BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-17-2008, 05:57 AM   #1
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

v29.2 software and lag on 135i?

Is anyone having these problems like the US chaps seem to be getting?

One of the core reasons I'm buying this car is the engine. The monster torque from 1300rpm, so effectively zero lag, is what attracted me in the first place. Quite frankly, if I'm going to be getting a car with lag below 3000rpm then I'm not interested.

I can live with things like dodgy fuel pumps that might need replacing etc. and most other foibles, but not a version of the 2 times "International Engine of the Year" with the wick turned down.

Of course, there's the distinct possbility that our ECU software is substantially different as we don't get the free maintenance, and hence cost to BMW, to drive them to reign the engine in for longevity. Or the possbility of running on really crappy petrol, like their 87 or 89 or whatever.

Please tell me that this doesn't affect out UK cars, otherwise I think I might cry!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
forestjump
Private
Rep
Drives:

It hasnt affected my UK car, the torque is awesome... it doesnt have the 'shove' of a diesel, its more linear, but its definitley there!

and as for lag, i always run mine on tesco 99ron or shell V-power and it doesnt lag at all.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

No lag from my car either.

It is immense from anything over 2k rpm.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 01:14 AM   #4
IanM
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

I reckon there's a very slight lag, but it's a small fraction of a second - so little that I sometimes wonder if I'm imagining it. It's nothing like most turbo-charged engines though, and the low-end torque is so phenomenal that it more than makes up for it.

I'm breaking in the engine in by staying below 4500 revs (most of the time) and the torque makes it far easier than I expected.

How do we find out what version of the ECU we have? Is it hidden in iDrive somewhere, or on the right control stalk?
      06-18-2008, 04:02 AM   #5
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
No lag from my car either.

It is immense from anything over 2k rpm.
As you've only had your car a few weeks, I can only assume you've got v29.2 or whatever our equivalent is, so that's good to know.

For a while I was almost toying with the idea of cancelling and wasting a shedload more cash to get a Cayman S. Thank God I won't have to do that! I think I'd really resent having to pay £800 for the supposed "standard" seats.

I have sent an email off to BMW to ask what the impact is, if any, of the software change, and whether it applies to us in the UK also.

If I get something useful back, I'll post it up
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #6
BMW Dreamer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Modded 06 TL Manual

This is a scary thread. I hope this is not a fact.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

I think if there is any lag issue with the N54 BMW will provide an ECU flash either on request or automatically applied when serviced.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 06:17 AM   #8
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1962 View Post
This is a scary thread. I hope this is not a fact.
Jeff, this is a reflection of this thread (and the link contained within it to e90 post), where I was looking to gauge if there'd been any impact on UK owners.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11263
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
I think if there is any lag issue with the N54 BMW will provide an ECU flash either on request or automatically applied when serviced.
And therein seems to lie the problem for the US boys and girls

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=18

BMW appear to have engineered this in to solve another minor problem

If it comes down to it, once I've had the car for a reasonable time, and if there is an impact on lag which I can't live with, then I'll get a piggyback which allows to you control the wastegate (Shark Edit it seems, not sure about Procede v3 too?)
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
0002s
Mein Führer! I can walk!
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW

SOME FACTS before we all go off half cocked:

1. 335i on e90 have reported wastegate ticking issues (search and you will find many post on the issue). They rattled and eventually had to be changed.

2. N54 wastegates on pre v29.2 were closed and thus the engine was spooled and ready to go.

3. Theory is that the "suspected lag" is caused by the wastegate being opened by v29.2. This solves the rattle. So the hesitation is from closing to spool up the VOOM.

CONCLUSIONS:

1. Nobody can prove that the "suspected lag" existed as there is no definitive dyno proof of the problem. It's all "butt dyno". I do think that there is some hesitation though.

2. There is NO PROOF that there is a loss in power from the suspected hesitation.

3. There is NO PROOF that the 135i has the wastegate issue or v29.2 fix in it's software.

I suggest anybody who is breaking in their cars wait to check to see if there is some lag. WHY...because you are going to feel some lag until you WOT your car.

imho there will be MANY other issues with v29.2 followed by v29.xxxxx fixes that we will all be speculating that BWM has screwed us somehow.

JUST DRIVE IT and have FUN.

For those that really want to read and keep up with the latest facts/speculations, I suggest to read all the post relevant here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:01 AM   #11
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

In denver I get about 1/2 sec lag.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #12
scs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002s View Post
SOME FACTS before we all go off half cocked:

1. 335i on e90 have reported wastegate ticking issues (search and you will find many post on the issue). They rattled and eventually had to be changed.

2. N54 wastegates on pre v29.2 were closed and thus the engine was spooled and ready to go.

3. Theory is that the "suspected lag" is caused by the wastegate being opened by v29.2. This solves the rattle. So the hesitation is from closing to spool up the VOOM.

CONCLUSIONS:

1. Nobody can prove that the "suspected lag" existed as there is no definitive dyno proof of the problem. It's all "butt dyno". I do think that there is some hesitation though.

2. There is NO PROOF that there is a loss in power from the suspected hesitation.

3. There is NO PROOF that the 135i has the wastegate issue or v29.2 fix in it's software.

I suggest anybody who is breaking in their cars wait to check to see if there is some lag. WHY...because you are going to feel some lag until you WOT your car.

imho there will be MANY other issues with v29.2 followed by v29.xxxxx fixes that we will all be speculating that BWM has screwed us somehow.

JUST DRIVE IT and have FUN.

For those that really want to read and keep up with the latest facts/speculations, I suggest to read all the post relevant here:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58
      06-19-2008, 12:28 AM   #13
JC Jai
E.I.T
Rep
Drives:

i agree with that last guy too, no one has really shown any proof that what they say happens happens, but I am disappointed if it does though.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2008, 05:19 AM   #14
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

Here's the reply I just got back from BMW customer service. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what else comes back. Not sure about it going to product marketing though, as if lag has been introduced to an engine previously advertised as "lag free", I'm not sure marketing are going to be shouting about it!

Dear Mr Davis

Thank you for your email concerning a possible ECU software change for the BMW 135i.

As we are not aware of this change we have had to refer your enquiry to our Product Marketing Team for further advice. This may result in the query being escalated to Germany in order to find an answer. This answer will diagnose whether or not the changes are indeed; true, false or even applicable to UK vehicles such as yours.

Please can we ask for your patience whilst we await a reply from our colleagues. We apologise for any inconvenience that the delay may cause and want to answer your query as fully as possible.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #15
MattD
Legend
Rep
Drives:

And here's the response, so confirmation of what they've done. Although without giving a reason as to why they've done it, which is to presumably prolong the life of a possibly dodgy part

Dear Mr Davis

Thank you for your patience in this matter, I have now heard back from my technical experts.

They have informed me that here have been software alterations to the engine management system of the N54 in relation to the operation of the waste gates. It has been confirmed that these changes have no noticeable influence on power, torque or the response of the engine.

With this in mind, may I suggest contacting your local BMW Approved Dealership to test drive a 135i with the latest software. This test drive will be able to lay your mind at rest about the performance of the 135i that you have on order.

I trust this information is of use and can assure you of my personal attention should you have any further queries.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2008, 01:50 PM   #16
Bullitt
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
"They have informed me that here have been software alterations to the engine management system of the N54 in relation to the operation of the waste gates."

Have him ask his technical experts about what they have to say about the specific reasons why these alterations were made in relation to the waste gates. Maybe they won't want to answer...
Appreciate 0