:23 PM   #28
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Update - 1st post
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 07:31 AM   #29
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
I talked with **********s and they said they could get me a magnaflow exhaust! I'm excited and hope for the best. They said that once the order goes through I will not be allowed to cancel it because it is a custom order. Magnaflow warrenty will of course still be in effect and the form I had to sign to get this exhaust didn't say I couldn't get a refund. The form had 3 boxes:

1: 100% non-refundable
2. 50% non-refundable
3. Cannot be cancelled

Only #3 was checked.

Wish me luck

Oh and it will take an extra 1-2 weeks till its shipped.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #30
M II
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
I talked with **********s and they said they could get me a magnaflow exhaust! I'm excited and hope for the best. They said that once the order goes through I will not be allowed to cancel it because it is a custom order. Magnaflow warrenty will of course still be in effect and the form I had to sign to get this exhaust didn't say I couldn't get a refund. The form had 3 boxes:

1: 100% non-refundable
2. 50% non-refundable
3. Cannot be cancelled

Only #3 was checked.

Wish me luck

Oh and it will take an extra 1-2 weeks till its shipped.

Harrison,

Thank you for the order! Your order has been sent over to Magnaflow and I know you're very excited to get your system - we'll do our BEST to get this out to you quickly! Thank you for putting your faith in **********s and thank you for serving our country!

Tell all your buddies in the military that we're very grateful and that they'll be getting special **********s pricing!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #31
jb2178
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Keep us updated, what was the final price?
      07-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #32
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
$649 which included shipping.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #33
dc0511
Rep
Drives: 2003 RSX Type-S

Really interested to see how long it takes to get this, plus how it looks and sounds.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #34
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
oh believe me...I will be doing an extensive review just like my aFe intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #35
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW, Jeep, Ducati & Harley

Remus is a very high quality exhaust with a lifetime warranty (knew that already), sounds super (deep and throaty without harshness or drone - clips can be heard online) and simple to install on the 128. It's a cut/slip/clamp job, done at the short, straight section of angled pipe just prior to the muffler's point of entry. The application lists both the 128 and 135...stock 128 pipe OD at that section is 2.5" - almost positive that's the same as the 135 (if not, a short neck-down piece is cake).

For 128 owners, this should be by far the best alternative to the BMWP piece, and the rolled tips on the Remus certainly look more expensive than the BMWP tips, which to me look hack-sawed off. I will be ordering shortly, just trying to space out my many recent purchases lol.

Eddy at **********s has been super friendly and helpful, assisting me in gathering the information neccesary to make a decision. Thanks Eddy!
Attached Images

Last edited by Fireflyer239; 07-23-2010 at 09:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #36
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

Talking Magnaflow

For those of you considering a Magnaflow, I just ordered the catback (item #16525) for a 128 from AutoAnything. They have a promotion (10% for new customers). Price shipped within continental US is $509. Was considering the BMW Performance but just couldn't pass this up at the price.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #37
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Right on bro. Glad you got it for cheap. I went with ModBargins because they were the first company I came across that could actually get it to me.

I would not get the Remus personally just because its the same price as magnaflows cat-back. All you get with remus is just a little pipe and the muffler for more money

I am however still waiting for an update from ModBargins on my magna flow. CentralPA E82 how long did it take you to get yours? How long have to been waiting? How long did they say it would take?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #38
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

The exhaust is scheduled to ship on 7/26. Will keep you updated on the progress. Hope to have it installed next week if everything works out.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #39
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Eager to see your reviews and hopefully video soundclip - I'm open to opinion before ordering the Remus. Since most of the back pressure is generated from the cat forward, power gains should not be expected whether using a catback (Magnaflow) or muffler only (Remus). We're doing this for improved sound only, let's face it. With that in mind, I don't see the point in replacing sections of exhaust that won't make a difference, just for the sake of replacing them - whether or not they can be bought cheaper. I learned long ago that price definitely does not equal value...you get what you pay for. Several places I talked to felt kind of sketchy on the Magnaflow's quality...but I see they also have a lifetime warranty which is good. Perhaps the biggest influencing factor so far is that most of the BMW Magnaflow sound clips I've heard sounded too tinny and raspy for my taste, although there is a clip of a 135 with Magnaflow that sounds pretty good. Remus's rep for quality is top notch and all their clips I've listened to sound deep, throaty, but refined and carefully tuned. Excessive cabin drone would be a big disappointment also. Remus claims minimum drone, but that remains to be seen. Sound clip here, stock vs. Remus:

