BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-04-2016, 07:21 PM   #1
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i | DCT | Dinan S2

SIB 12 36 16 and Throttle response issue

I have a 2011 E82 DCT and I have been experiencing an ongoing oil consumption issue as well as a throttle response delay.

The oil consumption issue is still being looked into by the dealership but they allegedly addressed the throttle response with reprograming the CAS as per SIB 12 36 15. This is per the service print out from the dealership also confirmed via conversation with the service manager.

What I don't comprehend is how could reprograming the CAS affect the throttle response.

I thought the CAS corresponded with the Comfort Access. I'm really confused.

Has anyone heard anything about SIB 12 36 15?

Last edited by 1DrivingEmbalmer; 05-04-2016 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 01:37 PM   #2
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
The programming only affects the DME module (engine management) in relation to this bulletin. CAS is mentioned only as the technician will get paid .2 of an hour more if the vehicle has Comfort Access because a few more procedures are in place for vehicles with Comfort Access. This is reflected in any bulletin that requires programming, and does not have anything to do with the issue and the Comfort Access module.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downeaster1 View Post
The programming only affects the DME module (engine management) in relation to this bulletin. CAS is mentioned only as the technician will get paid .2 of an hour more if the vehicle has Comfort Access because a few more procedures are in place for vehicles with Comfort Access. This is reflected in any bulletin that requires programming, and does not have anything to do with the issue and the Comfort Access module.
Thanks for your response fam, I now comprehend.

The vehicles throttle response does feel much better since the 12-36-15 programing throughout the entire gear range. I no longer feel any delay between shifts in the 2000-4000 rpm range.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

What's the difference in this SIB and 12-15-14? Mine has been acting OK since 12-15-14 was installed but curious what this one does that the other did not.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #5
PopsnBurbles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135is :) 192/586

Garage List
Is this a new SIB? How does it differ from 12 15 14?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #6
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post
What's the difference in this SIB and 12-15-14? Mine has been acting OK since 12-15-14 was installed but curious what this one does that the other did not.
I have no idea to be honest with you what the difference between the two bulletins could be.

Initially I was confused because the Service print out said that SIB 12-36-15 coincided with a CAS reprograming and my vehicle doesn't have comfort access.

One of our colleagues mentioned that it actually programs the DME so it must either be the same type of SIB that you guys got along with comfort access software for those who need it. Who knows.

Im just thankful that the throttle response finally feels better.

The car also seems to have a few more pops and burbles now also.

Last edited by 1DrivingEmbalmer; 12-05-2018 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsnBurbles View Post
Is this a new SIB? How does it differ from 12 15 14?
It must be, it was done within the past couple weeks and I couldn't find any information on it prior to posting.

I'm not sure of what the difference between they could be.

I made an error in the title its 12 36 15 not 12 36 16, I apologize.

Is there any way I can edit the title?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:21 PM   #8
TX135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i Coupe DCT

What was the complaint that you made to get them to do it? Just poor throttle response?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX135i View Post
What was the complaint that you made to get them to do it? Just poor throttle response?
The vehicle has also been having an abnormal increase in oil consumption.

So they have been/are looking into that as well the delayed throttle response in the 2000-4000 rpm range. It was even noticeable under hard acceleration especially after an upshift.

At one point it i had a quick sudden loss of throttle before a smooth return. it was very different to an intervention of DSC. It wasn't a nice experience.

The day that happened the vehicle also refused to start about 30 minutes after.

I had been complaining to my SA at the time at the dealership I go to about the throttle response and the fact that my car felt different after they worked on it one day.My concern was never taken seriously.

With the most recent issues I've been dealing with the Service manager.

I still don't know what exactly SIB 12 36 15 technically does to the DME in order to address the throttle response issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 05:03 PM   #10
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DrivingEmbalmer View Post

So they have been/are looking into that as well the delayed throttle response in the 2000-4000 rpm range. It was even noticeable under hard acceleration especially after an upshift.

At one point it i had a quick sudden loss of throttle before a smooth return. it was very different to an intervention of DSC. It wasn't a nice experience.

