BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Dr_zito
Argentina
Rep
Drives: 1M

1M vs. A45 AMG?

Hi, does anyone know if a proper test comparing these two cars has been done?
I donīt seem to find anything in the web...except for some articles, but nothing like a proper test.
I know Chris Harris (youtube) has done a comparison between M135i vs. the A45 AMG but I was looking for the 1M.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Not sure we are going to see a comparison test by the press as the 1M is no longer in production to warrent a comparison with a new model hot hatch, hence the reason the M135i has been pitted against the A45.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Not sure we are going to see a comparison test by the press as the 1M is no longer in production to warrent a comparison with a new model hot hatch, hence the reason the M135i has been pitted against the A45.

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
theaudir8fan
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: a major headache

the new A45 is a little rocket ship, it will for sure out run a 1M in any condition, but it will defiantly not be as fun to drive and be less involving and on edge. A45 is a different type of car for a alightly different group of audience
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

I'm not certain about that. The m135 just barely got beat. The 1m should be a much faster car around the track than the m135. Bigger tires, more power, better brakes, better suspension and the big factor, a proper diff. Only adv m135 has on track is the auto granny tranny which is sup be slightly faster. Not sure if m135 has pss tires or not. Regardless 1m should be a good margin faster than m135 on track. If AMG was just slightly faster than m135 then it would be a good race with 1m.

Will most likely come down to driver and type of track.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 02:01 AM   #6
willox
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M2,Cayenne

Cross country,the Amg will leave the 1M,different league with the 4wd,tempted to get one for the wife at some point.ive had Evos for years and expect the Merc to be up there with huge amounts of mechanical grip,totally different drive!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #7
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

This is all I have found as a comparison between the 1M & M135i

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

whateva :)

My thoughts harken to the brilliant 1M vs M2 comparison thread.
For me, it's all about emotional connection to the car and the road. The 1M captures this in a magical and unique way that I haven't felt since my beloved GTV6.

The development of the 1M was something I compare to political revolutions--all of which, through human history, have been instigated by a desperate, passionate, poorly funded minority fighting against the status quo. For better or worse THAT'S where history is made.

Qui audet adipiscitur.

We live in a watered-down, cowardly, committee-driven world that mitigates risk for a few dullards, by keeping the majority in an AWD, paddle-shifting, diaper-wearing bubble where oversteer and drifts are frowned upon by electronic nannies. A45? RS3? TTRS? STi? GTR? *eyeroll*

Thank you no. Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by--or a manual tranny and a buttload of torque.

While I'm sure that there will be cars like the A45, built by the performance divisions of most marques that will outdo the 1M on paper, the simple fact remains that they will never outdo it in the one area where it truly counts: the happiness that it brings to the driver. God gave me a left leg and a right arm for a reason. If I ain't mashing down on a clutch and moving a shifter I ain't a happy person. And I ain't drinking no Kool-Aid to convince me otherwise.

While I admire the intellectual curiosity of my fellow petrol-heads when it comes to comparos, my own humble observation is that after I've read any comparison to the 1M by anyone, I honestly shrug my shoulders and smile.

I know what I got and I'm happy. And you know what? Sometimes the lil bulldog surprises you when it meets up with one of these soulless AWD abominations, as this repost shows. Just scroll to 1:37 and look at his smile.

Just my 2cents. It could be the Vicodin and prednisone talking. Gotta love a back injury.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...49641647,d.cGE

Last edited by Dee Pee; 07-24-2013 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
For me, it's all about emotional connection to the car and the road. The 1M captures this in a magical and unique way that I haven't felt since my beloved GTV6.

The development of the 1M was something I compare to political revolutions--all of which, through human history, have been instigated by a desperate, passionate, poorly funded minority fighting against the status quo. For better or worse THAT'S where history is made.

Qui audet adipiscitur.

We live in a watered-down, cowardly, committee-driven world that mitigates risk for a few dullards, by keeping the majority in an AWD, paddle-shifting, diaper-wearing bubble where oversteer and drifts are frowned upon by electronic nannies. A45? RS3? TTRS? STi? GTR? *eyeroll*

Thank you no. Give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by--or a manual tranny and a buttload of torque.

