BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-09-2011, 09:36 AM   #1
135tii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M received 6/11/11!!!!

Question Oil consumption

I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding oil consumption. As a follow up most responded no significant oil consumption. I put a quart in at 800 miles, 1st service at 1300 (oil change), another quart at 2100 miles and now at 2500 it is asking for another quart!!! The break-in was per the owners manual and I do not drive the car hard, can't find any oil leaks. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have not been to the dealer to discuss this yet.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
AM1N
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Was your car on a slight hill or steep driveway when the oil indicator came on? Thats the only thing i can think of. I got my 1200 mile change, then added another at around 4000 (normal), and im at 7000 now and i suspect another one within the next 1000 miles. M engines eat a lot of oil, and it also depends on how hard you drive the war, but at 2100 and 2500; thats just not normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #3
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

I'm only at 2600miles but have not had to put in any oil, even on slight inclines/declines no light.

I did have the run-in at 1200.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135tii View Post
I posted a couple of weeks ago regarding oil consumption. As a follow up most responded no significant oil consumption. I put a quart in at 800 miles, 1st service at 1300 (oil change), another quart at 2100 miles and now at 2500 it is asking for another quart!!! The break-in was per the owners manual and I do not drive the car hard, can't find any oil leaks. Any thoughts or suggestions? I have not been to the dealer to discuss this yet.

Thanks!
I'd certainly visit the dealer as your oil use is abnormally high.

It's also possible that your rings have not seated properly because you did not drive the car hard enough during break-in.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

It's also possible that your rings have not seated properly because you did not drive the car hard enough during break-in.

Neil
^^that was what I was thinking about too. I would get the engine good and hot! Then go out on an empty highway... put the car in 3rd or 4th gear... take it up to 6K rpms and then let the car coast in gear... 4K to 6K rev range. Do this about ten times. WOT then coast in gear. This should seat your rings nicely.

After that IF you still have oil consumption problem... I would start having your dealer documenting it.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #6
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135tii View Post

Thanks!

Neil
I think you've hit the nail on the head - exactly my thoughts.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:17 AM   #7
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

i am not so sure i agree with everyone. my car too is going through a lot of oil. i am at 5k and had to add two quarts the other day. my reason for saying so is that i 100% put my car through its paces during the break in period.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:26 AM   #8
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Whatever you do DON'T overfill the engine, this can do damage as well!
      11-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
swimfreak
Orange Crush
Rep
Drives: fun!!!

2500 miles here, an not even a blip on the engine oil indicator. Normally at this point, I pull out the dipstick, and check...

That's been bugging me more and more that I have to rely on a couple sensors to tell me what a 30 second inspection and a towel can confirm.

Does the oil indicator tell you how much oil to put in, or is it a guessing game of sorts?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #10
Mnime
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

the oil indicated "dinged" add a quart when it was time for mine. i have added a quart and 1/2 or so with under 6k miles since the run in service. but i have seen 4 track days too. i asked my service guy about it and he said for M's a quart every 1 to 2K is not uncommon. im not seeing any smoke, leaks, or overly black exhaust either.

my RX8 was the worst though....
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
Whatever you do DON'T overfill the engine, this can do damage as well!

As you guys know... it could also be that your electronic oil dip stick has gone bad. Perhaps the only real way to tell IF the OP's engine is consuming oil is to drain it out and measure it. Then put some "fresh" oil in. Do the same in a few thousand miles for safe measure.

I seem to recall that a lot of short trips where the engine never gets fully hot can lead to false oil level readings. And of course you coudl just have a bad oil level sensor.

Here is a pdf on the oil level sensor and how it works...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_oil_condition_sensor.pdf (82.8 KB, 423 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
As you guys know... it could also be that your electronic oil dip stick has gone bad. Perhaps the only real way to tell IF the OP's engine is consuming oil is to drain it out and measure it. Then put some "fresh" oil in. Do the same in a few thousand miles for safe measure.

I seem to recall that a lot of short trips where the engine never gets fully hot can lead to false oil level readings. And of course you coudl just have a bad oil level sensor.

Here is a pdf on the oil level sensor and how it works...
I love technology, but I miss a simple dip stick...
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 07:01 PM   #13
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
No kidding, there should be a dipstick.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #14
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delrin View Post
I love technology, but I miss a simple dip stick...

Me too. But don't worry BMW has seen the error of their ways... the new F20 has a dip stick. I heard from BMW that the F20 engine is the first new engine to get a dip stick. So hopefully on future engines we will see it return.

Oil dip stick seen on the new F20 at IAA...
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...+oil+dip+stick

Dackel.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Is the (lack of) dipstick a major issue on porsche boards? Just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
I like the e-dipstick just fine, it's nice the be able to analyze the oil levels from inside the cabin while driving. I just don't understand why you can't have both?
      11-10-2011, 04:28 AM   #17
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
^^that was what I was thinking about too. I would get the engine good and hot! Then go out on an empty highway... put the car in 3rd or 4th gear... take it up to 6K rpms and then let the car coast in gear... 4K to 6K rev range. Do this about ten times. WOT then coast in gear. This should seat your rings nicely.

