BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Newlyblond
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Jet Black

Non Run-Flat Suggestions

My 2009 128i is equipped with Pirelli RFT's. I have only 11,000 miles on the car, and had to replace the first tire when I had only 6,000 miles on it. At lease end, I was told by the dealer that if I wanted to CPO the car, I'd have to replace the other three RFT's. They wouldn't budge on that requirement, so I bought the car off of lease and didn't CPO. I work from home and do very little highway driving (or driving at all, for that matter) and am not willing to replace these expensive tires every 10,000 miles (if I'm lucky). I'd rather pay to replace all four tires with non run-flats and have them last 30,000 miles or more.

I'm looking for suggestions of good-performing non-RF tires to replace mine with. I should mention that I have the Sport package on the car. My current tires are 205/50/R17 (front) and 225/45/R17 (rear). I live in FL, so although I won't be dealing with cold weather and snow, I do deal with very rainy weather in the summer.

From other threads, I've picked up that the Michelin Pilot Super Sport are the most desirable (but cost as much as run-flats) and that the Continental Extreme Contact DW's are also good. Any other suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

While I realize you don't need all seasons in Florida, the Conti DWS tires handle and ride very well on my 128i 'vert with sport package. As they cost about the same as the summer performance DWs, but will last about 35% longer, judging by the UTQG ratings, I'd choose them unless you need race track performance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...er=Continental

Tom
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

Check out the Yokohama S drives, about half the price of the RFTs, I have put about 5k miles on mine much better grip on the road and track. They are more compliant than the RFTs, but feel good with the sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Newlyblond
Rep

Non Run-Flats

Thanks for these suggestions. I will look into them. I'm also trying to figure out whether it will be cheaper to have them shipped directly from Tire Rack or whether it is cheaper to buy them locally at Tire Kingdom or another chain. I have to shop them. Optimally, I'd feel better if the BMW dealer installed them, but that may be a little overcautious.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

You are already looking at the tires I would recommend. I still haven't pulled the trigger but my plan is to get a price from tire rack including shipping and then call a local tire place I am confident in (not Tire Kingdom) and ask them for a quote for the exact same tires. I expect they will match the tire rack price but if they cannot, then I will have tire rack ship to them for installationn. Tire rack shows on their website who they work with by area. My theory is that the local store would appreciate the chance to give the same prices and will not have an issue with installation if they cannot. Both I and my son have purchased tires from them previously and been happy with their business policies and with their work.

I'm a little leery about having just anybody put tires on my bimmer. I want them match balanced (find the heavy spot on the wheel and on the tire and offset them) and I want the wheels to be OK when they are done.

I think you are looking at tires you will be happy with but should shop a bit for installation services. For an economical performance selection, I think the Conti ultra performance all season is quite a buy. It gets pretty high ratings on tire rack but has very good wear ratings. For about the best performance ratings but still reasonable wear ratings, the latest Michelin high performance summer tire is hard to beat.

Another thing to consider is "going square". Tire rack says the rear tire can be mounted on the front rim width on our cars (I have a 2009 128i vert with 7 inch wide front rims and 7.5 inch rear rims). That would allow the same size tire all the way around (so they can be rotated and to cut down understeer).

Jim
      09-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Newlyblond
Rep

Tire Installers

Well, Tire Kingdom happens to be one of Tire Rack's recommended installers in my area, as well as The Tire Choice and Tires Plus - all of them chains. I don't know much about any of them, which is why I'm considering having these shipped to my BMW dealer. Yes, I'll pay more for installation, but at least I'll know it's being done properly. As I recall, they, too, mentioned that they would match prices that I found online (let's see). When I was in for an oil change a month ago, they had come way down off of their high horse about run flats. I guess that BMW is finally caving under the mountain of complaints. They even gave me a quote for a set of four (silent on the brand) non-RF's: $870, which is astronomical compared to what the Continental DWS would cost me through Tire Rack. I will have to speak to them again.

Now, here's a real dumb question: I have my RF's inflated with nitrogen to cut down on trips to top-off air. Can nitrogen be put in a regular non-RF tire?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
orion01
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlyblond View Post
Well, Tire Kingdom happens to be one of Tire Rack's recommended installers in my area, as well as The Tire Choice and Tires Plus - all of them chains. I don't know much about any of them, which is why I'm considering having these shipped to my BMW dealer. Yes, I'll pay more for installation, but at least I'll know it's being done properly. As I recall, they, too, mentioned that they would match prices that I found online (let's see). When I was in for an oil change a month ago, they had come way down off of their high horse about run flats. I guess that BMW is finally caving under the mountain of complaints. They even gave me a quote for a set of four (silent on the brand) non-RF's: $870, which is astronomical compared to what the Continental DWS would cost me through Tire Rack. I will have to speak to them again.

