BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Kiety
The ONE
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i Cabriolet

Convertible + Winter

Well with my 135i cabrio on order, been pondering about how to deal with winter. I'm in canada so winter tires are a must. Can anyone give me some first hand experience as to how soft tops handles rain/snow? As much as I like the Lexus, I'd love to be able to drive the bmw year round.

So i have a few questions:

1) Will the soft top leak during heavy rainfall?
2) Will the top succumb to 10-20cm of snow?
3) How well do modern tops insulate against the cold (I'm in vancouver so we don't see much worse than -10 celcius usually)
4) How fun is it to drift around in an empty parking lot after fresh snowfall top down like a lunatic :thumbup: !!

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

1. It shouldn't leak - if it does, it would be a warranty issue. Of the 2 BMW convertibles I've owned, only one ever leaked. It amounted to a few drops in a fairly heavy rainstorm and was quickly remedied by my dealer.

One thing to be aware of however - a soft top doesn't have ridges to channel the water away, so there might be some annoying drips when you open the door with a wet top.

2. I seriously doubt it - just gently brush the snow off. And since the rear window is glass, it can be cleaned like any other window.

3. The lined top on my '03 Z4 is very comfortable. Since the 1 cabrio I test drove is quieter than my Z, I suspect it's insulation is even better.

4. As mine stays garaged in winter, you're on your own - just turn up the heat and enjoy!

Seriously, the only real downside to a modern convertible is the restricted rear and side vision. And you are spot on with the winter tires - personally, I like the Dunlop M sport series as the handling on dry pavement is much better than the Q rated designs.
Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Kiety
The ONE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
One thing to be aware of however - a soft top doesn't have ridges to channel the water away, so there might be some annoying drips when you open the door with a wet top.
no worries, I've grown accustomed to our 97 A4 that was TERRIBLE at channeling water, every time I goto open the door I instinctively drew back as far as I could into the car to avoid getting a surprise shower. Albeit the AWD + winter tires did wonders come wintertime.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
knightps
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i

I had a soft top 325i in upstate NY, south of Montreal. It was plenty warm and the snow didn't bother it. The big issue is the windows would freeze so they couldn't go down the little bit they do when you opened the door. This would suck because when you closed the door the windows would bow out because they would hit the roof. I would have to open the top slightly and close the door to the reseat the window into the roof. For that reason I will not get another convertible unless it doesn't see the winter at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
felixdahousecat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Haha, oh how I love living in Canada
22cm in one afternoon here in cowtown yesterday! And its all melted this morning.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

If I can live with an S2000 as a daily driver year round for the past three years the 1'er should be a breeze.

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #7
Kiety
The ONE
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringinthewolf View Post
If I can live with an S2000 as a daily driver year round for the past three years the 1'er should be a breeze.
any special caring instructions from a veteran? seeing as we'll both have SGM 135i cabrio

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #8
Bringinthewolf
1 for the road
Canada
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i Cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiety View Post
any special caring instructions from a veteran? seeing as we'll both have SGM 135i cabrio
Park under cover and call in sick when it snows.

Appreciate 0