BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-09-2013, 05:17 AM   #199
Obioban
Emperor
Rep
Drives: M3, M3, M5, M5

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
so even if you bring in your own BMW genuine part they won't install it? that's terrible

learn to take a tough stance on stuff and have better documentation... rather than become a terrible workshop.
They will install OE parts. They will not install OEM parts. They are anything but a terrible workshop. In fact, they're the only people I'll let work on my car other than me.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #200
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban
Quote:
so even if you bring in your own BMW genuine part they won't install it? that's terrible

learn to take a tough stance on stuff and have better documentation... rather than become a terrible workshop.
They will install OE parts. They will not install OEM parts. They are anything but a terrible workshop. In fact, they're the only people I'll let work on my car other than me.
Fair enough

I'm sure their work is good - but i judge a lot based on how they'll work with me as a customer

And to me, that's poor customer service

It's quite simple to say 'we don't warrant any non-genuine parts installed for failure not directly related to improper installation'

Then again, they sound like they get plenty of boring general repair work for that not to matter to them in the least haha
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 08:09 AM   #201
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
No problem! Even more funny that they're actually also much smaller in size with a more simplistic design and also don't even include the fifth part (headlight adjuster rod).
Actually, my shop just zip tied it for me. I could be wrong, but from what I understand, the headlight adjusting rod that actually fits properly is the one from Harold - it's actually custom made. I got mine from a kit that was sold as an M3 kit, but my shop told me its the same as what I've already got in my car - go figure So zip-tie it became.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though...
The headlight adjuster rod?

The m3 one is it's own BMW part

And side by side, the m and non m ones are very differently shaped

If you already had them, wtf did they zip tie?? Lol

Also... The rear arms aren't also TRW are they? I haven't managed to find an OEM example of them, which doesn't help source high-value versions .. No idea why they're so much more expensive than the front otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suprgnat
Quote:
Besides, 30% would be WAY too high a failure rate, even 5-10% is unfeasible.. and wouldn't be able to keep up reasonable supply all over the world in OEM items.
I think a far more likely scenario is that someone at TRW said "Hey, BMW just ordered 5000 widgets. You know, we could manufacture 10000 widgets at our highly efficient German manufacturing plant for not much more than it would take to make 5000, sell the excess on the OEM market and near double our profits. Of course, we would have to grind off any BMW branding as it's illegal for us at TRW to use trademarks we don't own."
Haha.. Yes that does make a ton of sense

Spend all the money on the tooling etc.. Best make as much as possible on it then.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 08:11 AM   #202
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 08:26 AM   #203
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Fair enough

I'm sure their work is good - but i judge a lot based on how they'll work with me as a customer

And to me, that's poor customer service

It's quite simple to say 'we don't warrant any non-genuine parts installed for failure not directly related to improper installation'

Then again, they sound like they get plenty of boring general repair work for that not to matter to them in the least haha
They're quite willing to work with me. As in, I'm installing a csl roof in December. I'll be doing the removal of the interior and roof myself, there, they'll be removing the glass, welding in the brace, gluing in the roof, reinstalling the glass... And then I'll finish assembly there.

Telling the average customer that it was the faulty oem parts they brought and not the install-- people wouldn't be happy. Look how gung-ho people are for oem even in this thread! Most people don't realize oe and oem aren't synonyms.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #204
fe1rx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, 328i, Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Lets talk in the hypothetical...
I find it interesting how readily some of us accept every aftermarket manufacturer's offerings as "upgrades" or "performance" modifications and yet we show great skepticism with respect to OEM parts that are nominally "identical" to OE but for a logo being ground off. The question of why those particular parts are "seconds" certainly is interesting. They could just be excess parts made to ensure an order to the OE was fully filled. They could have some cosmetic blemish. With respect to a TRW suspension link, the bushings are unlikely to be at issue, as they would have been rejected prior to assembly if defective. Selling parts with structural flaws would incur a significant potential liability so is unlikely. A blanket rejection of OEM parts is not sensible. Neither is a blanket acceptance. An informed (or at least educated) risk benefit analysis is appropriate. There is something reassuring about having that M logo on the part, but depending on your budget and mindset, that reassurance may not really be worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #205
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
The headlight adjuster rod?

Also... The rear arms aren't also TRW are they? I haven't managed to find an OEM example of them, which doesn't help source high-value versions .. No idea why they're so much more expensive than the front otherwise.

JTC1428
JTC1429

JTC1430
JTC1431

Check those they are TRW part #s
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #206
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
I completely understand where you're coming from.

