BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
ItsHectic
But your honour it's my Affluenza I swear!
Australia
Rep
Drives: at a reasonable speed

Communal parking

Looking to move in to a unit, I am in Sydney eastern suburbs.

Seems my choices are my own garage at a very old unit or a new place with shared parking.

I am precious with my car and any carpark I go to I frequently see people opening their doors on to other cars, and I feel "secure" shared residential parking is a false sense of security, the fact is cameras are not a deterrent for most crime and anyone can get in to these carparks easily by just waiting for someone to come in or out and casually walking in.

I know it is not as bad as leaving a car on the street and a lot of people do that, by the way any time I see a nice car on the street at night when it could be garaged I just assume its leased

How is communal parking, safety wise should I consider it the same as a private garage?
      10-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Its NEVER the same as a private garage in regards to privacy and security, but what options do you have.

I live in an apartment complex, and the placement of my carspots was my No1 priorty, which drove my wife mad.

But in the end, I secured 2 private carspaces alongside a wall, which only leaves one side of the car open to the "elements".

Get to know your neighbours who park alongside you and all should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
Taymaishu
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: I love massive black cocks

Garage List
2009 125i  [5.50]
As always, Joe speaks the truth. I'm lucky enough to have a pole on either side of our two car spot which prevents the neighbours from hitting Chrissy.

A couple of months back one of the neighbours got home and she spoke to me for about ten mins about how nice the car looked. Now it's an easy decision on which side I park!

My last apartment I had somehow jagged a disabled car parking spot for my nominated car space. It was next to the wall so I'd park right up against the wall and have 2 or 3 meters gap to the next spot!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 10:57 PM   #4
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Just don't sweat it. If you get a ding, have it fixed. The rest of the time, don't think about it at all.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Just don't sweat it. If you get a ding, have it fixed. The rest of the time, don't think about it at all.
Kenny is also correct. I used to always be concerned, but in the end, don't sweat on it. Out of sight , out of mind.
Our garage has several C63's and two E92 M3's with dozen or so top end Audi's.
Just park in the centre of your allocated spot, or as close as possible to the blind side wall or pole , if you are lucky enough to have one and be cool to your neighbors.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
ippykaye
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW 135i

As some have said, having a LUG is ideal but a rarity in today's newer apartments.

It is a bit of a gamble in secure car spaces- I'm next to a pole and the space is quite wide. I'd prefer my neighbouring space, next to a wall and has an extra 1.5 m between the wall and the parking space outline so it's mega-wide!

On the other side of the pole is a lot of 3 spaces. The middle space sucks as on its right is a visitor's parking space. I would have not bought that apartment based purely on that LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #7
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

First World Problems....
Appreciate 0