BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

oil leak

I have a question for suspension gurus.
Took my 135i to the track yesterday, and when I was adjusting my koni yellow rear shock, I noticed light oil seepage from the top around the adjuster. The rest of the shock is dry. Didn't notice any change in performance, but I am concerned about it now.
What do you guys think?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 02:51 PM   #2
asbrr
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
I have a question for suspension gurus.
Took my 135i to the track yesterday, and when I was adjusting my koni yellow rear shock, I noticed light oil seepage from the top around the adjuster. The rest of the shock is dry. Didn't notice any change in performance, but I am concerned about it now.
What do you guys think?
Shouldn't be any leaks....sounds like a seal is starting to go which will eventually lead to a blown shock. They are rebuildable....so depending on the mileage you're at with these shocks, it's a good idea to start planning on when you'll do that. You'll need to send them out to get this done so your car will be out of commission for a few days unless you have a stock suspension you're willing to throw on....if you're paying someone for that it may not be worth the extra labour...so lots to think about.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm assuming you can clearly see the origin of the oil is from the shock body itself and not an external source? You mention it's right on the adjuster....that may not be from the internal seals then.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
Groundpilot
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbrr View Post
Shouldn't be any leaks....sounds like a seal is starting to go which will eventually lead to a blown shock. They are rebuildable....so depending on the mileage you're at with these shocks, it's a good idea to start planning on when you'll do that. You'll need to send them out to get this done so your car will be out of commission for a few days unless you have a stock suspension you're willing to throw on....if you're paying someone for that it may not be worth the extra labour...so lots to think about.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm assuming you can clearly see the origin of the oil is from the shock body itself and not an external source? You mention it's right on the adjuster....that may not be from the internal seals then.
That's right, its very clear that oil leak origin is from the top of the shock
As I said before, the rest od the shock is dry, so I assume that small amount of oil leaked from the seal around the adjuster itself?
I cleaned it, didn't check if its oily again. Will check later and report back
Appreciate 0