But, I already have emails stating they're not factory seconds, and they meet all standards and specifications... They simply make more money selling lower volume stuff as %profit.. Boosts the bottom line.

there's enough people running these to trust their strength and performance, mine are absolutely perfect

BMR here in australia has sold quite a lot of sets locally, with no complaints.

with parts like these, you have to remember, 'not quite meeting spec' can KILL people.. there's no 'not quite at spec'.. there's 'batch is up to standard' or 'batch gets recycled or thrown away' simple.

and the way you say 'OEM (aftermarket)'.. no, it's just not sold to BMW then to the consumer...

there's nothing magical that happens between the factory and it getting sent to BMW to get to you... well.. unless you count a markup as 'magic'

and the 'ground off logo' is simply because they can't legally sell it without grinding off the logo no matter what.

FWIW: ~20,000km on my own set, and i've visually inspected them and the bushes... they may as well still be new for all it matters haha

Besides, 30% would be WAY too high a failure rate, even 5-10% is unfeasible.. and wouldn't be able to keep up reasonable supply all over the world in OEM items.

and lastly, do you think such a company as TRW would risk their name and future business selling potentially defective goods?... enough bad reports and they'd lose future contracts, like said BMW M3 control arm production.

ED: and for the 'even water pumps' comment... well when you're not even guaranteed to crack 60k miles on an OEBMW one, there's absolutely no harm in going a cheaper third party or OEM imo :P

>

The idea that TRW is actually selling "rejected" or "defective" parts is absurd in this day and age (especially in the lawsuit happy US). I agree, they grind off the M-logo because BMW owns it and sell them out of excess inventory that BMW does not buy. TRW has the contract to make the part, it only makes sense to maximize sales/profits.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #207
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

One reason why they are more, than the fronts is(or shall I say "could be") in the shear numbers of parts needed(worldwide). When people wreck there cars the control arms are designed to snap off(at least the alloy ones are). More people crash or wreck the front of the cars than the rear end. Also the front right takes its toll/beating with everyday pot holes and curbing. So more front end parts will be needed for the various OE and OEM part sources vs the rears. More parts sales usually means a lower price per unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #208
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
They're quite willing to work with me. As in, I'm installing a csl roof in December. I'll be doing the removal of the interior and roof myself, there, they'll be removing the glass, welding in the brace, gluing in the roof, reinstalling the glass... And then I'll finish assembly there.
strange, after you just said they don't like working with 'non-geniune' parts... yet they're willing to work with another person's potentially bad work?

over here it's usually the opposite.. they won't touch someone elses work just in case the work is bad, and they can't prove they didn't cause the problem

OTOH, they're happy to work with non-geniune parts as it's VERY easy to say 'it's not genuine, it's bad, it's not our fault'

very backwards shop! haha

that particular job (CSL roof) .. well that's not a good example though, as it's an OEBMW item.. would they be happy to do it were it not a BMW item?

Quote:
Telling the average customer that it was the faulty oem parts they brought and not the install-- people wouldn't be happy. Look how gung-ho people are for oem even in this thread! Most people don't realize oe and oem aren't synonyms.
in this thread THEY ARE.. Original Equipment purchased from the Original Equipment Manufacturer's brand.

the TRW control arms you purchase are EXACTLY THE SAME ITEMS you get from BMW

in other BMW's, MEYLE HD have been EXACTLY THE SAME (especially for sways)

oil filters - EXACTLY THE SAME

as are the water pumps (and they suck just as much :P), spark plugs, coils

the OEM items have been discovered to be 100% identical in every single way to the OEBMW items in many MANY cases.

these aren't a third party aftermarket 'OEM (in other cases)' manufacturing cheaper versions.. they are the original version.

Quote:
One reason why they are more, than the fronts is(or shall I say "could be") in the shear numbers of parts needed(worldwide). When people wreck there cars the control arms are designed to snap off(at least the alloy ones are). More people crash or wreck the front of the cars than the rear end. Also the front right takes its toll/beating with everyday pot holes and curbing. So more front end parts will be needed for the various OE and OEM part sources vs the rears. More parts sales usually means a lower price per unit.

that makes sense.. high speed frontal impact = breaking front arms

high speed rear impact = extreme rarity?

why does the front right take more of a beating on average than front left? my car sees roughly even potholes left to right haha
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:12 AM   #209
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
in this thread THEY ARE.. Original Equipment purchased from the Original Equipment Manufacturer's brand.

the OEM items have been discovered to be 100% identical in every single way to the OEBMW items in many MANY cases.

these aren't a third party aftermarket 'OEM (in other cases)' manufacturing cheaper versions.. they are the original version.
Amusingly, two of the examples you gave (water pumps and coils) were the exact examples he gave me of why he refused to install OEM parts and would only do OE. Water pumps in particular he mentioned being a huge pain in slightly leaking or having a bad bearing that would present itself after a couple thousand miles.