Now, here's a real dumb question: I have my RF's inflated with nitrogen to cut down on trips to top-off air. Can nitrogen be put in a regular non-RF tire?
Yes!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

While the answer is certainly yes, my opinion is that nitrogen is a waste of money. Air is 78% nitrogen anyway. Paying more for nearly 100% nitrogen doesn't really provide a benefit worth any money, at least to me. It doesn't hurt anything, the question is just if it has a benefit worth even a low price. I've read the arguments but I just don't see it.

I suggested the match balancing because I think it's better and it might be a way to differentiate between installers. If an installer match balances, they are capable of more of a high end job and probably are the place where the people really into their cars go.

I also would not pay more for the BMW dealer to install tires unless I had information to say they do a better job. The simple fact that they are the car dealer doesn't say much to me about how well they install tires. I have no doubt they can do it but they do not do it every day like a tire place and they may or may not be good at it. There are jobs requiring special tools or knowledge where a dealer is preferred and may be the only option. But tires are not beyond the ability of other establishments.

Jim
      09-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Get the Michelins Super sports. Mine are excellent all around tires plus great tire wear. I paid a bit more then comparable non runflats but not close to the price of OEM run flats.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Newlyblond
Rep

Nitrogen. Etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
While the answer is certainly yes, my opinion is that nitrogen is a waste of money. Air is 78% nitrogen anyway. Paying more for nearly 100% nitrogen doesn't really provide a benefit worth any money, at least to me. It doesn't hurt anything, the question is just if it has a benefit worth even a low price. I've read the arguments but I just don't see it.

I suggested the match balancing because I think it's better and it might be a way to differentiate between installers. If an installer match balances, they are capable of more of a high end job and probably are the place where the people really into their cars go.

I also would not pay more for the BMW dealer to install tires unless I had information to say they do a better job. The simple fact that they are the car dealer doesn't say much to me about how well they install tires. I have no doubt they can do it but they do not do it every day like a tire place and they may or may not be good at it. There are jobs requiring special tools or knowledge where a dealer is preferred and may be the only option. But tires are not beyond the ability of other establishments.

Jim
I only paid for the nitrogen on the first fill of all four tires. $60-70, I believe. The dealer will top it off for me as often as I'd like at no charge, presumably because I'm still under warranty. Your point is well-taken, though, and I'm not as paranoid about tire pressure with the non-flats as I had to be with the run-flats (although I still do check it regularly).

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer. I spoke to them on Friday, and they said that they could order the tires from Tire Rack for me, rather than me ordering them for drop-ship. I told them that was fine with me, providing that they don't mark them up! I will get full disclosure from them on prices before I give them the green light. The car is still under warranty, so I'm not sure how much of this I will have to pay for (probably all of it since I'm not going with run flats). If they are too high, I'll go to one of the tire places, but have no idea which is most reputable.

Thanks for your advice and input!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Newlyblond
Rep

Continental DWS Installed

I want to thank you all for your suggestions. I went with the Continental DWS and just came from The Tire Choice who matched the Tire Rack price for them. I've got to say, just on the short ride home, I feel a tremendous difference. The ride is so much smoother and quieter. I'm really happy that I did this. Michelins would have been nice, but a little out of my price range when I had to buy four of them at once.

Of course, my low inflation sensor is now lit, because I forgot to specifically warn them about the sensors (I thought it was something they would know about). No biggie - I'll just turn it off. I'm not sure how much value the sensor has with the non run-flats, anyway, although I'll ask the dealer when I bring the car in for its routine warranty maintenance in two weeks. The dealer cautioned me NOT to let Tire Choice do a wheel alignment as it could void my warranty, so I just had them mount and balance, and I did decide to go for the nitrogen again, as they only charged $39.99 for all four tires, so what the heck.

Again, thank you all for your input!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
n2djazz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe (T. Silver)

Toyos on the Front

Just bought a pair of Toyo Proxes T1 Sport for the front (215 / 40 / 18). The car is much quieter since parting with the OE RFTs. Haven't put any miles on them yet. At dealer, to do alignment. Will comment later on thoughts about the Toyos and how they handle. I'm on vacation so I'll be put some time on the tires soon. Oh, and I keep a can of Slime in the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
guitarguylp
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I noticed the talk about Nitrogen in tires I think for the OP it would be a good idea, and help the tires last longer. If you don't put many miles on your car your tires might rot a bit before the tread is done. Nitrogen filled tires will last longer before rotting since the rubber on the inside of the tire will not oxidize very much. At least that is according to a tire shop that I have had very good dealings with, and they put nitrogen in all the tires they sell no charge.

Previously owned
2009 128i, 2004 X3, 2008 128i, 2007 X5, 2012 328i, 2015 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #14
mchaoster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i on order

how many miles did you guys have before replacement?

