BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Unhappy BMW Rockville/Rockville Collision Center

I don't normally write threads like this, but I'm pretty unhappy with the service from BMW Rockville/BMW Rockville Collision Center. Their customer service is great, the staff are super friendly and helpful, however the quality of work just doesn't seem to be there. As most of you know I was in an accident and had quite a bit of work done by them. I have now had to go back about 5 times to get everything set straight.
List of issues I've had with them:
  • Forgot to replace windshield, had to go back for that
  • Lost parts! They lost some trim including the driver side wheel well liner that took me some time to notice. They ended up having to order a new one and I had to wait for that and then install it.
  • Incorrect programming of light sensor, lights are always on in "auto" mode.
  • Incorrect programming of auto-dim mirrors, they are always completely dimmed.
  • Wrong headlight washer nozzle ordered, couldn't be bothered to wait on this, so I have two "right" nozzles lol.
  • Poor alignment of hood, I fixed this myself in about 10mins... Mind you it's an aftermarket CF hood so not what they're used to.
  • Overspray!!! Found overspray on the car last week, clearly noticeable.

I've also had issues with the regular BMW Rockville Service Center as well, again not so much with staff but with issues getting resolved correctly. Had my water pump replaced and my first SA told me not to worry about doing the thermostat and to save my money. Then I get another SA and they're like, "yeah you definitely should have done the thermostat too, the tech wrote it in the report as a recommendation". Too late now! They say they'll "help me out" if something happens with the t-stat down the road, whatever that means...

I'm sitting in the collision center now waiting for them to fix the overspray as I type this. The overspray was a little much to me. This is a BMW Certified and specialized collision/repair shop, I expected better results, especially with paintwork.

Anyway if you need anything done I don't think I'd recommend them at this point, not worth the premium over an indy with a good rep.
      06-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #2
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Some weeks ago when I had my car at my dealer for service, one of the things they were doing was inspecting the DCT for leaks. I was there waiting, and my SA said they had the car on a lift and the underpanels were off and I asked if I could go back and take a look. So I did and one of the things I noticed was a cable dangling from my engine bay that was hanging down over my fender and all they had to protect my fender was a shop towel and not a fender protector.

I asked about it and my SA said it was a rubber hose not a cable and it was from the brake bleeder to pressurize the brake system to make sure there were no air pockets.

When I got my car back there were light scratches on both fenders because I'm assuming the didn't use fender protectors on either side when working on my car. The scratches were buffed out by my detailer but that's not the point. Fender protectors are made for one purpose. USE THEM! It just makes a person wonder what else they do that is not by the book or what shortcuts they take that I don't know about.

I also noticed that the tech that was working on my car was not wearing gloves and his hands were greasy and he is the one you drove my car up to the front, with those same greasy hands. I talked to the tech for a moment earlier when my car was in the back on a lift and he told me he was new and a recent graduate of UTI. Hasn't had the time to develop bad habits yet so you'd think he'd know better. He must've brought his bad habits with him. Told my SA that I don't want this particular tech working on my car anymore.

I always have my car detailed after servicing so all is clean and shiny now. I have been a loyal customer of this particular BMW dealer since 2008 and this was not their finest moment. Normally I'm very happy with their service, which is one of the reasons I keep going back, plus they give me 15 to 20% discounts on everything. Maybe it was just that one tech, and as I said, I made it clear that I don't want him working on my car any more.
      06-06-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Some weeks ago when I had my car at my dealer for service, one of the things they were doing was inspecting the DCT for leaks. I was there waiting, and my SA said they had the car on a lift and the underpanels were off and I asked if I could go back and take a look. So I did and one of the things I noticed was a cable dangling from my engine bay that was hanging down over my fender and all they had to protect my fender was a shop towel and not a fender protector.

I asked about it and my SA said it was a rubber hose not a cable and it was from the brake bleeder to pressurize the brake system to make sure there were no air pockets.

When I got my car back there were light scratches on both fenders because I'm assuming the didn't use fender protectors on either side when working on my car. The scratches were buffed out by my detailer but that's not the point. Fender protectors are made for one purpose. USE THEM! It just makes a person wonder what else they do that is not by the book or what shortcuts they take that I don't know about.

I also noticed that the tech that was working on my car was not wearing gloves and his hands were greasy and he is the one you drove my car up to the front, with those same greasy hands. I talked to the tech for a moment earlier when my car was in the back on a lift and he told me he was new and a recent graduate of UTI. Hasn't had the time to develop bad habits yet so you'd think he'd know better. He must've brought his bad habits with him. Told my SA that I don't want this particular tech working on my car anymore.

I always have my car detailed after servicing so all is clean and shiny now. I have been a loyal customer of this particular BMW dealer since 2008 and this was not their finest moment. Normally I'm very happy with their service, which is one of the reasons I keep going back, plus they give me 15 to 20% discounts on everything. Maybe it was just that one tech, and as I said, I made it clear that I don't want him working on my car any more.
Yeah it's amazing how much they can overlook. I also made a comment about the techs not wearing gloves and then driving the cars around. If you don't care about your health and you don't mind soaking up chemicals, you do you. But don't get in my car and rub that crap all over the ridiculously sensitive leather and "rubber coated" steering wheel and then expect me to pay for it when it degrades super early.
      06-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #4
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

I was just there at the service center.

Sorry about the issues you're having. Since I had them respray my rear bumper cover just over 3 years ago, things are still good. I did have to have them readjust the fit of the diffuser. But no issues with any over spray. Although, after I had the car in for body work, mysteriously the junction box was burned out in the trunk due to being under water. I suspect it was from the body shop work but I didn't care as it was all covered by either the dealer or via warranty.

As far as the techs working on my car, the ones I've seen have always worn latex gloves.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 02:49 PM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matticus91 View Post
Yeah it's amazing how much they can overlook. I also made a comment about the techs not wearing gloves and then driving the cars around. If you don't care about your health and you don't mind soaking up chemicals, you do you. But don't get in my car and rub that crap all over the ridiculously sensitive leather and "rubber coated" steering wheel and then expect me to pay for it when it degrades super early.
Hmm, I didn't think about the chemicals degrading the materials. Good point. Too bad we can't be there every minute to watch them. My anal/OCD personality rearing it's ugly head. lol