BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2015, 07:39 PM   #1
hungrybreadbutterhustle
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i xDrive

Integrated Universal Garage Door Opener LED isn't on and I can't get anything paired?

I've followed the manual along with these two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4UTXi4gHi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DMAVgUc9Uk

Along with a few threads here on the forum.

I'm clear on the procedural instructions, but the issue is that the LED isn't lit on the rearview mirror and doesn't react to any button presses. I'm wondering if there's a specific fuse for this or any other known issues?

It does not light up like this:
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 09:45 AM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

That light can be hard to see, especially if you are surrounded by glare or facing the sun.

Assuming that the light does not come on, at all, then there is certainly something wrong, either with the mirror itself, the wiring to the mirror, or possibly a fuse. I would certainly check my fuse box for any burned out fuses (check the fuse diagram posted somewhere on this board or an online owners manual also available here).

I have not heard of these mirrors going out frequently but obviously that could happen and can't be ruled out.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Definitely not the problem I have, where it lights up but it won't pair to my door opener, and if it does it only works once, then acts as if its not paired at all again.

Best of luck.
      12-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Definitely not the problem I have, where it lights up but it won't pair to my door opener, and if it does it only works once, then acts as if its not paired at all again.

Best of luck.
There are multiple kinds of garage door openers. I'm currently deep into a garage renovation project, and I can tell you from personal experience that I have openers that will not pair easily or at all with a Homelink Mirror.

I have found that the very most basic sort of opener works the best for pairing. If you have an older style remote lying around that can be paired to your garage door opener, you could try programming that older remote and then using that remote to program your Homelink mirror. This approach has worked for me when a more modern remote refused to pair. Give it a try.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
hungrybreadbutterhustle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
That light can be hard to see, especially if you are surrounded by glare or facing the sun.

Assuming that the light does not come on, at all, then there is certainly something wrong, either with the mirror itself, the wiring to the mirror, or possibly a fuse. I would certainly check my fuse box for any burned out fuses (check the fuse diagram posted somewhere on this board or an online owners manual also available here).

I have not heard of these mirrors going out frequently but obviously that could happen and can't be ruled out.
Yes. Fair point. The light is definitely not on. I will try digging up the fuse diagram and see if there's something I can pinpoint.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
hungrybreadbutterhustle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post

Best of luck.
You may have a "rolling code" opener that tries to prevent replay attacks. This type of opener takes a few more steps to program. This is a nice simple explanation of how to accomplish a pairing:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=576838

Otherwise, here's the overload search.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
hungrybreadbutterhustle
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just got done checking the fuses and they were fine. Best guess is that they are 07 and 63 for the Integrated Universal Garage Door opener (see below), but let me know if you know otherwise? If the fuses are shared with (what looks like) the parking sensor, the parking sensor appears to be working fine.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
hungrybreadbutterhustle
Enlisted Member
Rep

I also just found this huge writeup in case this helps anyone else. It's useless for me since my LED still won't light up or react to anything:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...-flash-rapidly
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
parish99
Maveric
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 BSM

Were you able to get this resolved? I just purchased a used 2012 and I have the same issue with no led lighting up?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
mackeroni
Former Opel GT Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, AW, CR, 6MT

Did you check the windshield to see if the glass has been replaced?

I have been told by a glass dealer that they try to reuse the original electronics for the GD opener and the rain sensor, but sometimes they get messed up during the install. The owner of the car is asked if they want to pay for new electronics and sometimes they say no, so the new windshield is installed with non-working, partially-working or just flat missing electronics behind the mirror.
So, that's it. I am doomed. There is no patch, no methadone, no substitute. Curse you BMW. Curse you and your seamless power delivery. Curse the incredible sense of road feel. Curse the comfort, the luxury, the envious looks from the masses. I am... hopelessly addicted.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 11:49 PM   #11
parish99
Maveric
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 BSM

Actually I got it to work, feel kind of stupid but I didn't realize that the power to the mirror was not on unless you have ignition power on.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
Stewy_604
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrybreadbutterhustle View Post
You may have a "rolling code" opener that tries to prevent replay attacks. This type of opener takes a few more steps to program. This is a nice simple explanation of how to accomplish a pairing
^^ This. I had a hell of a time getting our Genie openers to pair with our vehicles. Once I figured out the process (couple extra steps), it works seamlessly.
Appreciate 0