BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #1
Morning Wood
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

No oil in the catch can?

Recently installed the bms catch can about a month and some change ago after completing a full tune-up and walnut blast. Went to check for oil and there was none in the can. None as in not even a small film on the inside. Double checked the instructions once again and everything is on correctly. I also did install an RB pcv valve. Is this common? Anyone using both and have little to no oil? 95k miles on my n54.

notes from rb's website:
-The solution will only fix the OEM PCV valve itself and not a leaky valve cover gasket, which is also a very common problem on the N54 Engine. We do recommend if EVER pulling off the valve cover to always replace the OEM gasket with a new one and use a light amount of high quality sealant around these pressurization ports that are fed through each intake port.

-The RB PCV Valve solution will not negate the Pro's of Oil Catch Cans, but could reduce what they otherwise collect. It also could be reasoned that those who catch a TON of oil have a less "healthy" internal valve cover PCV valve or PCV systems, or alternatively engines that produce excess blowby.

-The RB PCV uses only Genuine OEM core PCV Valves offering the absolute best performance and quality. There are none available (nor will there ever be) that beat the performance of this valve.
- See more at: http://www.rbturbo.com/rbpcv#sthash.dikcrBZE.dpuf
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
From what I've been reading online, yes with RB PCV there will be less. I will be checking mine in a couple of weeks during an oil change and can follow back up with you.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
daflamme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MT

I get it empty once a year on my n55 and last fall beforre storage it was completely dry
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #4
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

sounds like the RB solution works and works so well that the cc may not even be necessary unless you go stage two.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Catch cans are a complete and total scam. Even on motors with tons of crap in the PCV they only catch a portion--you get a sample but the same stuff is still going into your motor. It IS possible to make a good air / oil + water separator but it will cost more than these catch cans and probably require annoying / expensive maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 11:11 PM   #6
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
Catch cans are a complete and total scam. Even on motors with tons of crap in the PCV they only catch a portion--you get a sample but the same stuff is still going into your motor. It IS possible to make a good air / oil + water separator but it will cost more than these catch cans and probably require annoying / expensive maintenance.
How is it a scam if they catch a portion of the blow by, as you just said... I haven't seen a manufacturer claim that an OCC stops blow by or removes the need to walnut blast, just helps slightly.

OP I went to change mine in the spring and had nothing in the can - what was in there had become a thin oily film on the inside of the catch can after the water evaporated in storage. It was hard to see, had to use a flashlight. With your mods, I wouldn't expect to see any significant collection for some time.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #7
Morning Wood
Rep

Well I pulled the trigger on RB's external pcv kit while waiting for parts to come in. I don't have smoking issues but more for preventative purposes. The lowside has been reported to catch more oil than the highside.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 09:55 PM   #8
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Catch cans are dumb as shit. They're a complete scam and besides that they're EXTREMELY overpriced for what they are. What the manufacturers neglect to tell you is that they catch a SAMPLE of your pcv vapors. The only real solution is so get rid of these vapors by dumping them overboard.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #9
Morning Wood
Rep

Quote:
Catch cans are dumb as shit. They're a complete scam and besides that they're EXTREMELY overpriced for what they are. What the manufacturers neglect to tell you is that they catch a SAMPLE of your pcv vapors. The only real solution is so get rid of these vapors by dumping them overboard.
Some is better than none right? I've done my research. At least they're not as worthless as carbon fiber cosmetics
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 02:49 PM   #10
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

But carbon fiber is pretty.
      05-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #11
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
Some is better than none right? I've done my research. At least they're not as worthless as carbon fiber cosmetics
No, they're equally if not more worthless because what the fuck is the point of removing "some" (not even very much) of your PCV vapors? At least with carbon fiber you get something that looks nice. I don't think the catch can has much aesthetic value.

You could actually make a decent air / water + oil separator but it would be more complicated (and expensive) than a can with a freakin baffle in it which is all these catch cans are. Just eject those vapors overboard, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 04:24 PM   #12
08135IFL
Private
Rep
Drives: N54 135i Coupe

So what is the fix? What does "dumping them overboard" actually mean and how is it done?

I have an OCC from the previous owner and I dumped maybe a tablespoon out after approx 10K miles.

Last edited by 08135IFL; 05-21-2016 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: additonal info
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #13
Morning Wood
Rep

Quote:
No, they're equally if not more worthless because what the fuck is the point of removing "some" (not even very much) of your PCV vapors? At least with carbon fiber you get something that looks nice. I don't think the catch can has much aesthetic value.

You could actually make a decent air / water + oil separator but it would be more complicated (and expensive) than a can with a freakin baffle in it which is all these catch cans are. Just eject those vapors overboard, problem solved.
I'm not well versed when it comes to the n54 pcv system but there are advanced discussions on it, which I've read in its entirety on other forums so I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it. No need to go on a crusade. OCC, no OCC. Carbon fiber, no carbon fiber. Who cares.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #14
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I'm not well versed when it comes to the n54 pcv system but there are advanced discussions on it, which I've read in its entirety on other forums so I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it. No need to go on a crusade. OCC, no OCC. Carbon fiber, no carbon fiber. Who cares.
If you've read advanced discussions on the PCV in their entirety but still aren't well versed on the subject, you didn't understand what you read. So, since you don't know what you're talking about, why you would try to make a judgement on the value of catch cans is really beyond me.

