BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-25-2011, 04:12 PM   #1
diamondsbylauren
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 CV

Garage List
How to get the seat to my position with the fob

Hi 1 lovers!

Question: Every night when I get my car from the garage, the attendants always move the seat- usually closer to the wheel.
If one did not notice that, and tries to get in,......ouch.

Anyway is there a way to have the seat return to a memory position by locking and unlocking the car?
Or any other method automatically.....
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 330i ZHP, N55 135i

I *think* it returns to the last position it was in, when the fob was last used. If so, then no. Maybe slip the attendant an extra $5 to hit memory 1 when s/he gets out?
      08-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
In my 135i there is a setting in the BC menu that does this.
The three options are
  1. OFF
  2. Move the seat when the door opens (after unlocking with the remote)
  3. Move the seat when you push unlock on the remote
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

One key point for you after setting the option in the car's computer as noted above...give the parking lot attendant your other fob. Then, they can move the seat all over, and as soon as you unlock the car, or open the door, depending on your setting, your seat will move for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
adobeee
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjof2003 View Post
In my 135i there is a setting in the BC menu that does this.
The three options are
  1. OFF
  2. Move the seat when the door opens (after unlocking with the remote)
  3. Move the seat when you push unlock on the remote
What is BC?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #6
diamondsbylauren
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeee View Post
What is BC?
What he said...
Another quesitoon.... are option 2 and option 3 identical other than when the seat moves ( one when you press the button, the other when you open the door)....

That is very good puzzle solving using two key fobs ( seriously!) but I would hate to not have that spare at home.......
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I thought you could set your fave position on the side of the seat. Then if someone messes with it you press and hold that button and the seats returns to your set position?
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
fondeezy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i - 6MT, M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I thought you could set your fave position on the side of the seat. Then if someone messes with it you press and hold that button and the seats returns to your set position?
Yes there is a memory button. That was not the issue that the OP brought up. The OP is looking for a way to accomplish this automatically without pushing the button.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 10:36 AM   #9
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondsbylauren View Post
What he said...
BC = "Bord Computer" or "On Board Computer" which is operated by the turn signal stalk button & lever (described as buttons 1 & 2 in the manual).

Quote:
That is very good puzzle solving using two key fobs ( seriously!) but I would hate to not have that spare at home.......
That would be my issue as well. if possible, I try to never have the car parked by a valet.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Hi 1 lovers!

Question: Every night when I get my car from the garage, the attendants always move the seat- usually closer to the wheel.
If one did not notice that, and tries to get in,......ouch.

Anyway is there a way to have the seat return to a memory position by locking and unlocking the car?
Or any other method automatically.....
YES, there is.
If I recall correctly, here is what you do.
First, you need to have the "memory" seat option.
If you do, you'll have 3 buttons on the left side of you seat.
There is an "M", "1", and "2".
The M is to set the memory seat position, and the 1 and 2 are to set the position of the seat for different settings.

To set the memory, you must insert the fob into the fob/key slot.
Then, you push the "start" button, don't start the car, it should be in the "on" position.
Adjust the seat to where you want it.
Then, press the M button. I think it will light up.
Then, press the number 1 or 2 button.
The memory setting will be set to that fob, so that when you open/unlock the door, the seats will move to the memory position set for that fob/key.

If your wife drives the car, you can set "1" to your fob, and you can set "2" for your wife's fob.
When you use your fob, the seat will adjust to the "1" setting, and when your wife uses her fob, the seat will set to the "2" position.

When set up correctly, you don't have to use the memory buttons to adjust the seat position. After the valet or the tech moves your seats, you then use your fob to unlock the door, and the seat will move to the assigned memory position.

Using the correct fob will set the seat position when you open/unlock the doors.
If you grab the wrong fob, you'll get the seat setting for that fob.
If you've never set the memory for that fob, then your seat won't adjust to your liking when you open/unlock the doors. It will set the seats to whatever was keyed/assigned to that fob.
So, make sure you assign each fob to either 1 or 2 memory setting.

You may have to try it a couple of times to get it working correctly, if you don't get it the first time.
It took me a couple of attempts before getting it right.
I don't have my manual handy to verify this, but it's in there, and it describes the correct procedure to get this to work.
I don't have comfort access, so you'll have to read your manual to set it correctly.
But, I think you do have to insert the fob, initially, in order to set a memory for it, then keep it in your pocket as usual.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
What he said...
Another quesitoon.... are option 2 and option 3 identical other than when the seat moves ( one when you press the button, the other when you open the door)....

The BC is the button/scroll wheel on the turn signal/high beam stalk. In my car the button says "BC" on it for (on-Board Computer). I guess OBC would be too easily confused with OBD (On-Board Diagnostics).

Yes, options 2 and 3 are almost the same. Both turn this feature on, the only difference is when the seat moves. I have mine set on door open since my wife's setting isn't too much different than mine. This way if I need something out of the car I can just go in the passenger's door without making the seat move needlessly.

However, if you're two settings vary a lot, you may want to do it on unlock so that it will have finished moving to your position when you're entering the car.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #12
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
When set up correctly, you don't have to use the memory buttons to adjust the seat position. After the valet or the tech moves your seats, you then use your fob to unlock the door, and the seat will move to the assigned memory position.
I'll have to try setting mine up again, because this is definitely not how they are working. In fact, I have different M1 and M2 settings than my wife.