I had been complaining to my SA at the time at the dealership I go to about the throttle response and the fact that my car felt different after they worked on it one day.My concern was never taken seriously.

I still don't know what exactly SIB 12 36 15 technically does to the DME in order to address the throttle response issue.

When I get to a computer tomorrow, I'll go into detail about what specific priameters are changed and how it affects the engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #11
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:

The CAS is the "car access system" and has nothing to do with the comfort access, which is the CA control unit.

Either way it makes no difference as regardless of the bulletin number being referenced, if the car is programmed at the dealership all control units including the DME are brought up to the latest software version.

The problem youre having doesn't sound like a software issue, I would maybe try to get the shop foreman or service manager to go for a ride with you and show them what's going on.

Just curious, what did the dealer do to the car before you started having issues?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #12
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
The CAS is the "car access system" and has nothing to do with the comfort access, which is the CA control unit.

Either way it makes no difference as regardless of the bulletin number being referenced, if the car is programmed at the dealership all control units including the DME are brought up to the latest software version.

The problem youre having doesn't sound like a software issue, I would maybe try to get the shop foreman or service manager to go for a ride with you and show them what's going on.

Just curious, what did the dealer do to the car before you started having issues?
Actually, it is pertaining to comfort access. Cars with comfort access get paid an extra FRU when programming due to having to cycle KL15. The E8X/E9X module charts, CAS is comfort access. Only the E65/E66, and pre-facelift E60's list comfort access as CA.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #13
Gizmo135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i n55

Quote:
Actually, it is pertaining to comfort access. Cars with comfort access get paid an extra FRU when programming due to having to cycle KL15. The E8X/E9X module charts, CAS is comfort access. Only the E65/E66, and pre-facelift E60's list comfort access as CA.
Lol again not that it really matters in relation to the OP issues but no, the CAS is not the comfort access... it's the terminal control. That's why you have to turn the ignition off and on several times while programming the car, because it controls KL15. Maybe you should check a control module tree next time you do a short test.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When I get to a computer tomorrow, I'll go into detail about what specific priameters are changed and how it affects the engine.
Thank you! It would be nice to know what the difference is.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2016, 07:29 PM   #15
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you! It would be nice to know what the difference is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo135i View Post
Lol again not that it really matters in relation to the OP issues but no, the CAS is not the comfort access... it's the terminal control. That's why you have to turn the ignition off and on several times while programming the car, because it controls KL15. Maybe you should check a control module tree next time you do a short test.
...Which is controlled by comfort access. Hence why terminal control on F chassis cars don't require manual activation/deactivation
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #16
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

In some regions, it is possible to do a selective programming session. We recently got that feature which we've been withheld from for years.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 08:37 AM   #17
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Let us know what the oil issue was as well OP!
      02-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #18
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep

They are still uncertain as to what could be causing my oil consumption issue. within the past year the car has gone through a quart of oil every 500-600 miles. The only thing that was different from stock would have been the Dinan free flow exhaust. recently the water pump was replaced at approx 57000 miles and shortly thereafter I started to experience misfires causing the vehicle to go into limp mode.
I pick up the car tomorrow. They said they changed all the coils and injectors on the vehicle to address the misfire issue. But still no idea whats going on with the oil consumption as they said everything looks ok with the motor as far as leaks are concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize View Post
Let us know what the oil issue was as well OP!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:55 AM   #19
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder
Rep
Drives: AMG

Quote:
They are still uncertain as to what could be causing my oil consumption issue. within the past year the car has gone through a quart of oil every 500-600 miles. The only thing that was different from stock would have been the Dinan free flow exhaust. recently the water pump was replaced at approx 57000 miles and shortly thereafter I started to experience misfires causing the vehicle to go into limp mode.
I pick up the car tomorrow. They said they changed all the coils and injectors on the vehicle to address the misfire issue. But still no idea whats going on with the oil consumption as they said everything looks ok with the motor as far as leaks are concerned.
That's really weird. I wonder if the turbo could be burning oil.