http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/128i...-p-258106.html

To each their own. Looking forward to your impressions, and I'm just glad that some choices are beginning to emerge for the 128. I wish you the best with your choice!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 06:16 AM   #40
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Eager to see your reviews and hopefully video soundclip - I'm open to opinion before ordering the Remus. Since most of the back pressure is generated from the cat forward, power gains should not be expected whether using a catback (Magnaflow) or muffler only (Remus). We're doing this for improved sound only, let's face it. With that in mind, I don't see the point in replacing sections of exhaust that won't make a difference, just for the sake of replacing them - whether or not they can be bought cheaper. I learned long ago that price definitely does not equal value...you get what you pay for. Several places I talked to felt kind of sketchy on the Magnaflow's quality...but I see they also have a lifetime warranty which is good. Perhaps the biggest influencing factor so far is that most of the BMW Magnaflow sound clips I've heard sounded too tinny and raspy for my taste, although there is a clip of a 135 with Magnaflow that sounds pretty good. Remus's rep for quality is top notch and all their clips I've listened to sound deep, throaty, but refined and carefully tuned. Excessive cabin drone would be a big disappointment also. Remus claims minimum drone, but that remains to be seen. Sound clip here, stock vs. Remus:

http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/128i...-p-258106.html

To each their own. Looking forward to your impressions, and I'm just glad that some choices are beginning to emerge for the 128. I wish you the best with your choice!

Yea I hear what you are saying. I wouldn't see to much gain above Remus, but every little bit helps. It would be lighter weight then stock pipes with better bends and a better resonator. All that together makes it worth it. It "should" create less back pressure so I'm happy if that's true. Also you should see better gains when tuning a cat-back vs. a muffler change. I hope more than anything that we are both satisfied with our buys.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #41
Fireflyer239
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just yesterday I saw a segment on "Hot Rod TV" which featured a tour of the Magnaflow factory. I was impressed by the whole thing, and got the impression that every piece that goes out the door there is a perfect fit. What you're saying about the weight savings is something I had not given thought to...and this is a guy who went ahead and spent the cash on Breyton GTS-R's specifically to save weight - something I see as very valuable. Hmmm, I may be flip-flopping here.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 09:30 AM   #42
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireflyer239 View Post
Just yesterday I saw a segment on "Hot Rod TV" which featured a tour of the Magnaflow factory. I was impressed by the whole thing, and got the impression that every piece that goes out the door there is a perfect fit. What you're saying about the weight savings is something I had not given thought to...and this is a guy who went ahead and spent the cash on Breyton GTS-R's specifically to save weight - something I see as very valuable. Hmmm, I may be flip-flopping here.
I know what you are saying. I flippy floppy all the time =P. Honestly though its takes a lot of weight lose to make a big dif.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 11:15 PM   #43
B_2_B_P
Private First Class
Germany
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikijack View Post
Hi:
I installed a Magnaflow on my old 318ti. Inside the car the decibel meter read 105. Well beyond the hearing danger threshold. I removed it and went back to stock.

Jack
Can you explain a bit? How old was the car, did it have other mods that made it worse, or at what time would it be 105 i.e load, RPM, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 01:02 AM   #44
bozola
Unloved BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe, 3 318Ti

Garage List
1999 Z3 Coupe  [10.00]
1998 318Ti  [0.00]
1998 318Ti  [10.00]
2008 128i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikijack View Post
Hi:
I installed a Magnaflow on my old 318ti. Inside the car the decibel meter read 105. Well beyond the hearing danger threshold. I removed it and went back to stock.

Jack
You have the 2 best Bimmers like me... :-)

Appreciate 0