Each FOB currently returns the seat to the last position it was in for that FOB, regardless of how the seat got to that position (memory button or directional controls). This is the same in my e46 as well. Maybe there is something to the sequence of events, to tie the FOB to a memory button, rather than just the last position.

Also, I am not sure how to push the start button, without starting the car. Is that a comfort access feature, maybe?

Last edited by TX78666; 08-29-2011 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: Question
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
diamondsbylauren
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
depress the button without depressing a pedal- that is also supposed to prime the injectors ( or something like that)

I'll have to try re-setting the memory positions....
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:34 PM   #14
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
depress the button without depressing a pedal- that is also supposed to prime the injectors ( or something like that)

I'll have to try re-setting the memory positions....
Thanks. I'll try that. Hopefully, you mean it primes the HPFP, because that might help with my long crank issue. Maybe.

I'm a little hesitant to play with the seats, upon further consideration. I kind of like having my own M1 and M2 settings, and my wife having her own. If I ended up with that by some fluke, I don't know if I want to lose that functionality by programming the seats the right way. God knows I'll never remember which wrong way I programmed them to begin with.

Does anyone else have 4 memory settings: 2 for each fob?
      08-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post
Thanks. I'll try that. Hopefully, you mean it primes the HPFP, because that might help with my long crank issue. Maybe.

I'm a little hesitant to play with the seats, upon further consideration. I kind of like having my own M1 and M2 settings, and my wife having her own. If I ended up with that by some fluke, I don't know if I want to lose that functionality by programming the seats the right way. God knows I'll never remember which wrong way I programmed them to begin with.

Does anyone else have 4 memory settings: 2 for each fob?
The newest reflash, and the N55, are programmed to prime the system when you unlock the doors.

I haven't tested to see if each fob still controls 2 mem settings.
Try it. It's easy to reset/set things back.

If it works, I'm sure mem #1 will be the default, cause with my fob the seats go to mem position 1. If I want #2 I have to push/select it.

To put the car in "power on" mode, just don't start the car by pushing in the clutch for MT, or pressing the brake for autoT/DCT.

If you have the owners manual the procedure is in there.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #16
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The newest reflash, and the N55, are programmed to prime the system when you unlock the doors.
I've got an N55 and I can tell you that the pump doesn't always prime. About 1/4 of the times that it doesn't prime, I get a long crank. The next time it doesn't prime, I will try the start button, to see if that forces it to prime. I suspect there is a sensor, intermittently failing.
      08-29-2011, 10:54 PM   #17
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Mmmm. I'm not seeing the seat thing, still. Maybe I have a glitch. I unlocked the car with my fob. reclined the seat. Started the car. Stopped the car. Locked the car. Unlocked with wife's fob. Seat returned to her M2 position, which is much closer to the steering wheel than either of my memory settings. Locked the car. Unlocked the car with my fob, and the seat reclined, to where I had left it; not either of my memory settings.

If I programmed it wrong, to get it to this state, I am not sure how getting it back to this state would be easy. I followed the instructions in the manual to get it programmed how it is now, AFAIK. If I deviated from the manual, I have no idea where/how, so it is unlikely that I would be able to repeat it.
      08-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #18
Pangloss
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Convertible

Is that the whirring noise I hear when I unlock the doors? The system being "primed"?
      08-29-2011, 11:00 PM   #19
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangloss View Post
Is that the whirring noise I hear when I unlock the doors? The system being "primed"?
As far as I know.
      08-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #20
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX78666 View Post

Each FOB currently returns the seat to the last position it was in for that FOB, regardless of how the seat got to that position (memory button or directional controls). This is the same in my e46 as well. Maybe there is something to the sequence of events, to tie the FOB to a memory button, rather than just the last position.

Also, I am not sure how to push the start button, without starting the car. Is that a comfort access feature, maybe?
If you press the start button once - without stepping on the brake- it will not crank & it will be in the "accessory position". Press again & it would be in the on/crank position. (All idiot lights on briefly). Press again & it will now be in the off position.

The way you describe how your seats work is the way BMW & Mercedes intend them to work. When the person who returns to the car has the same fob as was last used to run the car, the seat will stay in the last position the seat was in when THAT fob was in control. It will not move the seat at all unless someone else with the other fob had run the car in between and the seat had been moved either manually or automatically while the other fob was in control. If that had been the case, when you returned with your fob, the seat would then move to your pre-set memorized starting position. The seat only moves if another fob had control of the vehicle in between your fob's uses.

I have found that if the 2 fobs are in the car at the same time (say husband and Wife, for example) sometimes the car will be confused as to which fob to load all of the settings for, and the result can even be a conflicting mix of the 2 fobs settings.

American cars will always move the seat to the permanently memorized position for the remote used to unlock or start the car each time the car is started with that fob.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 08-30-2011 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #21
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
If you press the start button once - without stepping on the brake-
Right. I already figured that out, awhile back. Thanks.
      08-30-2011, 08:58 AM   #22
TX78666
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM View Post
The way you describe how your seats work is the way BMW & Mercedes intend them to work. When the person who returns to the car has the same fob as was last used to run the car, the seat will stay in the last position the seat was in when THAT fob was in control.
That's what I thought. That's not what others are describing. Not sure why I get all of the bold text.