Honestly, I don't think we're going to agree on this. 7 years ago, I was right there with you and though they were the same part for a lower price. Nothing anybody posted would have convinced me otherwise.

But, 7 years later and having dealt with OEM parts issues... I'd rather pay the extra and have everything go properly. At this point I've had enough OEM part issues that nothing is going to convince me otherwise, and I'll stick with OE.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #210
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy
Quote:
strange, after you just said they don't like working with 'non-geniune' parts... yet they're willing to work with another person's potentially bad work?

over here it's usually the opposite.. they won't touch someone elses work just in case the work is bad, and they can't prove they didn't cause the problem

OTOH, they're happy to work with non-geniune parts as it's VERY easy to say 'it's not genuine, it's bad, it's not our fault'

very backwards shop! haha

that particular job (CSL roof) .. well that's not a good example though, as it's an OEBMW item.. would they be happy to do it were it not a BMW item?

Quote:

Quote:

that makes sense.. high speed frontal impact = breaking front arms

high speed rear impact = extreme rarity?

why does the front right take more of a beating on average than front left? my car sees roughly even potholes left to right haha
I assume in dack's case the front right takes more punishment because they have LHD cars there. In RHD markets, it's actually our left fronts which take more strain due to roundabouts only going one direction. I assume.
      10-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #211
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Quote:
Lets talk in the hypothetical...
I'd much rather see your actual evidence that these parts are somehow functionally defective.

Quote:
When a parts supplier makes "widgets" for a big automobile company and say 30% of those "widgets" fail to meet the automobile manufacture's design criteria... What do you think happeto all those parts that did not meet the OE design specs? They get sold as OEM parts - they are not gonna throw "almost" good parts away! Sometimes the company's name even gets grounded off the casting.
I would guess they do get thrown away (or more likely recycled) if they don't pass QA. Now, blemished or cosmetic defects, I might buy that. Certainly a giant grind mark is a cosmetic issue...

If you think there is a real problem, I ask that you be specific about it. You're making a lot of generalizations with no evidence.

The real question comes when we see that there is such an abundant supply. If they were seconds or failed parts, they would be in extremely limited supply.

30% is an INSANE failure rate. I would be amazed if TRW, in order to get a deal with BMW, would not have to have a manufacturing quality process certification (such as ISO 9001), and that kind of failure rate would never fly. Even 1% would be atrocious. When you are certified like that, you can get in trouble for slipping out failed parts to gray markets, as you are beholden for everything that goes out the door. That's just not how the manufacturing industry works these days. Maybe back in the 80's... Unless these were stolen out of a dumpster, which they would never do due to the cost of the aluminum they already processed, I don't see them being structurally or functionally defective. Assuming they are seems silly.

You are also able to make your own choices, but I think you are spreading FUD.
      10-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #212
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Did some quick googling. Here is a link to a same vendor agreement from TRW citing ISO 9000, 9001, etc.:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.eWU&cad=rja

Here is info on ISO and what it means for certified manufacturers:
http://globalpurchasing.com/counterf...nic-components
"Franchised distributors guarantee direct manufacturer traceability for all products, with pass-through warranties where needed, along with the best-in-class warehouse and process controls such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ESD 20:20 certification. "

So, TRW can't just dump bad parts off on the gray market. They could lose their ISO cert for that, and in turn lose all their OE business with companies like BMW if they lost their cert.

Further searching, they are ISO 26262 certified, which covers safety of road going vehicles. They could get in deep poopy for dumping these control arms ANYWHERE if they were in fact somehow faulty.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_26262

Can we put this to rest now?
      10-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #213
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Amusingly, two of the examples you gave (water pumps and coils) were the exact examples he gave me of why he refused to install OEM parts and would only do OE. Water pumps in particular he mentioned being a huge pain in slightly leaking or having a bad bearing that would present itself after a couple thousand miles.

Honestly, I don't think we're going to agree on this. 7 years ago, I was right there with you and though they were the same part for a lower price. Nothing anybody posted would have convinced me otherwise.

But, 7 years later and having dealt with OEM parts issues... I'd rather pay the extra and have everything go properly. At this point I've had enough OEM part issues that nothing is going to convince me otherwise, and I'll stick with OE.
No, the N54 for example..:

The OEM water pump is a mere $3 cheaper than the BMW one...

