BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
Blauweisser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M-Sport

Maps and Stuff

I bought the dash-mounted GPS after I took delivery of my 125i. We wanted something that we could also use in my wife's Mini, and on hire cars interstate. This units are made by Garmin, and the model number is nuvi 715. I needed to update the maps. After 15 months, there were parts of the Pacific Highway where I was driving cross-country according to the GPS. Went to the Garmin site, and thought I would go for the "lifetime update" deal for $189 (one off updates are ~$90). Couldn't do the online update, either lifetime or one off. Rang up Garmin, and they flick-passed me to their distributor, Johnny Appleseed. The guy there had a look at my unit and said the problem is that it had no maps in the built-in memory. He surmised that BMW bought these OEM mapless from Garmin, and simply then sold them with the maps on an SD card for each country/region. So, to update my maps, I had to pay $189 for a once-off SD card. Has anyone else had this experience? BTW, according to the guy from Johnny Appleseed, the equivalent regular Garnin model is a nuvi 765.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:35 AM   #2
AussieAlf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LMB 123d MT Vert

Can't comment on the BMW Nav system experience, I just bought the mounting kit an bought my own Garmin Nuvi 1490 which has a larger screen and brighter display (important in the convertible). That cost me about $280. Hopefully the lifetime update (or one off) will be compatible with it. Don't need it yet as the unit is only 3 months old.

Cheers,
Alf
      04-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAlf View Post
Can't comment on the BMW Nav system experience, I just bought the mounting kit an bought my own Garmin Nuvi 1490 which has a larger screen and brighter display (important in the convertible). That cost me about $280. Hopefully the lifetime update (or one off) will be compatible with it. Don't need it yet as the unit is only 3 months old.

Cheers,
Alf
Alf do you have any details on the mounting kit you bought that you could share?
Appreciate 0