BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
lsevenl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Exclamation Did headlight moisture kill my bulb?

I put LUX bulbs in 2 days ago and today washed my car. I noticed a lot of moisture in the driver side headlight. The headlights had previously been working just fine and when I went to turn on the headlights today to check them after the wash the driver side was out. I double checked the seals on both headlight covers and they look perfect. I double checked the fitment on the driver side and it looked tight and seated properly.

My plan is to take the car to the dealership (I took the LUX out) and see if I can get the bulb replaced. But before that I wanted to check with you guys to see if you have any suggestions on what I can try before that? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #2
JK135i
8:39
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

Garage List
2010 135i  [9.50]
I actually had that same thing happen, after a huge rain storm both of my headlights had condensation in them and both bulbs and the adaptive headlight control went out. I took it to the dealer and they replaced both of the headlights (bulbs, housings, and ballast's) under warranty. no problems since then.
      01-26-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Mister RK
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Girlfriend had the same issue. We took the LUX out and re-installed the stock bulbs, then took it to the dealer. The dealer replaced the whole headlight component under warranty, and then we re-installed the LUX. Everything works fine now and no more moisture trapped in the headlights after a high pressure wash. I hope everything is still under warranty for you and I think taking it to the dealer's to get it replaced would be the best option.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #4
lsevenl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Well I actually bought this vehicle used from a dealership but negotiated a 3 yr 36,000 (additional mile) warranty into the final price of the vehicle. So I should be ok. It's just upsetting because I was fairly certain that I had installed the LUX flawlessly and the moisture finds a way in
Appreciate 0