10-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #23
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
I rarely post in these forums since I've sold my 1M last year but of course I waited (cautiously) the reveal of the M2 and had my share of thoughts/intuition/guts/prejudice whatever one would like to name it. I also missed the 1M a lot since last year.

...... For me, it seems more like a half hearted effort rather than a love child
      10-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #24
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

The YouTube vid says it did the ring in 7:58. I checked Wiki for ring times and the 1M shows 8:15. Nice!!!!

Did anyone notice the GoPro app in the M2 vid? That looks interesting.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:41 PM   #25
mrphil
Private First Class
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 1M

overall the m2 looks like a good car, could of been a great car (less weight, better styling at the rear, better interior) but we all know it cant be better than a m3/4

as for if a CSL/GTS model we all know they would want huge money for it just like the m4 GTS which cost more than a 991 GT3.....i know what i rather have
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 12:45 PM   #26
arvinz
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M VO

Garage List
I'm still happy with my choice and I continue to love my car. Just because the M2 is out doesn't mean I love my 1M any less or the car is any less good.

It's like your wife, you love her unconditionally..you're not just going to dump her for a new model--or, wait...hmmm..

All jokes aside, love your car, remember the day you picked it up and also thank BMW for continuing to support the 3rd pedal with newer cars.
Appreciate 3
      10-14-2015, 12:58 PM   #27
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
... I prefer 1M because I look at the cockpit and for me the 1M no Nav cockpit
Based on the cockpit picture comparison, the no-nav 1M does looks better and more focussed on what happens in front of the car.

More M2 thoughts in this earlier thread

Last edited by eeghie; 10-14-2015 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #28
vasmir
eh
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 M, 2016 F25

I agree with a lot of thoughts on this thread -

One thing that makes the 1M so special is it was the last modern M car to be build without EPS or iDrive as standard. Likewise the suspension and steering weren't adjustable, and there was no option for an automatic transmission or DCT.

This perceived lack of complication adds up to a simplicity which, for me, creates an analog feeling I don't think I'd get in a M3 or M4. Or the new M2.

Now I think the M2 looks awesome. BMW hit a home run IMO. If I had my old Z4, or a 135i / M235i right now, I would get in line for a M2 after seeing yesterday's reveal. It's going to be a great car.
But it certainly won't convince me to sell my 1M. Beginning to think I'll never sell!
Appreciate 2
      10-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #29
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

I had high hopes for it but this time it left me cold. The body lines and body shape is modern and elegant but not bold or striking.

The 1M's styling is bold and in your face and its compactness really shines in this modern era of M cars which is becoming more commercially restraint and getting fatter and bigger with each generation.

The 1M is a keeper and will be a modern classic. The M2 is not.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #30
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

From driving dynamics perspective, I have driven the 1M and 235 side by side for over a year now and if the M-Division's M3/4 parts bin step changes from 235 to M2 are at least similar to 135 to 1M, I dare say the M2 would be an awesome car to drive. The 235 as it's base car is a good drivers car. Sure, the M2 should lack the hydraulic steering response and go-kartish feel of the 1M but I'm confident that the M3/4 underpinnings should provide good driving dynamics and response through to the driver. I'm looking forward to driving one. That said, I would find the ASD annoying as I do in the 235.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #31
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

From looks perspective... my wife often says that 235 is handsome, 1M is sexy. I don't necessarily share her view. I don't always think the 235 is all good looking. However I disagree with some comments that the 1M looks dated compared to 235 and now M2.

The 235/M2 definitely have more curves and lines than the 135/1M and with its flares, I would say the M2 makes the 1M look bland rather than dated.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:23 PM   #32
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

I have tried very hard to find one compelling reason to ditch either car for the M2 but have yet to find one... especially the 1M it's a keeper for life.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #33
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M235i
From looks perspective... my wife often says that 235 is handsome, 1M is sexy. I don't necessarily share her view. I don't always think the 235 is all good looking. However I disagree with some comments that the 1M looks dated compared to 235 and now M2.

The 235/M2 definitely have more curves and lines than the 135/1M and with its flares, I would say the M2 makes the 1M look bland rather than dated.
I can't agree....the 1M never looks bland to me. it is an insanely interesting and unusual looking car....bland never has crossed my mind! If anything the M2 makes the 1M look even more iconic in the same way that the E9X M3 made the E46 M3 look better...or the E36 M3 made the E30 M3 look better...

if I were you I'd ditch the M235 for the M2. When I drove the M235 I wasn't impressed at all....you've had more seat time with it than I have but it felt disconnected and very ordinary to me. I'm sure the M2 will fix that!!

Glad you are keeping the 1M though!!! good decision
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #34
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
I can't agree....the 1M never looks bland to me. it is an insanely interesting and unusual looking car....bland never has crossed my mind! If anything the M2 makes the 1M look even more iconic in the same way that the E9X M3 made the E46 M3 look better...or the E36 M3 made the E30 M3 look better...

if I were you I'd ditch the M235 for the M2. When I drove the M235 I wasn't impressed at all....you've had more seat time with it than I have but it felt disconnected and very ordinary to me. I'm sure the M2 will fix that!!