While I'm sure that there will be cars like the A45, built by the performance decisions of most marques that will outdo the 1M on paper, the simple fact remains that they will never outdo it in the one area where it truly counts: the happiness that it brings to the driver. God gave me a left leg and a right arm for a reason. If I ain't mashing down on a clutch and moving a shifter I ain't a happy person. And I ain't drinking no Kool-Aid to convince me otherwise.

While I admire the intellectual curiosity of my fellow petrol-heads when it comes to comparos, my own humble observation is that after I've read any comparison to the 1M by anyone, I honestly shrug my shoulders and smile.

I know what I got and I'm happy. And you know what? Sometimes the lil bulldog surprises you when it meets up with one of these soulless AWD abominations, as this repost shows. Just scroll to 1:37 and look at his smile.

Just my 2cents. It could be the Vicodin and prednisone talking. Gotta love a back injury.
I commend you on your considered words and honest perspective sir.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Dee Pee -

Great post

Neil
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Dee Pee -

Great post

Neil

+1 Post of the day. Your quotes are nice and original. Thanks.

"God gave me a left leg and a right arm for a reason."

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
This is all I have found as a comparison between the 1M & M135i

Aussie, I think that there is a confusion about the data that you posted; those German Sport Auto test figures were achieved with a 8 speed auto M135i which was also equipped with adaptive dampers, rwd version. However, on the left side of picture where we have the specs it says 6speed manual, that is wrong. The manual M135i would be slower; according to BMW 0.2 seconds to 100 km/h vs. the auto.

I think A45 AMG would definitely be faster on a straight, a la RS3/TT RS also with awd and launch control, maybe around 0.2 secs, but not till the top speed mark, probably somewhere between 120-160 km/h 1M would catch it. Other than that I can't imagine any other performance area that A45 AMG would have the upper hand over it, in terms of in-gear flexibility, braking from high speed, track times etc. This doesn't exclude the fact that it would still be the car easier to drive quicker on almost all real world roads for most drivers. Final account: none of this would matter since its fundamentals are no match to the level of fun 1M generates due to its fundamentals.

It has cool seats though

And Dee Pee, great post indeed! Fan of House M.D.?
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 07-24-2013 at 09:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
UNO///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW BMW 1M

Our beloved car is not about 1/4 mile performance, is about engagement. Just take your car to long twisty roads and enjoy the roller coaster. That's my antidepressant
      07-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #14
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Honestly, I'm inspired this car and this forum. It's a good community.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Em/1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Garage List
2019 VW GTI SE  [0.00]
2020 Tesla M3P  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:

Qui audet adipiscitur.

While I'm sure that there will be cars like the A45, built by the performance divisions of most marques that will outdo the 1M on paper, the simple fact remains that they will never outdo it in the one area where it truly counts: the happiness that it brings to the driver. God gave me a left leg and a right arm for a reason. If I ain't mashing down on a clutch and moving a shifter I ain't a happy person. And I ain't drinking no Kool-Aid to convince me otherwise.

Couldn't have said it better and I took Latin!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #16
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

How about that 26psi of boost that they run in stock amg form, compared to our boost. how much more boost can that engine really take?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 02:16 AM   #17
1MOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M AW & F15X5 40d & M2C HS

Quote:

Qui audet adipiscitur.

Nicely spoken. Totally agreed with your sentiment.
      07-25-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

M135i vs a45 vs gti
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sometimes the lil bulldog surprises you when it meets up with one of these soulless AWD abominations, as this repost shows.
Have you driven an STi? It is neither soulles or an abomination compared to the others you list.
      07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #20
chinam
Rep
Drives: black 1M

hi Aussie, on the 1m n m135 comparison, i noticed the 1m 0 ~ 100 is listed at 4.7 second but from offical bmw site n other media it saids 4.9 sec and some members here recorded 4.5. i often wonder whats the real timing is. can someone educate me pls
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
stormzusmc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 15 Jag XFRS, 16 GLA45

It's honestly driver, tires, and environment dependent. There are multiple variables that can affect the speed of a car especially down to a few 1/10ths of a second.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #22
chinam
Rep
Drives: black 1M

tks storm, but since this data is probably the first thing people look at, shouldnt bmw undergo the testing with the best driver n most suitable road condition in order to achieve the best timing.
Appreciate 0