BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Vorsprung_CJB
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Hitting 50k, fluids to change?

Recently got the indicator brake fluid change as I am approaching 50k miles, so I wanted to see if there are any other fluids I should change out. The diff has definitely been extra grumpy this winter, especially going on-off throttle, so I was thinking of changing that, so might as well do transmission too? I've also read that PS fluid comes up around 50k as well? Even if these aren't technically on the maintenance schedule yet I thought It would be nice to flush them out for better than OEM versions going forward. Also looking to do the walnut shell blasting around the same time just to have everything covered. What do you all think, and can you recommend any specific products?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

Yup it's a perfect time. I changed my "lifetime" fluids at 63K. PS, rear diff, manual gear box and antifreeze. I would wait on the antifreeze though, because you should change out your water pump around 60K (mine went at 72k) and they will change the anti-freeze then along with the thermostat. hope that helps
Not sure where you are in PA but I went to Bimmerworks in West Chester. They are a very good indy shop.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
Vorsprung_CJB
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA135i View Post
Yup it's a perfect time. I changed my "lifetime" fluids at 63K. PS, rear diff, manual gear box and antifreeze. I would wait on the antifreeze though, because you should change out your water pump around 60K (mine went at 72k) and they will change the anti-freeze then along with the thermostat. hope that helps
Not sure where you are in PA but I went to Bimmerworks in West Chester. They are a very good indy shop.
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some searching here of course, but what fluids did you go with for diff and trans? How are they in year-round PA weather? I assume stock PS fluid is fine.

I've heard of Bimmerworks a lot, I mainly use Autobahn in Horsham for small things, but I was considering VAC if I need the walnut shell too.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

My fluids were BMW spec. But Bimmerworks will use whatever fluids you want. They will also do the induction cleaning there. My dealer did that for me because I got a warning light under 50K, so it was free.
Sparkling Graphite Metallic / 6MT / Terracotta Boston Leather / Sport Package / Comfort Access system / Gray Poplar wood trim / Heated front seats / iPod and USB adapter / HD radio / Premium hi-fi system / OE Tuning / VRSF Intercooler & charge pipe / BMW Performance short shift kit / BMW M Performance Handbrake Handle / BMW Stainless steel pedals / V1 hardwired / rear sun shades Pennsylvania 20 electoral votes
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Hops128i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i, manual, sport pkg

just wondering if a coolant change before the water pump replacement might extend the life of the cooling system. But I've read here the cooling system is a BMW weak point so you're going to replace it anyway?
      01-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #6
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

When the water pump is replaced they replace the coolant and thermostat. There is a thread here that has a poll on water pump failures and it seems that 60k is a good time to replace it before failure. My water pump went at 72k and was stranded. If I wasn't close to home I would have had to be towed.

I don't think you need to change the coolant if you are changing out the water pump around 60k. If this car had a long life water pump .. I would change the coolant at 50k... But why do that when the water pump is ticking time bomb in these cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #7
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Inspection II diff and trans fluid change was 20,000 miles ago, so you are quite a bit overdue. Coolant and brake fluid should be refreshed and flushed at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsprung_CJB View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll do some searching here of course, but what fluids did you go with for diff and trans? How are they in year-round PA weather? I assume stock PS fluid is fine.

I've heard of Bimmerworks a lot, I mainly use Autobahn in Horsham for small things, but I was considering VAC if I need the walnut shell too.
Bimmerworks is an absolutely fantastic shop, I can't recommend them enough. VAC in my experience is complete garbage. Shoddy work, poor construction, and often a complete disregard for the customer.
      03-13-2014, 02:41 PM   #8
Brake_L8
Ambitious But Rubbish
Rep
Drives: '09 128i | '97 M3

I'm at nearly 48k now, and I plan on doing oil/filter, spark plugs (have an intermittent misfire), brake fluid, and trans/diff.

The car was maintained on BMW's lease schedule before I got it, which (to me) means it was entirely neglected. Time to fix that.
Now: '09 128i/6 Sport/Premium/Cold Weather | '97 M3/4/5 #404 TTD

Then: '95 Miata | '91 535i | '96 328i | '95 325i | '13 Focus ST
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #9
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
I'm at nearly 48k now, and I plan on doing oil/filter, spark plugs (have an intermittent misfire), brake fluid, and trans/diff.

The car was maintained on BMW's lease schedule before I got it, which (to me) means it was entirely neglected. Time to fix that.
Add a coolant flush.
      03-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #10
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Red Line is a good alternative to BMW fluids for rear end and manual transmission. You can mail order from JEGS (and others).

For brake fluid, I think anything that is the right "dot" is fine but get a new bottle. I think bimmers use dot 4. The main reason to change brake fluid is it is hydroscopic - it picks up moisture from exposure to air. That moisture degrades the calipers and lines. Flushing it and refilling with new dry fluid avoids that (or minimizes it). Using an old bottle of brake fluid that you have sitting around reduces or eliminates the benefit of changing it. If you are racing, maybe you want really good DOT 4 but for most of us, any DOT 4 will be fine - if it is nice and dry.
      03-21-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

At 60k i did:

Oil change because it was due: Motul 5-40 with a mann filter
Transmission fluid drain and fill: Redline D6
Diff Fluid drain and fill: Redline 75w140
Spark plugs: Bosch
Brake fluid flush: Dot4
Valve cleaning