Anyway, it's simple: pressure builds up in the crankcase and needs somewhere to go. Since the pressurized gas also has water and oil vapor emissions regulations demand that it's redirected into the intake so it can be burned and then treated by the cat. I don't know about the N54 in particular but often cars have a simple air / oil separator somewhere in the loop to help remove the oil and water. Obviously they're not that effective since you still end up with a lot of stuff going into the engine.

So to dump the PCV vapors overboard, just run a hose underneath your car from the relevant PCV port. Optionally you can put a filter on it if you're worried about stuff crawling up. Typically people use a VTA catch can with a filter in the engine bay but this is a bad place for it since the vapors will make your engine bay very dirty. You can also have a nipple welded onto the exhaust at an angle and the exhaust gasses will actually suck the PCV vapors out.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 09:22 PM   #15
Morning Wood
Rep

Quote:
If you've read advanced discussions on the PCV in their entirety but still aren't well versed on the subject, you didn't understand what you read. So, since you don't know what you're talking about, why you would try to make a judgement on the value of catch cans is really beyond me.

Anyway, it's simple: pressure builds up in the crankcase and needs somewhere to go. Since the pressurized gas also has water and oil vapor emissions regulations demand that it's redirected into the intake so it can be burned and then treated by the cat. I don't know about the N54 in particular but often cars have a simple air / oil separator somewhere in the loop to help remove the oil and water. Obviously they're not that effective since you still end up with a lot of stuff going into the engine.

So to dump the PCV vapors overboard, just run a hose underneath your car from the relevant PCV port. Optionally you can put a filter on it if you're worried about stuff crawling up. Typically people use a VTA catch can with a filter in the engine bay but this is a bad place for it since the vapors will make your engine bay very dirty. You can also have a nipple welded onto the exhaust at an angle and the exhaust gasses will actually suck the PCV vapors out.
Lol seriously why are you pushing this? It's a lot of information that I don't particularly care to memorize. Crankcase pressure, low side high side vacuum pressure yada yada. Vent to atmosphere isn't ideal. The information is out there so I'm not going to go through tons of pages to prove myself to some keyboard warrior. Lol if anyone thinks OCC's are a waste then don't put them on.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #16
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You're making this out to be a complicated issue. It's really not.

Quote:
Vent to atmosphere isn't ideal.
Why's that?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 08:34 AM   #17
Morning Wood
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about the N54 in particular
Well there's your problem buddy. Do some research instead of resulting to personal insults.
Quote:
You're making this out to be a complicated issue. It's really not.

Why's that?
Not really. The n54's system is not a simple as you think it is. There's alot of information out there and I'm not going through it all to satisfy your ego.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 03:40 PM   #18
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well there's your problem buddy. Do some research instead of resulting to personal insults.

Not really. The n54's system is not a simple as you think it is. There's alot of information out there and I'm not going through it all to satisfy your ego.
Oh, this is rich. You spent time coming back, and back again to reply to my posts...all the while claiming you're an expert on PCV (at the same time admitting you don't understand anything you've read about it, lol, how does that work) but you can't provide a SINGLE fact or piece of information to rebut what I'm saying....interesting.

I went and read up on the N54 PCV (for about 2 minutes, because it's not complicated) and guess what, it functions EXACTLY LIKE THE PCV in every modern turbo car. Guess what, it is EXTREMELY simple and the only reason you think it's complicated is because God's sometimes a little stingy with the IQ points he hands out.

Here's how it works: off boost, the PCV vapors are sucked into the intake manifold by its natural vacuum. On boost, there's obviously no vacuum in the intake manifold so a valve switches the vapors to the turbo inlet which now has a vacuum since it's sucking in air. It's really damn simple.

You clearly don't know ANYTHING about the subject at hand, which is OK, but don't mislead other people when you should KNOW you're unqualified.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
Morning Wood
Rep

Quote:
Oh, this is rich. You spent time coming back, and back again to reply to my posts...all the while claiming you're an expert on PCV (at the same time admitting you don't understand anything you've read about it, lol, how does that work) but you can't provide a SINGLE fact or piece of information to rebut what I'm saying....interesting.

I went and read up on the N54 PCV (for about 2 minutes, because it's not complicated) and guess what, it functions EXACTLY LIKE THE PCV in every modern turbo car. Guess what, it is EXTREMELY simple and the only reason you think it's complicated is because God's sometimes a little stingy with the IQ points he hands out.

Here's how it works: off boost, the PCV vapors are sucked into the intake manifold by its natural vacuum. On boost, there's obviously no vacuum in the intake manifold so a valve switches the vapors to the turbo inlet which now has a vacuum since it's sucking in air. It's really damn simple.

You clearly don't know ANYTHING about the subject at hand, which is OK, but don't mislead other people when you should KNOW you're unqualified.
I never claimed to be an expert. Misleading people? I'm simply saying there is information out there and discussions about both sides of the PCV system on the N54 involving OCC's. I'm not claiming OCC's are some magic gift that everyone needs. Go do your research and make your choice. That simple. I DON't REALLY CARE. Personally I've only spent 500 dollars total on a low side and high side OCC system. I'm happy with it so you're not hurting my feelings lol. If it's anyone who has a complex it's you. Go hug someone. Save the drama for your mama.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #20
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I DON't REALLY CARE.
Haha, really.
Quote:
500 dollars total
Well, there you go.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 02:32 PM   #21
Mr Gasser
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 09 M-Sport Black on Black

I think the improved design of the RB pvc valve seems like a cost effective alternative to the CC.

So where is this valve that switches when on turbo boost? I'm a little lost on that, its not the PVC?.
Appreciate 0