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ump/ES2598223/

vs

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ump/ES2622808/

there is absolutely zero difference in getting the VDO one.

it is physically impossible to go 'nah OEM is worse than OEBMW' when they are THE SAME PART... anything that's thought about them bein worse is simply bad luck, you can get bad OEBMW parts just as often as bad 'genuine' ones....

the only reason you think you're getting a better part is you're paying more, because you're a sucker for a branding...

as below, manufacturers have certain standards they MUST MAINTAIN for certifications... selling potentially defective parts could cost these companies tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, for a few million in profit at best.

Assuming that business is as stupid as you seem to be implying is ridiculous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post
Did some quick googling. Here is a link to a same vendor agreement from TRW citing ISO 9000, 9001, etc.:

"Franchised distributors guarantee direct manufacturer traceability for all products, with pass-through warranties where needed, along with the best-in-class warehouse and process controls such as ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and ESD 20:20 certification. "

So, TRW can't just dump bad parts off on the gray market. They could lose their ISO cert for that, and in turn lose all their OE business with companies like BMW if they lost their cert.

Further searching, they are ISO 26262 certified, which covers safety of road going vehicles. They could get in deep poopy for dumping these control arms ANYWHERE if they were in fact somehow faulty.

thanks!

sadly i don't think you'll convince them .. especially going by the above post.

Even discounting that ISO9001 dictates minimum quality and document control standards... and that failure rates would be anywhere near enough to keep stores stocked... If they were factory seconds, i'm almost certain other standards would dictate they wouldn't be able to be sold as firsts?

Last edited by flinchy; 10-10-2013 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #214
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
No, the N54 for example..:

The OEM water pump is a mere $3 cheaper than the BMW one...

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ump/ES2598223/

vs

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E82-135...ump/ES2622808/

there is absolutely zero difference in getting the VDO one.

it is physically impossible to go 'nah OEM is worse than OEBMW' when they are THE SAME PART... anything that's thought about them bein worse is simply bad luck, you can get bad OEBMW parts just as often as bad 'genuine' ones....

the only reason you think you're getting a better part is you're paying more, because you're a sucker for a branding...

as below, manufacturers have certain standards they MUST MAINTAIN for certifications... selling potentially defective parts could cost these companies tens or hundreds of millions of dollars, for a few million in profit at best.

Assuming that business is as stupid as you seem to be implying is ridiculous.
You're certainly welcome to think whatever you'd like. Based on some of the things you've done to your car... I won't be putting any stock in it

Plus, direct experience to the contrary of what you're saying.

Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #215
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
You're certainly welcome to think whatever you'd like. Based on some of the things you've done to your car... I won't be putting any stock in it

Plus, direct experience to the contrary of what you're saying.
what do you mean things I've done to my car?

M3 control arms, Sway bar, coilovers, wheels+non-RFT... aftermarket head-unit... planned M3 rear subframe+LSD+solid bushes... 135i brakes... and N54 build + swap?

those are bad things to do? well shit, better let the whole forum know how bad their modifications are... And going by the impressive list of modifications on your M3, you must be disgusted with yourself!

uhhh i'm pretty sure out of the two of us, i'm the one with direct experience with these control arms... therefore i'm the one with the better knowledge here?

Not to mention the ability to reason, and apply logic to this situation... your posts entirely lack logic.

ED: i should mention, that yes, i think that 'third party' OEM may sometimes be inferior to first party OEM (a la these control arms)... but when buying 'first party' OEM, you're 100% absolutely getting the same product.

if you're buying an item from a manufacturer that may not be the one that supplies 'genuine' parts, then you're getting into POTENTIALLY hazy territory depending on the part.... take Meyle HD sway bars or something... you're probably pretty right with them as a third party.. but some random china part? ehhhhhhhh

Last edited by flinchy; 10-10-2013 at 08:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #216
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
I find it interesting how readily some of us accept every aftermarket manufacturer's offerings as "upgrades" or "performance" modifications and yet we show great skepticism with respect to OEM parts that are nominally "identical" to OE but for a logo being ground off.
I would argue the majority of the aftermarket is complete junk and that OEM parts are a bad choice.

Quote:
what do you mean things I've done to my car?

M3 control arms, Sway bar, coilovers, wheels+non-RFT... aftermarket head-unit... planned M3 rear subframe+LSD+solid bushes... 135i brakes... and N54 build + swap?

those are bad things to do? well shit, better let the whole forum know how bad their modifications are... And going by the impressive list of modifications on your M3, you must be disgusted with yourself!
I would guess he is referring to your modding style of cheaping out at every possible opportunity. I mean hell, you own a BMS Powerbox.
      10-11-2013, 05:29 AM   #217
Obioban
Emperor
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Meh, I the powerbox is awful, but I think the 135 brakes are the worst downgrade he did. Then again, I do despise aftermarket head units in BMWs... Maybe that's the worst example. Then again, solid bushings in a street driven car are terrible.