After that IF you still have oil consumption problem... I would start having your dealer documenting it.

Dackel
Dackel,

I've got 965 miles on my car now and I have a few times stretched it up to 5500rpm, but not on WOT. The only reason I've not used WOT is the book told me not to. However, I do not want to have an oil consumption problem later on, so is it recommend to use WOT a few times do you think?

Most of my driving has been fairly gentle, changing gear at around 3000rpm. Sometimes I go to 4000rpm and on occasion I stretch around to 5500rpm on half throttle, then let the car settle down using engine braking.

My service indicator (for my run in service) is showing that I have another 340 miles to go before the service is due. Do you think it's too late for me now, or do you think a few spirited drives using WOT would help me?

Bottom line, I don't want to do the car any damage, nor do I want BMW to plug the car in and say that I've been driving it too hard. Equally, I don't want to have an oil problem later on....
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 06:47 AM   #18
greygoose
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
4250 miles and no oil needed so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #19
ESC OFF
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, CaymanS, 914, 500 Abarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Is the (lack of) dipstick a major issue on porsche boards? Just wondering.
Some people complain that they don't "trust" the sensor...I've never had an issue. It does take significantly longer for the P-Car to analyze the level though, not sure why??

I just had my 1,200 mile service yesterday and I specifically asked about the oil level of the oil removed, my tech said that the oil level was "full" when it was drained.

By comparison my 135i (N54) went through a quart in the first 3,000 miles and after that it never went down at all.
      11-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC OFF View Post
Some people complain that they don't "trust" the sensor...I've never had an issue. It does take significantly longer for the P-Car to analyze the level though, not sure why??

Yea... Porsche is the company with über engineers!

I remember a Porsche tech friend taking me out in the a new 996 when they first came out. The 996 has a digital countdown gauge to tell you in so many minutes the oil level gauge will be working - showing you the oil level. I think it took about 96 minutes of driving before you could see the oil level. That is just going off my memory though.

Porsche has had an oil level gauge in their 911's - almost from day one! Back in the 1960's. Infact on the older 911 cars... they had an oil door built into the right rear quarter pannel. Too many owners filled their oil tanks with gasoline instead oil!! This only lasted a few years before Porsche moved the oil dip stick to the motor bay and added a oil fill cap to the motor.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #21
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
I like the e-dipstick just fine, it's nice the be able to analyze the oil levels from inside the cabin while driving. I just don't understand why you can't have both?
you can. my X5 diesel has both a dipstick and the e-gauge.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #22
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Dackel,

I've got 965 miles on my car now and I have a few times stretched it up to 5500rpm, but not on WOT. The only reason I've not used WOT is the book told me not to. However, I do not want to have an oil consumption problem later on, so is it recommend to use WOT a few times do you think?

Most of my driving has been fairly gentle, changing gear at around 3000rpm. Sometimes I go to 4000rpm and on occasion I stretch around to 5500rpm on half throttle, then let the car settle down using engine braking.

My service indicator (for my run in service) is showing that I have another 340 miles to go before the service is due. Do you think it's too late for me now, or do you think a few spirited drives using WOT would help me?

Bottom line, I don't want to do the car any damage, nor do I want BMW to plug the car in and say that I've been driving it too hard. Equally, I don't want to have an oil problem later on....

No Chris. I was talking post break-in miles - in my above post. After you have put on 1,200 miles taking it easy like you described... then by all means start to get more agressive. I would "exercise" the motor GRADUALLY! After you have put on 1,200 miles... start taking the motor revs up to 5K and then coast in gear back down. Then in a hundred or so mile later say 6K and then later go up too 7K. First do it at part throttle up to those rpms - then 3/4 and then FULL throttle runs. ALl the time allowing the engine to "engine brake" from high rpms down to say 3K or 4K rpms. This will let the rings seat. Its best to use third or fourth gears IF you can find the right road.

I also changed my oil (a lot) for the first few thousand miles. I changed my oil & filter at 1,200 miles, 2,400 miles, 5K miles, 7K miles. Then after that I changed my oil every 4K to 6K miles. I am a bit of old school thinking... that the best oil is new oil.

I also had seen 1addict member "Wolfe" make a great posting about the stuff he found inside of his oil filter after he changed it. All the blue silicone particles and of course metal shavings that we all know are left over inside of a new motor. I think its best to change ones oil a few times on a new motor.

Check out post #27... for those oil filter pics. Also check out the very first page of his thread. This a great refference - a must read for the entire thread. I have lots of pics in this thread as well.

DIY: manual transmission and diff fluid change

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...+change&page=2

Dackel
Appreciate 0