11-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #1
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Tail of the Dragon

Hey gang ... Happy Thanksgivng!

I am bringing my 1m to south Florida from North Carolina and I am thinking abut a detour along the way to drive the Tail of the Dragon. I did Euro Delivery and enjoyed the Alpine passes and the Dragon looks to be a fun experience. Anyone here had the opportunity to drive this road?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 12:02 PM   #2
LukeM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

It's a lovely drive. I've done it a time or two, but never in a 1M. This time of year should be fantastic
Lots of drivers and riders have left body panels and paintwork as a memoir
Share some pics after your drive
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep

Ugh, I we looking at their web cam today and most all of the leaves are gone - may have missed the late fall window ....
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 08:38 PM   #4
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Terrific drive. Do it!

Neil
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      11-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

I went earlier this year in my M4. The drive is amazing and is definitely worth a journey.

A couple of pointers...

1) The Tail is a bit out of the ways just to drive it once. Many people drive it multiple times, take a break at the little store at the bottom and do it a few more time.

2) The first time you go, take it easy on the speed for two reasons. One, you will want to understand the curves and dips (some are VERY tight and dangerous). Two, there is usually 1 or 2 cops that just wait in the same spot. The cops are pretty lenient but if you are unusually fast or dangerous then they will pull you over. Once you figure out where they are then you know when you can up the speed.

3) Make sure your brakes are working correctly and at hot temps. I was taking a lot of speed into corners once I brought my confidence level up and nearly slid off the mountain.

4) Understeer, again, too much speed and you will not be able to turn in properly.

5) Stay on your side of the road. This is self explanatory but also the most important.

6) There are actually many roads around the Tail that are much less populated and just as fun/scenic to drive. Explore as much as possible.

7) Don't be intimidated by others behind you. There are a lot of sport bikes that are just crazy.

Good luck.

There are a handful of cameramen located along the tail that will take nice pics of you. You can then buy it online if you'd like. Just remember the name on their sign when you pass.
Appreciate 3
1M Tex240.00
Dylanize203.00
Tornado1M1209.00
      11-29-2016, 05:50 AM   #6
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep

I appreciate it all .... Wife has the car loaded now with Christmas presents and "stuff" for our son in West Palm Beach - more like a uhaul now versus a 1M. I am going to make it there - we need to organize a group trip in the summer or next Fall!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
I appreciate it all .... Wife has the car loaded now with Christmas presents and "stuff" for our son in West Palm Beach - more like a uhaul now versus a 1M. I am going to make it there - we need to organize a group trip in the summer or next Fall!
I do really want to go back there next year. Only issue is at some point next year I will be trading in my 1M .

Btw, you are aware that part of the area is experiencing forest fires right now? Around Gatlinburg I believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 05:09 AM   #8
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep

I am sure many of you have done long trips (especially Neil) in the 1m but after 815 miles yesterday I was very pleased with the comfort of the seats over the long haul. I love my 1M!

Sending out prayers to Tennessee and others affects by fires ......
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #9
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mGator View Post
I am sure many of you have done long trips (especially Neil) in the 1m but after 815 miles yesterday I was very pleased with the comfort of the seats over the long haul. I love my 1M!

Sending out prayers to Tennessee and others affects by fires ......
815 miles. That's weekend drive.

Toronto to San Diego with wife and two kids will put hair in your chest.
That's looooong haul! : )

Have fun, stay safe and our prayers are also with East Tennessee!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 06:57 AM   #10
RPChan
BMW for Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e93 M3 HT

Garage List
If the 1Mer's on here like the Tail of the Dragon we should organize a weekend in Eureka Springs Arkansas. Every year Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Mini, Corvette and Harley Davidson clubs meet there for a long weekend to drive the roads around that part of the state which are easily as exciting as the Dragon but go for closer to 80 miles at a stretch. It is not uncommon to go on a "tour" and drive a couple hundred miles.

I took my 1M with the Ferrari club a couple years ago and put on about 700 miles on tours in three days. The Mid-America 02Fest (BMW 2002's) meets there every year the last week of April. 2002's come from as far as Maine, Florida and California. It would be very cool to get a group of 1M's there.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #11
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
If the 1Mer's on here like the Tail of the Dragon we should organize a weekend in Eureka Springs Arkansas. Every year Porsche, Ferrari, Alfa Romeo, Mini, Corvette and Harley Davidson clubs meet there for a long weekend to drive the roads around that part of the state which are easily as exciting as the Dragon but go for closer to 80 miles at a stretch. It is not uncommon to go on a "tour" and drive a couple hundred miles.

I took my 1M with the Ferrari club a couple years ago and put on about 700 miles on tours in three days. The Mid-America 02Fest (BMW 2002's) meets there every year the last week of April. 2002's come from as far as Maine, Florida and California. It would be very cool to get a group of 1M's there.
Wow, cool. I'm about 6 hours from there in Dallas. I'd be willing to go. Do you have any other details? when, how long, etc..? Thanks!
Appreciate 0