I only have 10,000 miles on my 2012 and my dealer is already telling me to replace my dunlop run flats. he says every 12k miles is standard on bmw's. i wanted to get rid of them anyways but 10k miles??? it just seems a bit ridiculous that it wears that fast. i don't track it or drive crazy...

how many miles did you guys put on your run flats before having to replace them?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
MontegoCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 2012 128i Coupe

23K on the rears. Wife drives the 128 and is not happy that it needs tires after 15 months of driving.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #16
IDBMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlyblond View Post

I would not have tires installed by the BMW dealer. I would go to a good tire shop. I would bet a good tire shop installs more tires on BMW’s than the dealer. And if you are picky about your balance, find a place that has a Hunter Road Force Balance machine. These machines balance the tire using road force like the tire is on the road. It will cost but you will not have balance issues.

I you are looking for decent tires for a great price look at the Hankook V12’s on Tire Rack. I bought a staggered set for my 135i and they were under $700. In fact I am on my second set in the rear. And I got the price from Tire Rack and went local to see if they would match but no one could come close to the Tire Rack price even with shipping.
      11-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #17
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguylp View Post
I noticed the talk about Nitrogen in tires I think for the OP it would be a good idea, and help the tires last longer. If you don't put many miles on your car your tires might rot a bit before the tread is done. Nitrogen filled tires will last longer before rotting since the rubber on the inside of the tire will not oxidize very much. At least that is according to a tire shop that I have had very good dealings with, and they put nitrogen in all the tires they sell no charge.
Does that tire shop completely evacuate the air prior to the nitrogen fill?

I've been putting nitrogen in my tires for over 50 years and have never had a tire rot from the inside. But I use a special 78% concentration which I get for free.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
guitarguylp
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Does that tire shop completely evacuate the air prior to the nitrogen fill?

I've been putting nitrogen in my tires for over 50 years and have never had a tire rot from the inside. But I use a special 78% concentration which I get for free.

Tom
That is great!!! I have heard a lot of people concerned about the harmful effects of Nitrogen if it leaks not realizing that air is 78% nitrogen.

I think the benefit depends on how long you have your tires for. The winters for my wife's car are 8 years old they are starting to rot a bit, but the tread has about 2-3 years left on them. I am not sure if these would have lasted as long without the nitrogen. If your tires only last about 3-4 years I am not convinced that there is much benefit to the nitrogen, but I am not sure about the other claimed benefits of nitrogen.

I don't think that they completely evacuate the tire before filling it up I think they just use nitrogen to fill up the tires. I would think that putting the tires under vacuum could un seat the bead on the tire since rims are designed to hold the tire under pressure, not under vacuum. I think they just have a nitrogen filter feeding the air compressors, and since they don't charge for it you can't go wrong.

Previously owned
2009 128i, 2004 X3, 2008 128i, 2007 X5, 2012 328i, 2015 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #19
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Hi

i just put 255\35\18 225\40\18 Yokohama AD08 tires on my 135 replacing my RFTs,
i'll update once i have enough mileage on them
      11-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #20
BattleRaT
Old Member
Chile
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsooba View Post
Hi

i just put 255\35\18 225\40\18 Yokohama AD08 tires on my 135 replacing my RFTs,
i'll update once i have enough mileage on them
Hey man, could you please give us an update on this? Did you experience any rubbing on your 135 with 251 wheels using 255/35R18 and 225/40R18?

Do you recommend the 261 Wheels + AD08 in these sizes?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #21
katsooba
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleRaT View Post
Hey man, could you please give us an update on this? Did you experience any rubbing on your 135 with 251 wheels using 255/35R18 and 225/40R18?

Do you recommend the 261 Wheels + AD08 in these sizes?
Hi,

well, i put the above sizes on the stock rims, stock suspension, with 0.6 camber in the front. no rubbing whatsoever.

the AD08 are great for day to day driving, on public road with aggressive driving these tires give much confidence, mid turn they just keep gripping with needing to fix the curve, the back just wont let go, only under hard gas it would let the tail out but keeping all undercontrol.

the tires are rather quiet, comfortable , i ride 40psi front 42 psi back, lower than that and the sidewalls become little squishy for my taste,

oh, and they grip on the wet almost just as good as on the dry!

love them, i may try the goodyear assy2 for the next setup

but i still have plenty of time to enjoy my ad08s
      12-14-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

Another thing to consider is "going square". Tire rack says the rear tire can be mounted on the front rim width on our cars (I have a 2009 128i vert with 7 inch wide front rims and 7.5 inch rear rims). That would allow the same size tire all the way around (so they can be rotated and to cut down understeer).

Jim
I hear you need a spacer for the OEM 18's up front to pull this off. true?

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0