BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-12-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
hks200
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

converting MULF2 BT to Built In BT + USB - BMW Professional Radio

Hi all,

So I've recently purchased a all in one LCI BMW Professional Radio to fit into my E87 Pre LCI which already has a CD73 + MULF2 (I think) in the boot.

What I'm trying to achieve is rewire the microphone wiring so I can plug it directly into the back of the new headunit (out of a E84 X1 2011-2012 model, non MOST). I've done the research and I know the wiring can be found behind the glove box potentially.

Yellow
Black
Clear

Does anyone know which wire goes into which pin on the plug/back of headunit? I'll be reusing the plug from a spare AUX harness I'll have shortly once the USB + AUX socket + harness arrive.

Thanks in advance! and sorry if this info has already been posted. I've spent a lot of time searching before posting

Last edited by hks200; 07-28-2016 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 09:31 AM   #2
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

The microphone wire doesn't actually go the head unit - it goes to the MULF in your boot.
I hate to say it but i don't think an e84 radio will work - reason being it's a different car electrically. Generally 1 and 3 series electrical components are interchangable, but i dont think an x1 radio would be.

Did you run the part number on realoem and see if the e87 was listed as compatible?

Now because you're (planning on) bypassing the MULF, your aux-in/usb inputs under the arm rests will not work either.

All things multimedia in these cars flow along the MOST BUS...

Last edited by reisf; 10-12-2015 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:32 AM   #3
hks200
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by reisf View Post
The microphone wire doesn't actually go the head unit - it goes to the MULF in your boot.
I hate to say it but i don't think an e84 radio will work - reason being it's a different car electrically. Generally 1 and 3 series electrical components are interchangable, but i dont think an x1 radio would be.

Did you run the part number on realoem and see if the e87 was listed as compatible?

Now because you're (planning on) bypassing the MULF, your aux-in/usb inputs under the arm rests will not work either.

All things multimedia in these cars flow along the MOST BUS...
that is true however I came across a rare headunit that has everything built in so all i need are a fakra usb harness and rewire the microphone

I'm using this link as 90% guidance

BMW Professional Bluetooth/USB built in retrofit

I'll do some further research otherwise worst case scenario tap into the MULF harness in the boot for the MIC wiring.

Last edited by hks200; 10-13-2015 at 03:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #4
reisf
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks200 View Post
that is true however I came across a rare headunit that has everything built in so all i need are a fakra usb harness and rewire the microphone

I'm using this link as 90% guidance

BMW Professional Bluetooth/USB built in retrofit

I'll do some further research otherwise worst case scenario tap into the MULF harness in the boot for the MIC wiring.

Ok cool, but a thought just crossed my mind - why are you going to all this trouble? Are you just planning on updating your radio to the professional head unit?

It might be easier to just tap into the microphone wiring at the microphone itself - It's in the overhead switch unit (FZD module) near the sunroof switch, and then run the wires directly to the head unit.

Do you have access to coding tools? You will need it for this project.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
hks200
Private
Rep

Answering the above:

Already had a BMW Professional CD73 but the original unit's screen was dying, also seemed my MULF was potentially on it's way out. being there was an all in one unit with BT and USB with the only complication of wiring the MIC, seemed like the easiest way to go about things.

Update:

Being that our cars are RHD and most of the diagrams online for the MIC connector are in the "passenger" footwell, after countless searching in our passenger footwell. Turns out the MIC connector is in the driver side footwell in RHD models. Currently working on a way to tap into that MIC connector using a spare AUX harness I had left over. If all else fails I'll be buying a bmw specific MIC and harness. No coding is necessary for any of this.

Last edited by hks200; 07-28-2016 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0