BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #45
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Since the Europeans get the 1er coupe first - we'll see press releases featuring what they get first - the 135i and the 123d will get a lot of ink. We'll probably have to wait 'til closer to the first of the new year before we see any press on the 128i since it seems to be an NA only model.

The way most car companies introduce vehicles to the press is to have representative samples of the line available for driving. Sometimes they'll rent a track out - more often they'll have driving routes mapped out on surface roads and let journalists loose with the cars. The cars the journalists see are generally well-equipped with high end options and all available drivetrain combinations. But the hot cars will be what the journos gravitate to (it's what we all would do given a choice ; -).
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 09:06 PM   #46
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woj View Post
I've driven a friend's 335i and while it is nice, compared to another friend's Boxster S, it just can't keep up on the roads that I frequent.
Firstly: The Boxster S is indeed one of my fav's. I count one particular drive, top down, late fall evening, blasting up a little-traveled road with an underpass in a Boxster S as one of my favorite drives, ever. The Boxster is indeed an excellent-handling automobile. In S guise, it's really about as close to perfect as a street-driven car gets. (I haven't driven the Cayman yet...) But oooh, the price. I've had cars that expensive before, I don't like tying up that much in one 4-wheeled vehicle. And only 2 seats. I'm a papa soon, this affects me differently now than in my younger years.

Secondly: if you are driving so hard on the road with your friends as to reveal the slight speed advantage a Boxster S will have over a 335 on the track... You need to get your bum on a track. You have no business driving like that on public streets.

Thirdly: we are now entering the realm of internet street racing, largely full of theoretical bullsh|t. Where master wordsmiths recount kill stories as tall as the jack's beanstalk, and weave tapestries of theoretical numbers to prove the street superiority of their choice, or intended choice. It's all fluff, at this point.

Fella, I'm not defensive just realistic. You don't want a 135i, it will barely be quicker over a track than a 335i. You want a Cayman S for that nth degree of better handling, or better yet, the new GT2.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #47
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Ah - internet bench racing. As us old f&rts are wont to say, "the older I get, the faster I was." ; -)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2007, 09:11 PM   #48
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

You and me both. I get faster by the day, I SWEAR!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 01:04 AM   #49
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woj View Post
I just don't see the appeal of the 128i. Flame me if you will, but my modded GTI is too much fun to ditch for the BMW moniker with no HP, no torque and no M brakes.
Dude, what are you smoking? You haven't even driven the car. Anybody who'd rather have a FWD car is just a lightweight.

Quote:
For those that want to have the bimmer just for the sake of having it, you can have it.
I'm sure everyone is glad they have your permission. I think I just heard a collective sigh of relief.

Quote:
I really see the role only as bait to lure more new customers at a lower price point.
The only role? The 128i will stand alone as a great car. You don't see too well, do you?

Your post is shallow and prejudiced (or you're trolling).

Stick with your Volkwagen. It suits you.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 05:26 AM   #50
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Stick with your Volkwagen. It suits you.
Hey, leave VW out of this! :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #51
Big Red One
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati View Post
If the 128 was the 265hp version, I'd probably be leaning that direction.
You've just answered your own question.

If we got a 130i with the N53 rather than the 128i with the N52, there would be a fairly sizable segment of the market who have the financial means to buy the 135i, but would opt for the 130i because they would find it the more compelling value.

An N53 130i would cannibalize 135i sales.
      08-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #52
hector
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 330ci, e92 335i, 2008 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red One View Post
You've just answered your own question.

If we got a 130i with the N53 rather than the 128i with the N52, there would be a fairly sizable segment of the market who have the financial means to buy the 135i, but would opt for the 130i because they would find it the more compelling value.

An N53 130i would cannibalize 135i sales.
well maybe it would but then maybe it would draw in people like me who are looking elsewhere because they don't want the turbos for whatever reason(maintenance/durability/reliability/resale) nor a detuned creation of the marketeers. i'm personally not entirely happy with those two choices. they could offer the n53 with an add'l. mark-up of say $500-$750( at no or little greater production cost) to enhance the profitability of the lesser model; i'd pay that.
Appreciate 0