Glad you are keeping the 1M though!!! good decision
Syed you noticed I said 1M is sexy?! compared to the fangs, many lines and curves that M2 has, 1M doesn't have much and it's rather/relative bland. 'Bland' or not fussed but hell sexy, sorta of like Scarlett Johansson if you could imagine it
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 09:17 PM   #35
fastauto
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

I think the car is a winner for sure but personally I am not loving a lot of the design elements. Way too much x6m going on in this car. I think they could have done a better job.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #36
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

I like the M2, but I LOVE my 1M!
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2015, 10:42 PM   #37
1smokehouse
Second Lieutenant
Guam
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i LE

Garage List
Point of view from a 128 owner if considering an upgrade to an M car.

I watched the video that BMW released and had mixed feelings. My initial thought was that it still looked a bit plain to me but I liked the performance. Kinda like when the new GTO was revealed, a lot of power, but not very attractive. I love the more angular and distinct lines of the 1 series, and those are only made more aggressive in the 1M. The M2 appeared only slightly more aggressive than the M235i and kept much of the "rounded" features that were only enlarged. I also agree with most folks that the added technology only detracts from the overall package to me, but, this is the future I guess.

So the real question for me is would I get in line for the new M2 or hunt down a used 1M... I think 1M at this point. ///M
      10-15-2015, 12:02 AM   #38
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

I think it will depend on your priorities. Having a new car warranty provides peace of mind. But if your priority is more of a longterm, relatively unfiltered driving experience, then the 1M is more likely to check the right boxes.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 02:39 AM   #39
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1smokehouse View Post

So the real question for me is would I get in line for the new M2 or hunt down a used 1M... I think 1M at this point. ///M
Manage your timing, once the first 1M-M2 comparison review confirms the 1M has better handling, its prices will start to rise.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2015, 04:18 AM   #40
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep

The M2 is roughly 17 seconds faster than the 1M in the ring. Not sure what to make of that.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 04:45 AM   #41
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc
The M2 is roughly 17 seconds faster than the 1M in the ring. Not sure what to make of that.
Tyre technology moves on
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 06:30 AM   #42
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc
IMO....this whole modern day 'Nurburgring lap time' situation has ruined the proper evaluation of cars and their enjoyment.

let me try to provide some perspective. An E30 M3 Sport Evolution (one of THE most desirable BMWs ever made) takes 8m 45s to lap the ring.....but I can assure it would be a faaaar more enjoyable and rewarding driving experience than the M2 which would do it 47 seconds faster. I don't think lap times should be associated with the enjoyment of the car.....do they assess technical ability?? yes! do they assess enjoyment? not at all.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2015, 06:58 AM   #43
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
IMO....this whole modern day 'Nurburgring lap time' situation has ruined the proper evaluation of cars and their enjoyment.

let me try to provide some perspective. An E30 M3 Sport Evolution (one of THE most desirable BMWs ever made) takes 8m 45s to lap the ring.....but I can assure it would be a faaaar more enjoyable and rewarding driving experience than the M2 which would do it 47 seconds faster. I don't think lap times should be associated with the enjoyment of the car.....do they assess technical ability?? yes! do they assess enjoyment? not at all.
Wanted to say that I completely agree with this post; N-ring times are starting to distract enthusiasts from really important matters, becoming counter-effective. Most people think in simple terms and take things for granted and they ignore the huge differences in tyre-transmission-suspension technologies and there is also the fact that most flagship cars are nowadays developed on the ring by professional test drivers just to retract that precious (and also virtually impossible to attend for other drivers kind of) Ring Time. I would like to see a back to back test by same driver with same tires between the 1M and M2 and I suspect there would be much less of a difference, if any, especially if the cars are manual to manual.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 07:20 AM   #44
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:

Wanted to say that I completely agree with this post; N-ring times are starting to distract enthusiasts from really important matters, becoming counter-effective. Most people think in simple terms and take things for granted and they ignore the huge differences in tyre-transmission-suspension technologies and there is also the fact that most flagship cars are nowadays developed on the ring by professional test drivers just to retract that precious (and also virtually impossible to attend for other drivers kind of) Ring Time. I would like to see a back to back test by same driver with same tires between the 1M and M2 and I suspect there would be much less of a difference, if any, especially if the cars are manual to manual.
i agree with you about setups and tires....BUT even if there was still a significant difference I still don't think it adds much to deciding which car is more enjoyable or rewarding to drive. I think that depends on the driver as well as the small details of the driving experience.

I think due to the Internet people have developed short attention spans so assessing a car based on a number (lap time) has become an easy way to compare-----but before the Internet people loved cars based on how they drove not by comparing it to a database of ring lap times!
Appreciate 1