So many choices, hard to pick a worst example.

Either way, clear to me that he and I are NOT on the same page when it comes to what constitutes quality parts.

Last edited by Obioban; 10-11-2013 at 05:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #218
miro2296
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Montego Blue BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon View Post

BMW 135i/6 Speed/Montego Blue/Formula One Ceramic Tint/JB4 G4/AA Sport Intercooler/19 inch Iconz 880Z(19X8.5 & 19X10)/PSS 225/35 & 265/30/E93 M3 front sway bar/TRW front and rear Control Arms/BMS Drop In Filter/Dinan Exhaust/BlackLines/Upgraded \\\M RSFB
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #219
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
I would argue the majority of the aftermarket is complete junk and that OEM parts are a bad choice.

I would guess he is referring to your modding style of cheaping out at every possible opportunity. I mean hell, you own a BMS Powerbox.
So... you have a completely stock unmodified car? :P

when have i cheaped out? it was like $400 anyway...

there's no other 'tuning' options here in Australia haha... besides, i haven't cheaped out on anything else? i'm spending something like $10k rebuilding the engine ffs. (no budget, but it's what i'm working it out to about)

Unless you count this thread as 'cheaping out'?... Maybe i'm just not a sucker, and like getting value for money?
Quote:
Meh, I the powerbox is awful, but I think the 135 brakes are the worst downgrade he did. Then again, I do despise aftermarket head units in BMWs... Maybe that's the worst example. Then again, solid bushings in a street driven car are terrible.

So many choices, hard to pick a worst example.

Either way, clear to me that he and I are NOT on the same page when it comes to what constitutes quality parts.
So i take it you think the JB4 is terrible too?... yeah the powerbox wasn't optimal, but it worked, and got rid of the throttle lag when i wasn't used to it. What would you have suggested that doesn't cost ~$1500 for 10hp?.. And that i can actually get in australia!

Uh... downgrade? .. single piston 330m+single piston 300mm.. to 6 piston 338mm+2 piston 325mm... are a downgrade?? (yes i get that as brembos go, they kinda suck, with weak pistons...) but firstly, to get it street legal, i have to put in brakes from the car the engine is coming from.. secondly, yes i realized afterwards that 1M brakes would also be ok, but much harder to find for reasonable money... but i'll be likely going to them, when i do eventually find a set (when the rears come 9/10 times with the M3 rear subframe)

Getting it engineered as road legal with 'better' aftermarket brakes (would love a stoptech set), would be near impossible with the swap on top of it... However, once the swap is done and plated as 'legal', it's somehow much easier to go a BBK then.

And, not a cheap swap for either...

Aftermarket Headunits... again, showing you don't really know everything at all.. the factory head unit and stereo is TERRIBLE, and any 'drop in' upgrade is neutered right from the start... so an alpine head unit (9887 being one of the better SQ ones, and i had it from my previous two cars) with a H701 or H800 + 3 way active seemed like fun to me .. Plus, with the nice fascia, and the fact it still has orange lights.. it actually looks pretty damn good, doesn't 'jump' out at you... the added functionality and quality is just a huge bonus on top of that.... so yes, such a bad idea upgrading to a competition grade stereo >_>, and even cheaping out on JL/ amps...

Sure, i could have kept the stock head unit and wired the new on in sorta parallel like some people do.. but it's a huge waste of effort, and a pain in the ass finding somewhere to hide it, as well as the difficulty added wiring it in.

and shit, 3 things in one post? Solid subframe bushings (not engine or transmission) add next to no NVH, but are a vast improvement over rubber or poly alternatives for feel and performance.... you realize the new M3/M4 is going solid in the subframe.. right? and the F10 M5 is solid?

Plus, there's another guy in Australia getting the M3 rear put in... with the solid bushings from turner, and a few more of us wanting to either get a set custom made or buy a few... instead of the M3 ones for the same price.

Oh, and if you also don't like the fact i have BC coilovers... people with M3's put them on their cars, i *did* get a VERY good deal on them, they're SHITLOADS better than OEM 'sport' suspension with 70k miles, and i'll be upgrading to something much fancier after the engine is in.

yeah... we're pretty clearly not on the same page, you're quite a few pages behind?

Last edited by flinchy; 10-11-2013 at 10:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #220
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
So... you have a completely stock unmodified car?
I have everything from headers to double adjustable coilovers. If you are looking for unmodified you are barking up the wrong tree. It's a pretty safe bet I have the most modified 128i in the world period.