BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
dko3tgk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 2012 DCT

do i need error free led's for interior lights?

I am looking to replace the two footwell wedge bulbs and two overhead cabin wedge bulbs with LED's to make them brighter. Not really as interested in color, just brightness.
Do we need canbus error free LED wedge bulbs for the interior? I know we need them for the angel eyes and tail bulbs, but what about the simple interior t10 wedge bulbs in the interior?

If it doesn't matter then there is alot of selection of name brand JDM bulbs, or whatever. But if it does matter it lessens the options.

I plan on keeping the map and vanity bulbs stock since I think the higher kelvin LED bulbs create a harsh glare.

Also if I do need canbus LED wedge bulbs, anyone have a recommendation? Not looking for an entire set, just 4 t10 LED wedge bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
dko3tgk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Maybe I didn't pose my question clearly enough, I have a tendency to do that.

For the interior dome light and footwell lights, wedge T10 bulbs. Do we need to have the canbus error free LED bulbs? Or can we basically use any LED T10 bulb.

Does it cause a bulb out warning if non-canbus led bulbs are used? Or because its such a low voltage non-essential bulb, the computer doesn't monitor this. Or do non canbus LED bulbs work at all? Maybe there's a wattage issue?

Anyone try installing any t10 led bulbs from ebay or non-BMW specific shops in their dome lights?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
kin74
Private
Italy
Rep
Drives: 120d

You do need the error free LED.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
dko3tgk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin74 View Post
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Mariobro34
Private
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

where are you looking to buy these? i'm also interested....
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
dko3tgk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariobro34 View Post
where are you looking to buy these? i'm also interested....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190590771459...ht_5031wt_1159

I bought these off Ebay. cheap, bright. Probably 2x-3x as bright as the incandescent stock. They are longer than incandescent bulbs, so I can't say if they fit in any other sockets besides the 4 that I used them for. No error codes. Pretty happy for a few bucks each.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:18 AM   #7
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kin74 View Post
Sorry to resurrect this, but I have the EXACT same question... Are you sure the interior bulbs are also monitored?

I pulled the cargo bulb out, and turned the car on and idled it for a minute, and saw no Bulb Out warning which I was expecting to get, if the car does monitor the interior bulbs too.

Or do you need to drive the car a bit for it to check them?

Do you have any sources for your info?

I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks more for a CANBUS bulb, but I've read on the site I was looking (superbrightleds), that they don't recommend buying a CANBUS bulb for a non-CANBUS application.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 02:27 AM   #8
litebulb
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 E88 135i M-Sport/6MT/SGM

Garage List
Hi,

I brought my set from here: http://www.precisionled.com/catalog/...1/category/78/

I don't know if there are CANBUS or not but I've had them in for almost 3 years with no problems. For E88 we don't have a dome light and switching to these help seeing stuff in the back seat. Also when I ordered mine the vanity mirrors were different. I don't know if they have updated the site.
| Dinan S2=>MHD | e46 M3 trans mounts | Dinan CF CAI | ER CP | HKS SSQV4 BOV | RB PCV Valve | VRSF DP | N55 MP | BMW PE | OC | VRSF 7" FMIC | UUC Evo3 SSK | EBC GD Sport Rotors | EBC Redstuff | TRW F+R | | Whiteline KDT918 | H&R Front Sway | BMWP 313 | MPSS 225/255 | Scopione CF Rear Diffuser | iCarbon CF Rear Spoiler | P3 v2.1 Gauge | Interior LED Retrofit |
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #9
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
I pulled the cargo bulb out, and turned the car on and idled it for a minute, and saw no Bulb Out warning which I was expecting to get, if the car does monitor the interior bulbs too.
It would seem to me that this is enough of a test to prove that the car doesn't monitor them.

I can't imagine why it would, it's not remotely related to safety or anything else. That doesn't mean they aren't monitored, but it's beyond silly.

I think if you pulled a couple bulbs and drove a couple times without any warnings, you'd know for certain you were good to go. There doesn't seem to be a better way to answer the question.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
It would seem to me that this is enough of a test to prove that the car doesn't monitor them.

I can't imagine why it would, it's not remotely related to safety or anything else. That doesn't mean they aren't monitored, but it's beyond silly.

I think if you pulled a couple bulbs and drove a couple times without any warnings, you'd know for certain you were good to go. There doesn't seem to be a better way to answer the question.
I thought that logic made sense... But FWIW a bulb vendor today wrote me on another forum:

If an LED doesn't have enough resistance (canbus) the vehicle will shut down the lights. So for instance if you installed a dome light that wasn't canbus it would initially light up and then shut off after a few seconds. I'm not sure if all of the interior lights are canbus but I know the dome lights are for sure.

Interior lights do not display error on the dashboard, they are just deactivated by the computer if they are not the correct bulb or if the bulb is removed. The computer just turns off the power to the light without displaying an error message on the dash.

Only exterior lights that are out or that are not compatible will display a dashboard error.

So that still leaves the question, how do you know in advance, which interior bulbs are Canbus, and which aren't???
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #11
MakeItRaine
Recovering 1addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

I used an $8 LED from Pep Boys for the glove box light and it works great. No errors just white light.
Appreciate 0